WAMC / School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inusizo

Reaction score
Date of submission: 7/10/20
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.79
DAT score (include AA and all sections):AA:20 TS:20 Bio:19 GC:21 OC:21 Reading:20 PAT:18 QR: 17
State of Residence: GA

Major: Microbiology
Minority?
Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Just graduated. Taking a gap year.

Shadowing Experience:
About 400 hours from general dentists / 20 hours from oral surgeon.
Volunteering Experience: two aboard mission trips and about 150 hour volunteer hours from church.
Employment: Cashier/TA.
Research: About 400 hours in Genetics Lab. No publication.
Other Extracurriculars: Held various leadership positions including president, mission trip leader, bible study leader, and treasurer.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Lists
LOR type and strength: 1 from a general dentist and 3 from hard science courses. Strong letters because I am very close to all of letter writiers.

School list: DCG, UNC, UF, UCONN, Stony Brook, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio, Alabama, Michigan, Pittsburgh, UW

I decided to apply to state schools exclusively this cycle considering expensive cost of attending private schools. What schools should I add or remove? What are some relatively cheap schools? Any insights would be appreciated. However, I am worried about low PAT and QR scores even with 20AA. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 7/10/20
Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.79
DAT score (include AA and all sections):AA:20 TS:20 Bio:19 GC:21 OC:21 Reading:20 PAT:18 QR: 17
State of Residence: GA

Major: Microbiology
Minority?
Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Just graduated. Taking a gap year.

Shadowing Experience:
About 400 hours from general dentists / 20 hours from oral surgeon.
Volunteering Experience: two aboard mission trips and about 150 hour volunteer hours from church.
Employment: Cashier/TA.
Research: About 400 hours in Genetics Lab. No publication.
Other Extracurriculars: Held various leadership positions including president, mission trip leader, bible study leader, and treasurer.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Lists
LOR type and strength: 1 from a general dentist and 3 from hard science courses. Strong letters because I am very close to all of letter writiers.

School list: DCG, UNC, UF, UCONN, Stony Brook, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio, Alabama, Michigan, Pittsburgh, UW

I decided to apply to state schools exclusively this cycle considering expensive cost of attending private schools. What schools should I add or remove? What are some relatively cheap schools? Any insights would be appreciated. However, I am worried about low PAT and QR scores even with 20AA. What are my chances?
Just take into consideration that state schools don't accept as many oos residents and therefore you need to be competitive for their program. General rule for attending dental school is to go wherever it is cheapest and therefore those programs tend to be more competitive. I would still consider applying to a couple private schools as "safety" schools. GPAs are great and PAT/BIO could be a little higher, QR isn't bad considering it isn't weighted as heavily and tends to be the lowest for most applicants. Just do your research and hopefully the rest of your application is in great shape!

Just take into consideration that state schools don't accept as many oos residents and therefore you need to be competitive for their program. General rule for attending dental school is to go wherever it is cheapest and therefore those programs tend to be more competitive. I would still consider applying to a couple private schools as "safety" schools. GPAs are great and PAT/BIO could be a little higher, QR isn't bad considering it isn't weighted as heavily and tends to be the lowest for most applicants. Just do your research and hopefully the rest of your application is in great shape!

Thank you! What private schools do you suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! What private schools do you suggest?
well there are quite a few.. LECOM and Nova southeastern are both in Florida and pretty close to you.. Howard, Marquette, Roseman, Case Western, Meharry to name a few.. AZ and Cali programs are pretty spendy. You'll have to look around and do some research on how much they'll cost and what you're comfortable with.. Some state schools cost just as much as some privates if you are oos

Your chances are a lot lower for acceptance without having some private schools as safety schools. Howard and meharry largely accept URM, so not a good match for your profile. Usc, lecom, nova, MWU-IL, *louisville, une, bu, tufts, udm, penn, *unlv, nyu, case, temple, and roseman would be better choices.

Are you going to put down your Cashier experience in your primary application? I am employed by a law firm in my gap year which is unrelated to dental school, and wondering whether I should put it down.