MD WAMC/School List: nontrad ORM 3.3/513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehtgnik

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning ... my numbers are so crappy and there's no way around that.
  1. cGPA and sGPA
    undergrad: cGPA 3.32, sGPA 3.27
    grad (not SMP): c/sGPA 3.57

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    Georgia

4. Ethnicity and/or race
    Asian/Vietnamese

5. Undergraduate institution or category
    state school
    -BS Biology
    -MS Molecular & Cell Biology

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    Volunteer:
    -created a solo volunteership program aimed to bridge the cultural and language gap between Vietnamese immigrants and healthcare professionals. AKA a Patient liaison/transporter/interpreter. freelance/appointment based over 7-8 years. Maybe around 1000-1500 hours? Very focused on reminding patients to get their appropriate screening for cancers.
    -patient transporter/assistant at a cancer center (college program): 2 semesters, about 200 hours

Non-Volunteer: 5 years as ED and OP GI Scribe. Idek how many hours, multiple thousands (4-5+?)

7. Research experience and productivity
    not listing hours because its not measurable ... multiple thousands

Undergrad:
    -1.5 years as the lead investigator in a newly established molecular parasitology lab. Given poorly funded and new lab (no grad students or post docs, just me), no publications. But presented at 2 local conferences, 1 national conference, and 1 international conference
    -1 year in an applied microbio lab. Established graduate lab (albeit not alot of funding). 2 middle author publications (not high impact)

Grad:
    -7 months in cancer bio lab. Nothing came out of it except I learned your PI and lab environment determine productivity and sanity
    -2 years in initial molecular parasitology lab. Wrote, defended and published a thesis. Presented at 2 international conferences

Gap:
    -Pediatric oncology lab at very well established lab at a medical school. currently 7 months but planned to stay until matriculation (2 years). My most significant experience prior to medical school. Involved in meaningful basic science and translational projects that are contributing directly to pre-clinical and clinical trials. Currently published as 2nd author. Expect to be in 2 more publications prior to interviews

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    -EM (see scribing). ~30 docs.
    -GI (see scribing). 5 docs
    -Pediatric/Oncology. My current PI is clinical director as well as director of a specialized therapy program, so I get to shadow really cool consultations and patient visits
    -Surgery (multiple specialties). Did Atlantis Project for a summer in Budapest.

9. Non-clinical volunteering
    -not very strong, but I was a very adamant advocate for underrepresented/disadvantaged students in regard to attending college and studying abroad. Throughout undergrad, I held regular connections/workshops/meetings/presentations with high school seniors (to help apply for scholarships/essay writing) as well as undergrads (find the right study abroad program for them, apply for scholarships. Some success stories.

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    -2 semester as vice president of a biology honors society - helped prepare undergrads to be competitive professional candidates (org had about 80 students yearly) with professional seminars, conferences, etc.
    -2 years as molecular parasitology TA/instructor. (research and lecture based). Developed curriculum - not the typical biol or chem labs.
    -2 semesters studying abroad in 20 countries, studying biomedical ethics, global public health, and issues in access to healthcare
    -completed 2 online Harvard Medical certificate programs (onco-immunology, oncogenetics, benefiting my current research interests)
    -completed ScienceStanding online certificate programs (oncology)

11. Relevant honors or awards
    -Bill & Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar (competitive, funded my undergrad, study abroad, masters, and potentially a phd which I am also applying for in december)
    -graduate (MS/PhD) award for exceptional instruction
    -graduate leadership award
    -multiple study abroad scholarships (not really relevant)

12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    You probably noticed - very research oriented, cancer focused background. I want to go into Peds/IM residency (do research) followed by a heme/onc fellowship. Interested in physician-scientist career investigating intricacies of solid tumors.
Schools I'm thinking about:
I know I have too many schools I'm not a very good candidate for, number wise. Hoping my experience, strong letters of rec, and clear vision of the doctor I want to be get me there. Used Wedge to help choose (B category). For category 4 and 5 I chose schools that had SOME sort of research/NIH funding. You'll see no DO schools because I didn't shadow any DO docs. I guess I need help adding the "lower rank" schools.

Home Schools:
Emory
Medical College of Georgia
Morehouse
Mercer

Category 1 (LOL, my why not schools)
Harvard
hopkins
Duke
UCSF

Category 2
cleveland clinic lerner
mayo
michigan
NYU
pitt
sinai
case western

Category 3
UVA
Ohio State
USC-Keck
Rochester
Dartmouth
Einstein
Hofstra
UNC

Category 4 and 5
UAB
Miami
iowa
maryland
cincinatti
u colorado
u wisconsin
u illinois
virginia commonwealth
wayne
Indiana
SUNY downstate
vermont
wake forest
USF morsani

Extras
oakland
upenn

SORRY THIS IS SO LONG! I'm so nervous for this cycle, and I know my GPA is so so so so sad. Any help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just going to throw this out there incase you didn't know: you don't need DO shadowing to apply to DO schools. Do you research through the different schools, but a lot of them don't require a letter from a DO or evidence of working with a DO. Best of luck! The cycle is arduous, don't psych yourself out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just going to throw this out there incase you didn't know: you don't need DO shadowing to apply to DO schools. Do you research through the different schools, but a lot of them don't require a letter from a DO or evidence of working with a DO. Best of luck! The cycle is arduous, don't psych yourself out.
Ahh thats good to know. I guess I've always heard in the past that you shouldn't apply to DO if you can't answer "why are you applying to DO" (besides I have bad numbers). But I'll look into it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh thats good to know. I guess I've always heard in the past that you shouldn't apply to DO if you can't answer "why are you applying to DO" (besides I have bad numbers). But I'll look into it. Thanks!
The story I laid out in my PS really aligns with DO philosophy, but honestly, every doctor I've met has a similar philosophy of creating bonds and taking care of their patients with that "hOliStIc" approach. If you feel you're right for a given DO school, then apply and show them why you're a good fit.

Did you use the MSAR to develop your list of schools? You seem to have lots of OOS public schools listed. Many(most) of them seem to focus on their own residents. If they do consider OOS applicants it is usually applicants with strong ties and better stats. Was your grad program a full on masters or was it more of a DIY post bacc? If it was a post bacc , are the grades averaged into your undergrad GPAs? Your undergrad GPAs are low for MD. Is that MCAT score, your only MCAT score?

Reactions: 1 user
Your category I, 2 and 3 schools are totally unrealistic with your GPAs. You have many state public schools in your category 4 and 5 list that accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia