WAMC-TX 3.94/514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elkman22

Reaction score
Hello guys I am new here!
(If you know me, no you don't lol)

I am applying this cycle, and tbh I am a little nervous about my application, because I did really bad on my MCAT, but I don't have time to take another one. I am only really looking at schools in Texas, and with the stats creep, I am not sure if I can get an admission to an MD school. I don't have regional ties to South, East or West TX.

I am debating on whether to apply OOS, or whether I should apply this cycle at all. I will have a committee letter, with 5 LORs.
Neither of my parents are doctors, and we are middle class. I am a Biochemistry major.

1. cGPA 3.94/sGPA 3.92; TMDSAS GPA are like cGPA 3.98/BCPM GPA 3.97
2. 514 (127/131/128/128) I am very nervous about my score, and even more weary about my score breakdown.
3. TX; born and raised. I go to my local commuter school on full academic scholarship.
4. Mixed race (Indian Asian & White) So most likely ORM, but I don't know how being mixed factors into the equation.
5. I go to a Tier I research facility but it's still the local commuter school lol
6. I volunteered at a COVID vaccine clinic over the pandemic (50-60 hours) and I was a scribe in an ED at an academic institution for a year (500 hours).
7. By the time I apply, I will have had 400 hours of research experience in a neuroscience lab. I will not have any publications or posters, but I might come my senior year/interview season. I have been acknowledged on my PhD student's poster.
8. I have shadowed a plastic surgeon for 60 hours. The vast majority of my clinical experience is in a pediatric ED as a scribe.
9. I will have had 440 hours of non clinical volunteering by the time I apply, but after this summer it will be 640. I volunteered twice as a counselor for Camp Kesem, which is a camp for kid's whose parents have cancer, serving 300 hours of my volunteering with Kesem. I also volunteered locally with my school's Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter.
10. I have leadership and teaching experience. I have served on the board of Alpha Epsilon Delta for the last 2 years, and I will be president next year. We have a large chapter (300 ppl) at my school. I have also served on the board of Kesem for the last two years as a Volunteer coordinator, and I have been in charge of recruitment and training of our volunteers to prepare them for working with children. (250 ish leadership hours). I also tutor in affiliation with the university, and have CRLA certifications. I tutor chemistry, and I will have had 275 tutoring hours by the time I apply. I am also going to be an UTA for a biology course in the fall (during interview season). I also participate in a clinical study at my local medical school, which has given me insight on how clinical research is conducted.
11. Dean's List F20, S22, F22, S23 (projected)

EDIT: My clinical volunteering and scribing was in large urban areas serving underprivileged populations. So I can work a mission fit with population health.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying this cycle, and tbh I am a little nervous about my application, because I did really bad on my MCAT, but I don't have time to take another one. I am only really looking at schools in Texas, and with the stats creep, I am not sure if I can get an admission to an MD school. I don't have regional ties to South, East or West TX.
You did not do bad on the MCAT. Please have some confidence in what you have accomplished academically. Not only to help how you come across in your essays and interviews, but for your own well-being.

Subtract 50 hours from your pediatric ED scribing and put it down in the shadowing slot so it is clear that you have seen multiple specialties. What did you do in Alpha Epsilon Delta? Depending on the breakdown, it might not be community service to help those less fortunate which is what schools tend to look for in non-clinical volunteering.

I suggest all TMDAS schools (include TCOM and Sam Houston). For AMCAS, apply to Tulane and TCU. OOS schools likely won't think you would attend since you are very competitive from a stats perspective at your IS options.

Reactions: 1 user
In AED I mostly assisted in stocking local food banks with my peers and making meals for local food insecure populations on the weekends. Thank you for your advice!