MD & DO WAMC This Cycle/Ways to Improve for Next Cycle (2021-2022).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello_There_117

Reaction score
Hello All, I have been very fortunate to interview at four of my top schools this year, yet I can't help but worry a little about a reapplication without an acceptance in my hand. I posted a thread earlier this year and received valuable feedback, so I am asking again for thoughts on this cycle and the next cycle/ what schools I should think of adding.

About me:

State/Country of Residence: TN.

Ties to other States/Regions: Worked in Remote Area Medical (RAM) clinics throughout VA and lived in FL for 10+ years.

Cumulative GPA: 3.9 (probably going to be close to ~ 3.95 by graduation [this May]).

Science GPA: 3.9 (probably going to be close to ~ 3.95 by graduation [this May]).

MCAT Score(s): 513 (127/128/126/132).

Research Experience:

85 hours basic Chem.

230 hours independent research on local hospital system.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.):

Planning on Presenting to a national forum and local forum this spring.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):

Volunteer Clinical:

150 hours of volunteer CNA transport pre-COVID. I would like to continue but can’t due to COVID.

180-200 hours of volunteer Remote Area Medical (RAM) experience as both a CORE and gen support volunteer. About a lot (~200) projected since I will be on Gap Year.

Total: 330-350 hours of volunteer clinical with 530-550 projected.

Paid Clinical.

No paid.

Physician Shadowing:

Lots went crazy a few summers ago and did not plan to continue since I think time would be spent better elsewhere.

Total: Somewhere near 300 hours of experience spread throughout multiple specialties, including Endo, Cardio, Family, Ophthalmology, and Trauma.

Non-Clinical Volunteering:

Equestrian Therapy Volunteer Sidewalker: 145 hours.

Community college Theatre volunteer: 50 hours.

Local Community Mask Making effort volunteer: 100 hours.

Fair Volunteer: 10 hours.

Conference volunteer: 10 hours.

TN Promise Mentor: 10 hours.

Rescue Squad Volunteer: 100 hours. More on the way.

Total: 425 hours. More is projected as I will be in a gap year.

Other Extracurricular Activities/ Team-Sport-ish:

1000 hours speech and debate team varsity debater along with an award for distinguished student.

Other Employment History:

300 hours as freshmen mentor (Providing insight to helping students with adapting to college).

300 hours with another 300 projected this upcoming semester and 300-600 projected for the following year (2021-2022) as a supplemental instruction leader along with an award for my work done.

300 hours as a chemistry tutor.

Total: 900 with 1,200-1,500 projected.

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): IM.

Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y

Medical School List:

Where I applied to this cycle:

MD:

UCF (Upcoming Interview).

EVMS (Interviewed, will be receiving results soon).

Quillen College of Medicine (Interviewed here this cycle, currently on active hold).

Western Virginia. (Interviewed here this cycle -> Rejection/ First Interview and felt it wasn't good, so not too surprised).

University of Tennessee. (Nothing Since Primary Submission).

Wright State Boonshoft. (Nothing Since Primary Submission)

Virginia Commonwealth. (Rejected pre-II).

Toledo. (No news yet, but based on the school thread, no one has heard anything).

Tulane. (Pre-II hold).

Penn State. (Pre-II hold).

Louisville. (Nothing since primary submission).

USF-Morsani (Nothing since primary submission).

Schools I plan to add for Reapp:

MD:

Quinnipiac.

Saint Louis.

Iowa Carver.

Oakland Beaumont.

Wayne State.

Indiana.

Chicago Rosalind Franklin.

Albany.

Florida Atlantic.

Creighton.

Drexel.

Geisinger Commonwealth.

New York Medical College

Nova MD.

Colorado.

Miami Miller.

DO:

AZCOM.

Touro.

DMU.

PCOM.

Questions:

1. Am I just being neurotic, and should I wait until March/April (Waitlist Movement) before worrying about rewriting essays, LOR (Told my Letters are still good), etc.?

2. Was this a poor school list/ Is this new school list a better plan / Do you recommend more schools? I received 4 invites, and it was out of 12 schools, but some of those I hadn't heard from were higher than my stats/ accepted few OOS candidates/ were low-yield.

3. Is there anything else I could be doing to improve my reapplication? ** I did not have the 230 hours of independent research/ planned presentations, supplemental instruction position, or Rescue Squad on my AMCAS primary before I applied for this cycle. ** Which I think would have helped significantly.

4. To follow the previous question, should I be planning on a clinical job like a scribe, CNA, etc.?

5. Should I plan on retaking MCAT?

!! Thank you all so much for any advice given !!

Members don't see this ad.

1) 4 II is a lot for anyone, especially for someone who only applied to 12 schools. Good chance you can still get an A (even off a potential WL) - wouldn't spend too much time re-writing essays until like Easter but it wouldn't hurt to chew on a couple of essay ideas before then.

2) I think in hindsight you should have had more schools and more private schools in particular. Would add essentially all of the new schools you mentioned except Rosie Franklin (you need more service) and Louisville from the original list (heavy IS bias).

3) You have a reasonably good community service list hours-wise but it's a bit scattered - would help more if you chose one organization and concentrated more of your service with them over a longer period of time rather than 10 hrs here and there, 50 hrs or so here, etc.

4) Would recommend working as a scribe seeing as you already have good CNA experience and this adds a different dimension to your clinical profile (plus you spend more time directly with docs).

5) This one is tough. A 513 is a good score on its own, above avg for matriculants BUT you have a 132 in arguably the least important section (PS) and the rest of your sections are relatively more modest. I still think it would be unwise to re-take a 513 and I'll bet most schools agree with me, especially if you didn't do significantly better on the second exam.

You could still hear from UTHSC. They're an extremely slow school.

I would potentially remove USF in a reapp, they are pining for high MCAT (517+) without much regard for strong ECs (Hoffy/WMed/USF all have been doing this).

Members don't see this ad :)
As an update, while I haven't received an acceptance I am high priority on a WL at my dream school and just received an interview invitation to UTHSC, my other in-state school and one that I am excited to interview at. Things are looking up!

Reactions: 1 user
Things were looking up and now they are looking down again... Out of my five interviews, I have waitlists at four of them and a rejection at one of them. I am very happy with my high-priority waitlist at EVMS but am also seeking advice on what I could do to avoid the same outcome next cycle.