WAMC/School List Reapplicant 3.87/509 ORM, NY resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldo_

Reaction score
Hi guys! Looking for any input on how to strengthen my application for the upcoming cycle/narrow down an optimal school list. Any and all help is greatly appreciated thank you so much!
  1. GPA sGPA by AMCAS: Biological Science Major. Cumulative - 3.87; Science - 3.86
  2. MCAT with breakdown: 509 (126/125/130/128)
  3. State: NY
  4. Ethnicity: White male
  5. Undergraduate institution: T40 Public institution
  6. Clinical experience
    1. Ophthalmic technician (1800 hrs) - current position during gap year
    2. MEDLIFE Volunteer (40 hours) service trip
  7. Research experience
    1. 200 hours working on a medical device prototype. Was not typical bench lab research. Currently looking for a more research oriented position.
  8. Shadowing
    1. 78 hours with an orthopedic surgeon
  9. Non clinical volunteer
    1. Biochemistry TA for one semester (80 hours)
    2. Club Lacrosse (200 hours)
    3. Undergraduate mentor for multiple semesters (75 hours)
  10. Other EC
    1. Inventory Assistant (460 hours) - stocking medical supplies and chemotherapy for a hematology/oncology office. Not clinical*
    2. Dean's List 8x, academic honors societies
  11. Anything else
    1. Reapplicant - had 2 interviews, submitted secondaries late Sept/Oct due to personal reasons.
    2. Previous School List
Albany Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
George Washington School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College
Vermont
Drexel University College of Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple
New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

You have no nonclinical service hours like working in ER, hospice or shelter. That will be noticed. I would work on that for sure asap.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have no nonclinical service hours like working in ER, hospice or shelter. That will be noticed. I would work on that for sure asap.
@ujsc is right. You have no nonclinical volunteering focusing the unserved/underserved in your community. This is a hole in your application. You need about 200 hours in this area. You should also try to get some shadowing hours with a primary care doc.
What did you apply with the first time. How have you significantly improved your application from your first cycle?
What is the MEDLIFE service trip? Where did you go, what did you do?
Although you have 1800 hours as An Opthamologic technician those people weren’t really sick, injured or dying. Maybe try to get some direct patient contact with the sick and injured.

Reactions: 1 user
@ujsc is right. You have no nonclinical volunteering focusing the unserved/underserved in your community. This is a hole in your application. You need about 200 hours in this area. You should also try to get some shadowing hours with a primary care doc.
What did you apply with the first time. How have you significantly improved your application from your first cycle?
What is the MEDLIFE service trip? Where did you go, what did you do?
Although you have 1800 hours as An Opthamologic technician those people weren’t really sick, injured or dying. Maybe try to get some direct patient contact with the sick and injured.
Yes thank you for the advice, I have begun to volunteer at a local soup kitchen but hours are still a work in progress. MEDLIFE was a medical mission trip to Peru, helped provide primary care to underserved in the area surrounding a major city.

I suggest adding these schools to your list:
Stony Brook
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these: