WAMC/School List Help MA Resident (3.93 cGPA 3.94 sGPA/516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BitofNothin

Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.94, Biomedical Engineering
2. MCAT: 516 (130/128/129/129)
3. MA Resident
4. ORM (Asian)
5. Generic State School, nowhere especially remarkable
6. 200 hrs (250 by app time hopefully) as an EMT. From 12/2022-Present
350+ anticipated over the summer as a PCT, may have 50 or so hrs here before app time
7. 350 hrs research in BME lab (no pubs or posters) (1/2022-1/2023)
300 hrs in organic chemistry lab (no pubs or posters, but working on an independent project that may get me a
paper or two in the next year, probably after app time though) (9/2022-Present)
8. 30 Hours shadowing (General Surgery in OR and clinic)
9. 200 hrs outreach member, showing science demos to elementary and middle school kids to get them excited abt science (9/2020-Present)
100 hrs food bank volunteer (9/2022-Present)
10. 100 hrs as a pre-med mentor, TA for biochem, supplemental instructor for physics 2
11. In school honors college, Dean's List every semester

I need help making a school list. I feel like my hours are kind of low, but I hope that 0 gap years and decent stats can make up for that.

Current school list (VERY open to suggestions): UMass Med, Tufts, BU, UMich, UC San Fran

Members don't see this ad.

If your undergrad had a medical school or was near one, you can apply to that too if it was outside MA.

I suggest:

Tufts
Boston
UMass
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Dartmouth
Saint Louis
Creighton
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Vermont
Wake
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Iowa
VCU
EVMS
USF
Nova MD
Miami
Western Michigan
Hackensack
Colorado
Quinnipiac

Your science outreach and tutoring show science competency, not service orientation. So you only list 100 hours, which is barely minimal... you could still be eliminated for not showing service orientation. Nothing overcomes having not enough experience in service orientation for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your science outreach and tutoring show science competency, not service orientation. So you only list 100 hours, which is barely minimal... you could still be eliminated for not showing service orientation. Nothing overcomes having not enough experience in service orientation for most schools.
Just wondering, if the outreach program was towards more traditionally disadvantaged children, as the areas we visit are lower income, would that show service orientation? Like the whole point is getting kids who wouldn’t get this kind of exposure to science that exposure. Just wondering, thanks!

If your undergrad had a medical school or was near one, you can apply to that too if it was outside MA.

I suggest:

Tufts
Boston
UMass
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Dartmouth
Saint Louis
Creighton
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Vermont
Wake
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Iowa
VCU
EVMS
USF
Nova MD
Miami
Western Michigan
Hackensack
Colorado
Quinnipiac
I’ll look into those thank you!

Just wondering, if the outreach program was towards more traditionally disadvantaged children, as the areas we visit are lower income, would that show service orientation? Like the whole point is getting kids who wouldn’t get this kind of exposure to science that exposure. Just wondering, thanks!
Yes as a science competency. You could be a museum docent educating low income students too. Not as service orientation.

Reactions: 1 user