WAMC: URM Texas Applicant and seeking advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxMed55

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After initially planning to avoid a gap year, I ultimately decided to take two gap years to improve my application. During this time, I retook a few classes to raise my science GPA, which has increased slightly. I’m now preparing to apply in the next cycle and will be studying for the MCAT with the goal of taking it in January. While I know a significant part of my chances hinges on my MCAT score (goal score is 515), I’m seeking advice on how to strengthen my application through extracurriculars during my gap year and how competitive my current experiences and GPA are for top 25 MD programs and MD programs in general. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Academic Background:​

• Major: Bachelor degrees in business with pre-health certificate
  • URM
  • SES Disadvantage
  • Texas Resident
  • GPA:
    • Overall GPA: 3.75
    • Science GPA: 3.68
    • Honors: Consistently on the Dean’s List and University Honors (4x).

Clinical Experience:​

• Patient Transporter (780 hours): Worked in a hospital setting transporting patients across different units, ensuring their safety and comfort. I regularly handled patients requiring special care, including those on oxygen or with mobility issues.
  • Shadowing (~150 hours): Shadowed pediatric neurologists and surgeons across multiple settings. Observed a wide variety of procedures, including complex surgeries

Research Experience:​

• Biology Lab Research Assistant (~505 hours): Worked with salamander DNA, conducting PCR and gel electrophoresis to classify endangered species. This lab gave me strong foundational lab skills and an appreciation for scientific discovery.
  • Development Research Assistant (~510 hours): Investigated the educational and emotional development of students serving as translators for their non-English-speaking families. I conducted interviews, analyzed data, and helped develop new educational strategies.

Volunteer Work:​

• Covid-19 Contact Tracer (~115 hours): Played an active role in reducing community transmission by informing exposed individuals and guiding them on quarantine procedures. This experience highlighted the critical need for public health communication.
  • Food Bank Volunteer (~350 hours): Volunteered at local food banks, helping to package and distribute food to underserved families.
  • Tele-play Volunteer at Children’s Hospital (~140 hours): Engaged in virtual play sessions with pediatric patients to brighten their day and provide companionship during their hospital stay.
  • A Mentorship Program (~300 hours): Mentored high school students, guiding them through college applications, essays, and career exploration.

Extracurriculars & Leadership:​

• Member of a National Pre-Medical Association (~175 hours): Joined a national Latino medical student organization, where I was paired with medical student mentors and received guidance on navigating the medical school journey.
  • Business Fraternity (4 years of undergrad): I took on leadership roles in recruitment, helping new members improve their resumes, essays, and interview skills.

Professional Development:​

• Strategy Consulting & Data Analytics Job Simulation: Completed consulting and data analytics simulations to enhance my problem-solving and analytical skills, areas that I plan to apply in medical research or healthcare management in the future.
  • Business Consulting (~6 months): Provided strategic consultation to a local business, helping them optimize their brewery expansion and increase production capacity by 20%.
  • Tech Consultant (~6 months): Led an overhaul of a college department’s inventory management system, analyzing stakeholder needs and recommending cost-effective solutions. This led to a 25% improvement in system efficiency.
  • Web Developer (5 months): I led a project to develop a website for a local business, where I honed my project management, coding, and teamwork skills.

Other Notable Experiences:​

• Tennis (1000+ hours): Tennis has been a major stress-reliever and outlet for me, helping me maintain balance in my life. It also taught me the importance of perseverance, focus, and discipline—traits I believe are crucial in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a strong understanding of the TMDSAS process. Use your connections with SNMA/LMSA to line up help with your application materials and keeping yourself on time with your application. You can always use more clinical and non-clinical experience, but you need to know your mission as a physician and how it aligns with what the schools can provide for you.

Reactions: 1 user