Medical WAMC - Texas, MD/DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle and ideally want to go to med school in Texas. However, I want to keep my options open and also apply to MD and/or DO out of state but am having difficulty building a school list. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. cGPA: 3.63 (significant upward trend, 5 semesters in a row of 3.8+)
2. sGPA: 3.4
3. MCAT: 511 (125/129/127/130)
4. Residency: TX
5. University: State school
6. ORM
7. Research: about 700 hours between my thesis and a couple of other labs. No pubs but I'm presenting an abstract at a conference this spring.
8. Shadowing: 100 hours GI, 40 hours radiology, 30 hours urology
9. Clinical experience: 200 hours interviewing patients, 200 hours hospital volunteering
10. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours helping high school seniors at an underserved high school with their college apps
11. Leadership: 350 hours as a peer mentor for a research lab, 50 hours on a volunteering/fundraising committee for a club, 50 hours as a peer mentor for my honors program
For DO schools, stick with the more established/older schools. Your stats should get you a good number of DO interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

For DO, I recommend any DO program. Include OSUCOM and of course, TCOM.

I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

For MD, chances are best in TX. Your stats are not good for OOS MD.

If you want to an MD school, then the state schools are by far your best shot. I agree with the above that if you apply OOS you should focus on DO schools.

Agree with above. In state MD. Maybe OOS lower tier, private MD if those are there but majority OOS should be DO.

Would suggest trying to get some shadowing experience (doesn't need to be 100 hours) in primary care clinic (with a DO if possible). DO schools definitely have a overarching theme to focus on community medicine, especially in primary care.

Status
Not open for further replies.