WAMC/School List, TX Resident, 4.0/517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalimba

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am planning on applying to medical school this upcoming 2024/2025 cycle and need some help building a school list both in TX and OOS. I am an Asian ORM Male Texas Resident from a large public university with a 4.0/517 MCAT. I am a bit worried about my MCAT for my OOS list so I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you :)

Majors: Public Health and Sociology, traditional applicant
Clinical: 500 clinical hospital volunteering hours at local hospital
Research: 1300 hours across 3 labs/groups with one poster and submitted pub. Two competitive summer research internships.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 60 hours as a peer health educator, 120 hours teaching english at refugee shelter, 120 hours public health prevention volunteering
Teaching: TA for 240 hours
Shadowing: 150 hours across 4 specialties
Other: 500 hours summer congressional internship in DC, 300 hours health policy internship, officer of two orgs at university (one social justice related and other pre-med org), two consulting projects for social health organizations.

TX:
BCM
UTSW
McGovern
UTMB
Long
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Paul L. Foster
UT Tyler

OOS:
UCSD
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
GWU
U Wisconsin Madison
UMiami

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In general Texas is going to be cheaper so don't disregard the TMDSAS schools. You have an advantage there compared to going OOS, especially since your non-clinical service orientation activities are light.

Two of the three activities are health-adjacent and focus on prevention/wellness. However, they do not address individuals in distress, which is part of the original definition for "service orientation." Teaching English to refugees is better, but have you done something else in the shelter than teach or tutor? I am also not sure if you are teaching English to people with a similar cultural heritage as your own.

Do some community service work that addresses service orientation and not in a position as a subject matter expert: food distribution, shelter volunteer (not teaching), job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation.

You do have your internships in DC. Do you have any activities that are service-oriented that tie into the internships? Why not go straight into health policy? It seems natural given your majors.

In general Texas is going to be cheaper so don't disregard the TMDSAS schools. You have an advantage there compared to going OOS, especially since your non-clinical service orientation activities are light.

Two of the three activities are health-adjacent and focus on prevention/wellness. However, they do not address individuals in distress, which is part of the original definition for "service orientation." Teaching English to refugees is better, but have you done something else in the shelter than teach or tutor? I am also not sure if you are teaching English to people with a similar cultural heritage as your own.

Do some community service work that addresses service orientation and not in a position as a subject matter expert: food distribution, shelter volunteer (not teaching), job/tax preparation, transportation services, housing rehabilitation.

You do have your internships in DC. Do you have any activities that are service-oriented that tie into the internships? Why not go straight into health policy? It seems natural given your majors.
Thank you! I could probably add either food distribution or housing rehabilitation related service this semester. The prevention volunteering is in the same area as my policy internships and the shelter is adjacent to policies I worked on in the congressional internship. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I could probably add either food distribution or housing rehabilitation related service this semester. The prevention volunteering is in the same area as my policy internships and the shelter is adjacent to policies I worked on in the congressional internship. Is there anything else that I am missing?
Obviously do things that you are passionate in learning more about. The additional service orientation activities will just help cement this for you. Be aware many medical schools and health systems are adopting more of these activities as they see a larger impact with community health if they are more involved.

Obviously do things that you are passionate in learning more about. The additional service orientation activities will just help cement this for you. Be aware many medical schools and health systems are adopting more of these activities as they see a larger impact with community health if they are more involved.
Of course, thanks! Are there any OOS schools that I would be competitive for too?

Of course, thanks! Are there any OOS schools that I would be competitive for too?
I defer to the listmakers, but if you search the WAMC forum for other Texas applicants, you'll get an idea of the schools that have a history of taking Texas applicants.

Don't forget to seek APAMSA chapter officers, especially at non-Texas schools to see if their programs have had a history taking Texas applicants similar to you.

Why not apply to Dell? I had your exact same stats as an ORM. Didn't end up applying AMCAS. DM me if you want to talk about the TMDSAS process.

Reactions: 1 user