WAMC +School list (school list more): Re-Applicant 3.85 cGPA/3.79sGPA/523. California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trippanzee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: California
Ties to other States/Regions: No
Race: White
Year in School: Senior
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): B.A Biology & BA in PH
School: UC Berkeley
Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.78
MCAT Score(s): 523 (130/131/130/132)
Research Experience:
-NEW: Clinical Research Coordinator at large public university. Thousands of hours working with physicians to design and execute studies. Involved in study design, participant consent, followup and some data analysis. No publications as of yet, but likely over the application year.
-I worked in an infectious disease lab for three years studying Listeria monocytogenes. I may be published in a paper that is coming out soon, but it's likely the paper will not be published before the end of the year.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.):
I presented my personal research in a research symposium at large public university. Research nominated for award.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
-NEW: Worked as a clinical research coordinator at a large public university. Consented patients in multiple studies. Helped with study design. Studies range from gender-affirming care to stem cell research. In the clinic, hospital and OR everyday. (2k+)
-I worked at a covid testing center administering oral covid tests to the local population. (Paid, ~300 hours)
-Volunteered for my university testing services as a “swab coach,” directing patients on how to administer self swabs. (volunteer,~30 hours )

Physician Shadowing:
-50 hours at an orthopedic clinic
-routinely work with physicians in the clinic, hospital and OR over past year.

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-NEW:Local soup kitchen (70 hours completed, planning on doing through application year)
-NEW:Hospital-based food program that allows physicians to write food insecure “food prescriptions” (40 hours)
-Volunteered at a community clinic in Oakland collecting patient data via a survey. This helped the clinic adjust it's patient outreach and through my data more effectively reach the patient population. (survey health with vaccination and medical distrust) (~100 hours)

Leadership: I taught a student leadership course about cancer in the modern-day at my university for three years. The largest class to date had 90 students. I discuss the underlying causes of cancer, the modern responses to it and also bring in expert speakers to address topics I am unable to cover. These guest speakers range from oncologists to people who have had significant personal experiences with cancer. (200+)

Other Extracurricular Activities:
- I love surfing, skiing, and backpacking.

Other Employment History:
-I worked for a biotech company during the pandemic that collected and tested samples of COVID-19 via rt-PCR. I worked in the lab aliquoting samples and helping to run them on the PCR machines. (~320 hours)

Additional information.
I am a reapplicant. Interviews at two T5s this past cycle. 1 R,1 WL. New activities include several thousand hours as a research coordinator and around 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering.

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y, mother is a nurse
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Emergency medicine, primary care/internal medicine, and trauma surgery
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
Medical School List: (really fluid rn)
-UCSF
-Stanford
-NorthWestern
-Columbia
-UCLA
-UCI
-Michigan
-Yale
-UCSD
-Boston U
-UCI
-UC Davis
-Ucolorado
-Einstein
-Hopkins
-

Members don't see this ad.

One correction: The year in school is not correct. I graduated last May.

Members don't see this ad :)
The additional hours will help your cause. Good luck getting off the WL.

How did you demonstrate your interest in rural health and primary care?
For rural: About half my family grew up/lives in rural areas. For primary care, one of my role models is a primary care doc and I really admire his lifestyle and work.

No specific work towards either calling beyond that. Hoping to get more experience in these areas through med school.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Yale
Harvard
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
Jefferson
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
Colorado

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Yale
Harvard
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
Jefferson
U Penn
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
Colorado
Amazing, thank you for your input!

Bump- Would appreciate some more school suggestions, especially "safety schools"! Thank you to anyone in advance