WAMC? Yet to Take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjkaplan63

Reaction score
Hi, I am a rising senior with hopes of going to med school (obviously). I will be taking a gap year in order to gain more clinical experience and retake the MCAT if necessary. With that being said, I have yet to take the MCAT and would like to gauge the competitiveness of my application based on all factors other than my MCAT score and would also like to see what score I may need in order to be a well-rounded applicant. Thank you so much in advance!

GPA:
  • 3.93 cGPA and 3.89sGPA
Undergraduate Institution:
  • University of South Florida, Tampa.
  • Major in biomedical sciences with a minor in both Deaf Studies and Religion and Healthcare
MCAT:
  • Yet to take. However, I recently started studying and have gotten around a 500 on both diagnostic practice tests.
Personal Info:
  • 22-year-old white male from Orlando, Florida. Traditional applicant.
Clinical Experience/Patient interaction:
  • Covid-19 Testing assistant. Traveled nationally and tested private organizations such as the U.S. Men's Soccer Team (500 hours)
  • Volunteer at a cancer center (80 hours)
Research:
  • Wet lab research dealing with DNA replication stress response (350 hours)
  • Systematic Review on Cardiac Surgery and Telehealth. Presented work at the USF research fair
Leadership:
  • Co-founder of USF's first research journal
  • Executive board member of USF Research Society: research coordinator
    • Published with groups that I lead following a successful publication. The number is TBD.
  • Editor of USF research Journal
Shadowing:
  • 100 hours of diverse shadowing
Other:
  • Volunteering at a food pantry (400 hours)
  • General Chemistry Teaching Assistant
  • Private Tudor
  • USF PAMSA Member
  • Deans List
  • Summa Cum Laude
Letters of Recommendation:
  • 2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, 1 research-related, 1 physician

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one here is going to say any sort of chance/list without an MCAT. If you score a 500 you would be DOA for MD schools and may be okay for DO schools. If you score a 528 you may be able to reach for T20s, depending on how well you write.

I also wouldn't advise doxing yourself with your full first and last name on the post. Probably better just to delete this in its entirety and try again with an MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
You need more clinical volunteering and should accumulate another 200+ hours with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user