WAMC ugpa 3.2 usgpa 3.3 SMP-gpa 3.87 MCAT took twice 501-->508. URM+Disadvantage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
WAMC also, what schools should I apply to.

ugpa 3.2 usgpa 3.3 SMP-gpa 3.87 MCAT took twice 501-->508. URM (Hispanic male, but it is post SCOTUS, so maybe this doesnt even matter) + Disadvantaged.

Undergrad @ Stony Brook, but did complete 2yrs at a CC. NYC Resident, 1st gen immigrant arrived in US at age of 9.

I completed an SMP w/ linkage to AMC but got placed in Alternate List (AL-waitlisted) and denied from Albany med.

worked as a researcher at a major NYC institution for 4-5yrs and have 2 publications. This position was clinically heavy, therefore have over 4yrs of clinical experience post ugrad. In ugrad, I did more clinical research and was involved in a 3 summer medical enrichment program hosted by Sinai and Columbia medical schools in NYC.

My list so far includes:

Tulane, AMC, all 4 SUNYs (Downstate, Upstate, Buffalo & Stony, although im thinking that Stony Brook might be too hard to get in), George Washington, Georgetown, Drexel, Howard, Meharry & NYMC. What other schools should I add to the list? What are schools that appreciate SMP graduates. I know that my ugrad gpa is not competitive, but hopefully my SMP gpa shows that I am not that same stupid kid I was before.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Howard and Meharry since they mainly admit applicants from the African American community. How many hours of in person physician shadowing, clinical volunteering with patient contact and non clinical volunteering do you have ?

Reactions: 1 users
I have over 4yrs of clinical experience, this includes shadowing as a part of my regular job. I worked as a researcher at Mount Sinai ER, I would say over 6khrs of clinical experience overall. My only clinical volunteering experiences happened in ugrad, I volunteered at Columbia for two summers (circa 2014-2015). Outside of my regular work, I shadowed a surgeon at Sinai for one summer. I would say that my weakest point would be my lack of volunteerism. It is hard to volunteer when you have an actual 9-5 w/ bills etc. I am 28y/o btw.

Thanks for your suggestion to remove Meharry and Howard. appreciate it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all the other schools on your list and you could add these:
Einstein
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Temple
Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)

Reactions: 1 user
If you are applying this year you need to submit your application in the coming week and all your secondaries by the end of August.

Yes, I have already submitted my primary and im currently doing my secondaries. Due to financial issues, I am adding 3-5 schools per week. I had FAP, but I signed up for it after I had submitted my primaries, therefore the fees are only waived for secondaries not primaries. I am also waiting for my committee letter to be submitted, the person in charge of it is on vacation until the 8th. In the meantime, I am writing out secondaries based on the prompts I found in SDN. So far, I have received my secondaries for Albany, Drexel, George Washington, Downstate and Tulane.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely add some of the schools you mentioned in the list.

I have over 4yrs of clinical experience, this includes shadowing as a part of my regular job. I worked as a researcher at Mount Sinai ER, I would say over 6khrs of clinical experience overall. My only clinical volunteering experiences happened in ugrad, I volunteered at Columbia for two summers (circa 2014-2015). Outside of my regular work, I shadowed a surgeon at Sinai for one summer. I would say that my weakest point would be my lack of volunteerism. It is hard to volunteer when you have an actual 9-5 w/ bills etc. I am 28y/o btw.

Thanks for your suggestion to remove Meharry and Howard. appreciate it.

What made you choose Meharry and Howard? If you identify as Afro-Latino, and can show service to the black community, you can still apply to them.

