Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just learned of this confidential q feature, so if I pm'd you, sorry about that...

I'm not sure if I should apply this cycle. I graduated with a 3.43 gpa but have a high MCAT score (521) so I thought it would be ok to apply this cycle. But I just recently learned that because I repeated 2 courses, my AMCAS gpa will be lower than the 3.43. It will come out to be about 3.32 (I used an excel sheet from reddit to calculate this). Is it even worth applying to schools at this point?

Here are my stats.

URM: AA, Female
Undergrad: state school
Major: Biology, BS
MCAT: 521 (128/130/131/132)
cGPA: 3.32 (AMCAS prediction)
sGPA: 3.0 (AMCAS prediction)

(this is a really quick overview and not detailed)
Research: 500+hrs, student assistant at home university research lab; REU program research w/ 1 posters as 1st author.
Leadership: 200+hrs reported Biology club, extracurricular activity (mentor and peer leader)
Paid Employment med: local hospital student intern (shadowed doctors, work with administration, worked with patient with ultrasound techs (with patient permission))
Volunteering not med: 600+hrs total Community Service in local low incomes school in dc
Hobbies: art and candle making
Awards: Biology honors club, multiple leadership awards,
It's tough, because your stats are so incredibly unbalanced. Even with that total GPA I think you could roll the dice, but the sGPA is just a killer.

I would advise you to strongly consider a one year DIY post-bacc to prove that you're the person who crushed the MCAT rather than the person who obtained your GPA. This would open a lot of doors to you and maximize your chances of applying only once. If you choose to apply this year, focus on lower-tier MD schools, HBCs, and DO schools, and I would still advise the post-bacc to set you up for a re-application.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for being honest. Unfortunately, I really don't think I can afford to pay for a DIY postbacc. I will look into options to fund a postbacc.

Do you know of any schools that review applications holistically? I think that my gpa from my junior and senior year could show that I've grown as a student.
Understandable. Unfortunately, applying twice would be even more expensive. And not sure if this is what you meant, but a DIY postbacc is usually much cheaper than a formal postbacc.

Every school reviews applications "holistically." The average GPAs are what they are because all of the applicants are strong and there are only so many seats. But if you have a VERY strong upward trend that would help if you choose to roll the dice. As I said, focus on DO schools, HBCs and lower-tier MD schools

Status
Not open for further replies.