WAMC WSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenarcade

WSU c/o 2026
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.64
science GPA: 3.57 (assuming I'm calculating right)
last 45:

Any degrees achieved: B.S. in Biology with a focus on Physiology

GRE results: Q: 162 / V: 165 / W: 5

Veterinary Experience:
-almost 1000 hrs working as an assistant at a SA clinic. I work 40+ hrs a week so by the time I apply I should have a lot more
-50 hrs volunteering at a spay/neuter clinic for feral cats
-shadowed for a day at another SA clinic
-shadowed part of the day at an emergency clinic

Animal Experience:
-400 hrs volunteering mostly with cats at animal shelter
-70 hrs volunteering at other animal shelter with rabbits and rodents
-Pet sitting experience- no idea how to quantify
-Pet owner experience with both cats and rats- no idea how to quantify hours for this either

Awards/scholarships:
-AP Scholar aware in high school
-Deans List in college for 8 quarters

Extracurriculars:
-Member of my schools Pre Vet club
-Freshman year wrote for my college radio station
-member of my high school Environmental Club
-played guitar and piano for many years

Employment:
-
2018-2019 food service/preparation in my college dining hall
-
2020-present assistant at vet clinic

I want to go to WSU (my IS school) but I'm sort of considering applying to other schools as well just to boost my odds. My biggest concerns are my grades- freshman and sophomore year my grades were pretty average, junior and senior year I got all A's, but I still feel like my grades could be better. I was a full time student but I wasn't taking huge credit loads so I worry that might count against me. My GRE scores are pretty good I think, but I know WSU isn't taking the GRE anymore so that won't help me.

I'm kind of concerned I won't have enough varied experience. I'm not interested in practicing LA medicine, so I haven't actively been seeking that kind of experience out, but even if all my experience is SA, will it count against me if it's mostly from the same clinic? I've been seeking out other animal/vet experience but COVID is making that pretty difficult. I'm also worried that my extracurriculars aren't very strong. Most of my hobbies are solo stuff, not really organized enough to count as an extracurricular, and due to COVID it's hard to get involved in anything organized in my community right now.

If anyone has any thoughts on my app so far or things I should be looking to improve, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Didnt apply IS but your grades seem about average. The fact you have an upward trend is good and your last 45 is excellent.
For quantifying pet ownership I wouldnt do more than 10 min/day unless pets required extensive attention.
I know covid makes things super hard but diversify if you can-yes even into LA if you can. You cant say 100% for sure you're not interested in LA unless you've spent a day shadowing unless you're allergic or afraid of species that compose the LA group. I get being pretty set and not in interested in LA like at all but I've seen too many people change that I would encourage you to not write it off just yet. With covid I do also think schools are more understanding of limited opportunities imo because us as students they arent even allowing into the vth unless you work or are a 4th year student.
One thing about WSU is they want to know everything! Donate to the women's shelter? Include it! Hike regularly in the summer? Include it! Doesnt really matter how big or small. So definitely include your hobbies.
Overall I think you have a good shot at wsu. I encourage you to write stellar essays and get amazing lots because that can be just as impactful.
If you decide to apply OOS really define your search to schools that fit your profile and consider cost!

I applied and was accepted as OOS but am always around if you have more WSU questions!

Didnt apply IS but your grades seem about average. The fact you have an upward trend is good and your last 45 is excellent.
For quantifying pet ownership I wouldnt do more than 10 min/day unless pets required extensive attention.
I know covid makes things super hard but diversify if you can-yes even into LA if you can. You cant say 100% for sure you're not interested in LA unless you've spent a day shadowing unless you're allergic or afraid of species that compose the LA group. I get being pretty set and not in interested in LA like at all but I've seen too many people change that I would encourage you to not write it off just yet. With covid I do also think schools are more understanding of limited opportunities imo because us as students they arent even allowing into the vth unless you work or are a 4th year student.
One thing about WSU is they want to know everything! Donate to the women's shelter? Include it! Hike regularly in the summer? Include it! Doesnt really matter how big or small. So definitely include your hobbies.
Overall I think you have a good shot at wsu. I encourage you to write stellar essays and get amazing lots because that can be just as impactful.
If you decide to apply OOS really define your search to schools that fit your profile and consider cost!

I applied and was accepted as OOS but am always around if you have more WSU questions!
Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what kind of things you included for extracurriculars? I've heard as well that WSU likes to see non-animal volunteer work/community involvement, which is another area I feel like I could improve in.

Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what kind of things you included for extracurriculars? I've heard as well that WSU likes to see non-animal volunteer work/community involvement, which is another area I feel like I could improve in.
Of course! I had lots of extracurriculars organized and not. Organized-4h, clubs on campus, sports (organized via an organization), various volunteer orgs
Non oranized- hiking, kayaking, swimming&running(just individual exercise) locks of love, volunteer things I did on my own like helping at the elementary school, growing a garden and donating the food to the food pantry
Those arent all the things but the bulk of them.
When they say they want to see everything they really mean it because it helps then get a better idea of who you are as a whole person and that you do have a life out of vet med stuff