WAMC / School List Texas Applicant MCAT 517 sGPA 3.15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarencetower

Reaction score
1. cGPA - 3.45, sGPA - 3.15
2. MCAT 517 (128/129/130/130)
3. Texas Resident
4. White ORM
5. Texas private university biology undergrad
6. Paid clinical - 75 hours outpatient radiology center intern, 1500 hours OR assistant, unpaid clinical 50 hours FM clinic volunteer
7. Research - no labs, 1 article cited as literature research assistant, 40 hours, mini medical Spanish thesis - 30 hours
8. shadowing - 100 hours FM, 30 hours various
9. Non-clinical volunteer - 75 hours community service org
10. 4 year D1 club athlete, multi year leadership in 2 campus orgs, 1 year president of athletic club
11. taught English in foreign country for a year, 2 years lifeguarding, 3 years self employed landscaping type business
12. intermediate-advanced Spanish speaker, non-native

Applying all Texas schools, complete by mid-july
Applying AMCAS/AACOMAS

AMCAS school list draft as follows, looking for recs to delete/add

Albany
TCU
Arizona Tucson
Netter Quinnipiac
Colorado
George Washington
Central Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Boston University
Drexel
Tulane
MC Wisconsin
U Wisconsin
Vermont Larner
NYMC
WVU SOM
Rutgers RWJ
Katz Temple
Loyola Stritch
Penn State
SUNY Downstate
Keck
UIC (Illinois)
Hawaii (strong ties)

Members don't see this ad.

OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants with your GPAs since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. TCU and Tulane are realistic. You should apply to DO schools also and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants with your GPAs since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. TCU and Tulane are realistic. You should apply to DO schools also and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
do you think I should take the majority of those schools off my AMCAS list then? maybe they will see that I dont necessarily have a GPA competitive for Texas and thus would be more likely to go out of state

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-clinical volunteer - 75 hours community service org
What were you doing? Let it also be said, you need at least 150 hours of non-clinical community service showing service orientation where the applicant shows humility in communion with those in distress.
do you think I should take the majority of those schools off my AMCAS list then? maybe they will see that I dont necessarily have a GPA competitive for Texas and thus would be more likely to go out of state
That's not how we see this. Your GPA is likely too low for being a competitive OOS applicant because we get the best of that part of our pools.

Your sGPA is below the 10th percentile for most of those MD schools so there is no point in applying to those schools.

What were you doing? Let it also be said, you need at least 150 hours of non-clinical community service showing service orientation where the applicant shows humility in communion with those in distress.

That's not how we see this. Your GPA is likely too low for being a competitive OOS applicant because we get the best of that part of our pools.
it was various activities through habitat for humanity helping to renovate houses and assist people moving etc, manual labor type of stuff. Do you think I should take off most of the schools then? I know I dont have the gpa to be competitive but I am trying to apply broadly to give myself the best shot at getting in

Reactions: 1 user
Your sGPA is below the 10th percentile for most of those MD schools so there is no point in applying to those schools.
I had friends that got accepted last cycle with GPA's below the 10th percentile, granted there are many other factors obviously but someone has to be the bottom 10 percent, so I'm hoping at least one of the schools would see something in me. Is this an ignorant mindset? also my MCAT is 90th percentile at many of those schools so I was hoping that would alleviate some of the detriment from my GPA

I had friends that got accepted last cycle with GPA's below the 10th percentile, granted there are many other factors obviously but someone has to be the bottom 10 percent, so I'm hoping at least one of the schools would see something in me. Is this an ignorant mindset? also my MCAT is 90th percentile at many of those schools so I was hoping that would alleviate some of the detriment from my GPA
If you want to believe that those schools will accept Texas applicants with your GPAs then go ahead and apply to them. It is your money and time.

If you want to believe that those schools will accept Texas applicants with your GPAs then go ahead and apply to them. It is your money and time.
I am just asking for advice, not trying to argue

it was various activities through habitat for humanity helping to renovate houses and assist people moving etc, manual labor type of stuff. Do you think I should take off most of the schools then? I know I dont have the gpa to be competitive but I am trying to apply broadly to give myself the best shot at getting in
If you did a lot with H4H, that will help you a lot for service orientation, especially once you get to 150 hours.

We deal mostly in probabilities and limited information (because we don't have your AMCAS), so being in the lower 10th to 25th percentile range of a matriculating class usually comes with a stronger mission fit (such as growing up in the area of the school). As it stands, it's hard to know if your sGPA will hold you back. If you have shown significant year-by-year improvement of your GPA though (like the last 30-60 credits, your sGPA was above a 3.6?), there may be some schools that may keep your application in play.

I am just asking for advice, not trying to argue
In recent years for Texas MD applicants, approximately 1,500 matriculate to a Texas school and 250 to OOS MD schools. Many of those 250 would be URM, legacies, or those who are former residents of another state or who attended undergraduate or graduate school in another state. Some are very high stat applicants that some schools would find appealing (GPA 3.8 or higher AND MCAT 518 or higher). You do not appear to be in any of those groups so your chances are very low for OOS MD schools. DO schools do not have that bias towards Texas applicants to apply broadly to DO schools.

In recent years for Texas MD applicants, approximately 1,500 matriculate to a Texas school and 250 to OOS MD schools. Many of those 250 would be URM, legacies, or those who are former residents of another state or who attended undergraduate or graduate school in another state. Some are very high stat applicants that some schools would find appealing (GPA 3.8 or higher AND MCAT 518 or higher). You do not appear to be in any of those groups so your chances are very low for OOS MD schools. DO schools do not have that bias towards Texas applicants to apply broadly to DO schools.
what do you think my chances would be like for DO schools? I'm planning on applying to many of them

You are a very good candidate for DO schools and should receive several interviews.
Is yield protection something to worry about? I hear about it but idk how real it is, my worry is that my MCAT will be too high that they would overlook me or something

Is yield protection something to worry about? I hear about it but idk how real it is, my worry is that my MCAT will be too high that they would overlook me or something
Yield protection does not occur with most DO schools. Your Texas DO schools will not yield protect.