WAMC & School List Suggestion For NJ Applicant (2024-2025 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medcarrot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[...]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 300h. Projected 400h before time of application.
It would help us to know what you are doing, and why it is important to you. Were all these related to being a "social justice program scholar"? I don't see anything that makes you stand out in the T20 applicant pool, but if you feel you have something, it's your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
My nonprofit coordinator paid employment, social justice program scholar, and business research connect together in at least one main aspect (I just don't want to doxx myself by sharing too many details). I would say the nonprofit coordinator position had the most visible outcomes in terms of public policy implementation, however, I only spent 2 summers in this job so I'm not sure how substantial it would be in the end.
For the nonclinical volunteering, most are from a longitudinal experience since high school, volunteering with and holding interactive concerts for high school students with neurological disorders. This ties into my passion for music which would, I would presume, to be evident through my activities & hobbies.

I agree, I do not have something that particularly makes me stand out, I was just wondering if someone like me who has everything "in order" but nothing that particularly stands out should give it a shot or if it would be a waste of money. I don't want to apply to too many schools and don't want to spend too much money on applications.

Thank you so much for your reply! Please let me know if you have any further comments or questions.
Just posted

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston University
Brown
Yale
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
USF Morsani
Miami
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Kaiser
Mayo

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston University
Brown
Yale
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
USF Morsani
Miami
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Kaiser
Mayo
Thank you so much! Are there any schools on this list that are more so research or service-heavy? If so, do you think my app would fit their focus?

I was just wondering if someone like me who has everything "in order" but nothing that particularly stands out should give it a shot or if it would be a waste of money. I don't want to apply to too many schools and don't want to spend too much money on applications.
Mission fit determines your success. Period. You can't compare with others because other people bring other assets. The response is meant to address your desire for a T20 school. The fact is that you will probably spend too much money of applications. Most successful matriculants only get 1 interview.

Thank you so much! Are there any schools on this list that are more so research or service-heavy? If so, do you think my app would fit their focus?
You have the stats for any of them. St. Louis and Georgetown are more service oriented

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on being research focused. Einstein and Mount Sinai are research focused for example. That is clearly your specialty.

Focus on being research focused. Einstein and Mount Sinai are research focused for example. That is clearly your specialty.
Got it, thank you! Two follow-up questions:
1) Even without ample research productivity (manuscripts, publications, etc.) is my application still research-heavy? Also considering much of it is not lab and I, for some reason, was under the impression that research focus for certain schools meant wet lab?
2) If I applied to flexmed mt. sinai (their early assurance program for sophomores) but was not even offered an interview, should I stay clear of Mt. Sinai?

Thank you again!

1) Yes. 1000hr+ in research is more rare than 1000hr+ in clinical. Publications would help too. But the low percentage of wet lab isn’t the problem. It is the business research.

2) No still apply! Don’t close open doors because of preconceived notions.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Yes. 1000hr+ in research is more rare than 1000hr+ in clinical. Publications would help too. But the low percentage of wet lab isn’t the problem. It is the business research.

2) No still apply! Don’t close open doors because of preconceived notions.
Thank you! And sorry, just to confirm, why is business research the problem?

Mission fit determines your success. Period. You can't compare with others because other people bring other assets. The response is meant to address your desire for a T20 school. The fact is that you will probably spend too much money of applications. Most successful matriculants only get 1 interview.
Got it, thank you sm for all of the advice!