Im not afro-latino persay, im a mix. I kinda look like Bad Bunny, which makes sense since DR and PR are next to each other. That said, ive been interested in health disparities amongst POC ever since I attended an enrichment program at Columbia’s med school and learned about social determinants of health. I have focused my research career on improving care amongst patient of color, working closely with sicke cell patients at Mount Sinai Hospital. I even wrote my master’s thesis on the increased incidence of vancomycin-induced Acute Kidney Injury amongst black patients within the current AUC dosing guidelines, a paper that my prof and I are currently condensing for peer-review publication. Although I am in no way claiming that I am black, my family and I have faced similar experiences as them. My brother has been stopped and frisked at gunpoint by thr NYPD before DeBlasio banned the practice. I went to a HS in the South Bronx that was majority black/hispanic and was severely underfunded, with every student being a recipient of free/reduced lunches. The NYC school system is actually the most segregated system in the entire country. In short, due to how I grew up, I have a deep connection with the black experience in America, specially when it comes to medicine. I wanted to apply to these schools because they emphasize improving care amongst people of color (which I consider myself to be). Howard is the black Harvard, it has lots of money for research and wonderful staff to mentor their students. Meharry, althought it might not be at the level of Howard with research, still emphasizes the same points (plus, Nashville is my favorite city).

Follow the template if you could

I completed an SMP w/ linkage to AMC but got placed in Alternate List (AL-waitlisted) and denied from Albany med.
So I'm not sure what you did to prepare for your interview. Did you get any feedback through your SMP director?
What are schools that appreciate SMP graduates.
Many schools do appreciate SMP graduates, but the question is which schools accepted students similar to you from your SMP.

So I'm not sure what you did to prepare for your interview. Did you get any feedback through your SMP director?

Many schools do appreciate SMP graduates, but the question is which schools accepted students similar to you from your SMP.
I was told that overall I was a strong applicant. My only negatives were my personal statement, they said although they appreciated stories, I was told it wasn't personal enough and to work on it again..... Unfortunately, I had submitted my primary application before I had gotten my feedback..... soooooo, im unable to change it more than the initial change I did on it for my 2nd round, which were to add another patient story and tie it all back to why I want to do medicine. Another negative i got from my feedback was lack of volunteerism, which is something that AMC really favors. My only volunteer experience comes from my undergrad years, as it becomes very hard to volunteer when youre an adult with a real 9-5 and bills to pay..... I was also told to get another LoR from one of my other grad school profs, overall I have 5 letters, 2 from ugrad prof, 2 from MDs (from Sinai and Yale school of med) and 1 from grad school prof. Other than that, I was told that my application was strong but they had a lot of other strong applicants that year.

Something to note is that I did interview in March, I think that interviewing late might of had affected my chances of admission.

With regards to students from my SMP, this year there were a total of 15 students overall, only 2 of us met the criteria for the linkage, but none of us got in. Others did meet the criteria for NYIT, and I believe they all got in. I didn't apply to NYIT because I am looking for an institution with stronger research opportunities, and I personally know NYIT graduates who have told me that the school does not do a good job at providing their students with research opportunities, unless you proactively approach other institutions, but this can be very hard since institutions tend to be iffy with allowing access to patient data to people outside of it.

Also:

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS --> ugrad cgpa 3.2 ugrad sgpa 3.3; 3.87 grad school SMP gpa
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown --> 1st and 2nd take 501 (127/123/126/125); 508 (124/124/129/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) --> NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race --> Hispanic/Latino
  5. Undergraduate institution or category --> Stony Brook ugrad and Albany for grad
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) --> Over 4yrs of clinical experience
  7. Research experience and productivity --> Over 4yrs of research experience (was involved in clin research, studies had lots of clinical components). 2 publications, 1 as primary author, other as last author. Acknowledged in multiple publications, but not authored.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented --> Shadowed doctors as normal part of my job as a clin researcher.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering --> Weak here, haven't done non-clin volunteering since undergrad (graduated 2018). Did volunteer in sickle cell events, but I think this might count as clinical. Although I am planning to tutor HS students in the meantime to navigate this.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) --> NERA MedPrep scholar, Intramural sports & athletic hobbies.
  11. Relevant honors or awards --> made deans list at Stony first yr. deans list for grad school.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important --> 28y/o non-trad student.

Last edited: