WAMC/School List, Very Strong ECs, 3.88/516 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argo326

Reaction score
1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:

3.88 cGPA/3.80 sGPA; English major

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown:

516, 129/130/130/127;

3. State of residence:

NY

4. Ethnicity or race:

Asian, ORM, F

5. Undergraduate institution or category:

Top 5

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 2 experiences, 650 hrs

a) College, nonvolunteer, 500 hrs on fellowship for a clinical trial, interviewing and consenting patients, general hospital
b) College, volunteer, 150 hrs working with underserved patients at a nearby free clinic

7. Research - 2 experiences, 900 hrs, 3 pubs

a) Gap year 1, 400 hrs research assistant for a major clinical trial at a top hospital (MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, etc.) working in oncology. Drug was later fast-tracked by the FDA.
b) College, 500 hrs, bioinformatics / basic science lab working on epigenetic modification.
c) 3 mid-author publications total, 1 Cell, 2 Nature Comms; 1 poster presentation

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - 3 experiences, 200+ hrs

a) Gap year 1: 150 hrs oncology
b) College: 50 hrs ICU
c) Gap year 2: predicted 200-300 hrs primary care, surgery, anaesthesia; will start this month

9. Volunteering - 3 experiences, 4000 hrs

a) Gap year 1, 1700 hrs in AmeriCorps for 1 yr. Worked with 20+ NGOs, government agencies in disaster relief, wildlife conservation, rural development, etc, in terrible conditions, working directly with populations in need.

b) College, 1800 hrs in community outreach for my club over 4 yrs. Used my experience from AmeriCorps to bring attention to issues in the community, used campus resources to support local populations, started an after school program, etc.

c) College, 300 hrs in founding a non-profit for sexual assault survivors in the community I worked with in my club; non-profit is still active across the city today and has had longitudinal impact in providing resources, help, medical services, etc.

10. Other activities or events of note - 4,000+ hrs

a) Gap year 2, aka the present, I work at a biotech VC fund. We do deal analysis, due diligence, etc. working very closely with top tier researchers to produce a marketable drug. About 2000 hrs done, 4000 total projected.

b) College, 300 hrs or so over 4 years in teaching. Activities included working as a science TA, as a writing tutor with the college, and as a general tutor for underserved children

c) College, 400 hrs or so; designed a program with museum to reduce mental health stigma in an undeserved population, grant is fully funded + still serving today.

d) Had a unique and life-threatening event happen end of last year. It seriously affected my wellbeing and that of my family's, and we're still struggling with it today. I will 100% be talking about it in secondaries and my LORs will reference it as well. Not directly medical related, but definitely a good example of resilience/resourcefulness, etc.

11. Awards/Fellowships

Two national service awards, dean's list for top 10%, cum laude, national merit finalist award, a couple of research fellowships.

12. School List

This is where I'm stuck. My narrative is that I am a service-heavy, well-rounded applicant who wants to use my experience in the research-to-clinic pipeline to help populations more broadly in med school. I'd like to apply to T20 schools, but I'm concerned my MCAT score will hold me back. I'd also like to go somewhere that has a business school with startup activity around it, just so I can continue networking on the side. Would very much prefer to stay on the East Coast, with the exception of Stanford/UCSF for their research and general networking opportunities. Please let me know if my school list is even in the realm of reasonable.

1. Colorado (has a great incubator program)
2. Duke
3. Georgetown
4. Tufts
5. Kaiser Permanente
6. Keck
7. UCSD
8. UMich
9. Vanderbilt
10. BU
11. Mt. Sinai
12. Cornell
13. Harvard
14. Yale
15. Brown
16. Stanford
17. UCSF
18. Northwestern
19. UChicago
20. Baylor
21. And more-- aiming for a list of about 30 or so

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely narrow down yourself list much more, and this is dependent on exactly how you want to leverage your entrepreneurial focus with service orientation.
my experience in the research-to-clinic pipeline to help populations more broadly
You have a better idea what this looks like, and you risk going over the head of most screeners. I'm a fan of entrepreneurs in medicine, and I enjoy listening to SoPE presentations. But I need a clearer vision of what you are talking about. I'm guessing you have mire details that you are withholding.

Obviously you are on the right path.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:
NYU (maybe)
Columbia
JHU (maybe)
WashU (maybe)
Northwestern
Vanderbilt (maybe)
Harvard (maybe)
Yale (maybe)
Cornell (maybe)
U Chicago (maybe)
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need any more shadowing hours. Remove UCSD since they admit few non residents with no connection to the state.
You could add these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Dartmouth
Rochester
Pittsburgh

I suggest:
NYU (maybe)
Columbia
JHU (maybe)
WashU (maybe)
Northwestern
Vanderbilt (maybe)
Harvard (maybe)
Yale (maybe)
Cornell (maybe)
U Chicago (maybe)
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM

Thank you so much! I wanted to ask about the "Maybes"-- is there a good chance I'll be screened out right off the bat because of my MCAT? I'm a strong writer with great LORs, so wondering if it'd be worth the shot. That score really feels like Achilles' heel of my app.

Vandy and Hopkins are stats heavy and will probably screen you out for MCAT as an ORM.

Vandy and Hopkins are stats heavy and will probably screen you out for MCAT as an ORM.
NYU, UChicago and WashU as well. Yale seems to be caring more as well with their MCAT now at like 522 median. All the "maybes" will be tough here with OP's MCAT and being ORM.

Please be warned, we don't know with the upcoming SCOTUS decision whether this is going to happen or be allowed to stand.

The OP has 1 year of Americorps experience, which will boost service orientation. MCAT may prevent more success with the brand schools, but they also are attracted to a brighter, shinier display of accomplishment (Rhodes, Gates, Churchill).

Networking is going to help sharpen the focus on this picture. Is it more important to get positioned for better community-service positions, or should the OP want more opportunities to do entrepreneurial activities like Shark Tank/pitch competitions? As you see from the links, you can do this at mid-tiers if you search hard enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much! I wanted to ask about the "Maybes"-- is there a good chance I'll be screened out right off the bat because of my MCAT? I'm a strong writer with great LORs, so wondering if it'd be worth the shot. That score really feels like Achilles' heel of my app.
Your score is around the 10th %iles for those schools; that's why I have them as maybes