WAMC - UNC, UCLA, Texas schools, Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankey

VCU Dental 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I took my DAT I was looking at much easier schools, but I did better than I thought. I still don't know that Im a strong enough applicant to apply to schools like UNC, UCLA, TX, Penn ect. What do you think, is it worth my time? I'll probably choose in state VCU if I get in anyways.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6, 3.8, 4.0
DAT: AA-24, TS-23, PAT-30, OC-29, RC-25, BIO-23, GC-21, QR-21

Undergrad Attended: Liberty University (I wish my president would keep his pie hole shut lol
Major: Biomedical Science
Minor: Psychology
Minority? Does white male count?
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad?
No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hrs general dentist shadowing, 50 hours ortho
Volunteering Experience: 300 hrs, four missions trips, research mentor, youth director at church,
Employment: 500 hrs Mayo clinic research, 1000 hrs Pool and waterfront director
Research: Dozens of presentations, Organic chem research 1.5 years, Toxicology/cell biology research 1 year (approximately 1000 hrs)
Other Extracurriculars: Rock climbing, swimmer 14 years, guitar piano for 10+ years, custom knife maker and artist (asked for commissioned work) for many years, working on releasing an ep (write an make my own music) ect. theres more than i can fit here lol.
LOR type and strength: General dentist, ochem and research prof, cell bio research prof, prof for two upper level science classes (all very strong, and know well)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Reformat following the above template.

UCLA, UNC, and TX are all super competitive for OOS as I’m sure you know. You’ll have similar stats to other out of state competitive applicants but no one can tell you for sure.

shoot your shot if you got the money and want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Reformat following the above template.

UCLA, UNC, and TX are all super competitive for OOS as I’m sure you know. You’ll have similar stats to other out of state competitive applicants but no one can tell you for sure. For reference, I think UCLA interviewed 18 OOS applicants last year.

shoot your shot if you got the money and want to.
Thanks! Just updated to the less sloppy format haha I guess if i take the time to post better do it right

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Texas resident, so I can only attest to those schools, but it's pretty easy to apply. If you go through TMDSAS, it's a flat fee of $185 for all four. Not a bad investment time-wise, or financially either. Keep in mind though, you're at an extreme disadvantage applying as an out of state student. Each TX school has about 110 seats, and they accept around 5 OOS students each year. Considering everyone wants to go to a Texas dental school, things get competitive pretty fast. But you've got really great stats/extracurriculars, so I'd say go for it. Congrats on the DAT btw!

I'm a Texas resident, so I can only attest to those schools, but it's pretty easy to apply. If you go through TMDSAS, it's a flat fee of $185 for all four. Not a bad investment time-wise, or financially either. Keep in mind though, you're at an extreme disadvantage applying as an out of state student. Each TX school has about 110 seats, and they accept around 5 OOS students each year. Considering everyone wants to go to a Texas dental school, things get competitive pretty fast. But you've got really great stats/extracurriculars, so I'd say go for it. Congrats on the DAT btw!
Thanks so much! I definitely had to adjust my list after taking it, still super surprised at my scores. But I think you're totally right, I probably don't need to spam a ton of apps to easier schools now so might as well shoot high for a few (like the tx schools) :) I have family in TX too so maybe that'll help with secondaries.

Depending on your goals, I would look for OOS friendly schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year

you’ll have a decent shot at Penn given that you’re above their averages stats wise and it’s private , but it’s pretty expensive.

UNC had 870 OOS applicants, and interviewed 95 of them last year. With some OOS accepted students coming from VA.

UCLA has 571 OOS apps, interviewed 60 of them. 10 enrolled. And had VA students.

Depending on your goals, I would look for OOS friendly schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year

you’ll have a decent shot at Penn given that you’re above their averages stats wise and it’s private , but it’s pretty expensive.

UNC had 870 OOS applicants, and interviewed 95 of them last year. With some OOS accepted students coming from VA.

UCLA has 571 OOS apps, interviewed 60 of them. 10 enrolled. And had VA students.

How do you see how many interviews? I'm on the ADEA dental school explorer site and it doesn't show that info

What do you think, is it worth my time? I'll probably choose in state VCU if I get in anyways.
I would not say it would be worth your time or your money to apply to schools that are not OOS friendly. Focus on schools that are OOS friendly and especially those that grant in-state tuition after the first year. As a side note, VCU is amazing. I got accepted as an OOS but they are very strict about granting in-state tuition to students as most students do not want to live/stay in Virigina once they are done studying. Best of luck to you and give your max effort to possibly attend VCU, it was a beautiful program. Cheers.

How do you see how many interviews? I'm on the ADEA dental school explorer site and it doesn't show that info
Go to a specific school page. It’s under “2019 applicant and entering class data”

I highly doubt I would get it, but i know penn offers the deans scholarship which you hear about upon acceptance (which is the only reason i would consider it). Thanks for the stats! I think your super right though, at this point keeping the price down is one of the biggest things.

I would not say it would be worth your time or your money to apply to schools that are not OOS friendly. Focus on schools that are OOS friendly and especially those that grant in-state tuition after the first year. As a side note, VCU is amazing. I got accepted as an OOS but they are very strict about granting in-state tuition to students as most students do not want to live/stay in Virigina once they are done studying. Best of luck to you and give your max effort to possibly attend VCU, it was a beautiful program. Cheers.
Thanks for the advise, I think your totally right. Im thinking maryland, ohio, rutgers, uconn, buffalo maybe ones to consider then? But yes! I have friends at vcu, family in richmond and have heard great things about the school (and its cheap for me!). Almost 100% ill go there if accepted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.