Texas WAMC (3.5 /520)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crabba

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello just wondering WAMC if I apply to only and all Texas MD and DO schools.

cGPA of 3.5 with a sGPA of 3.4, last 24 credit hours (some upper level bio classes) were all A's. I had 3 semesters of bad grades due to being a caretaker for a family member and then just being lazy. MCAT of 520 hoping to carry me.

Texas ORM

  • 720 hours as a MA over about 8 months
  • 1000 hours of research with one poster
  • 60 hours shadowing (Nephrology and Pediatric Cardiology)
  • 440 hours refugee volunteering (will be most important activity)
  • Co-president of Anthropology club
  • Volunteering Intern at premed club (had meaningful experience that made impact)
  • Mentor to a refugee youth (helped them apply to college)
  • Volunteering at church as religious teacher
  • Minor role as Game development and testing (was previously a CompSci major)
PS and story centered around community health and underserved community work

Thoughts? WAMC? What I can Improve?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have not. Would you be able to give me a estimate on my chances of a texas MD or DO acceptance based on my stats? Thank you
 
have not. Would you be able to give me a estimate on my chances of a texas MD or DO acceptance based on my stats? Thank you
As I said, geographical mission fit is very important. Metrics-wise, I see no problems.

I think you either need or have buried any primary care exposure in your description. You also need service to communities that are not immigrant/refugee populations which you represent; most of the patients you are going to meet are not. Otherwise, I think your profile should get attention... just not from Tyler, RGV, or any program that explicitly prepares rural health professionals. That said, Texas is a big state, and graduates from each program should be distributed around the state, including in the Houston medical complex.

Basically, IMO, expand what you mean by "community health" as your activities are very focused on your home community (immigrant, refugee). You need to show us you can work with the "typical" Texan and that those patients would be comfortable with you as their physician. That's where your writing and reflections matter and might determine how successful you will be.

Look for schools that have accepted students most similar to you and your journey.