WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

messimagic

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, wondering what my chances are here for getting into either a DO or MD school. Im a virginia native, my undergrad gpa was a 3.2 with a science gpa probably slightly lower than a 3.2. I recently finished a post bacc program that I was thought I was ready for but was not as I did my undergrad at a very small private school and the post bacc was at a large state school so my study skills were not where they should have been and I finished with a gpa of the one year 19 credit program with a gpa of a 2.95. I am currently going to do a MS program in Bio that is going to be about 13-18 credits depending on the electives I pick. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have lots of clinical experience working at a hospital, interned at a free clinic for low income people, have about 50 hours of research which would increase doing the masters program, about 10-20 shadowing hours and lots of other volunteering activities, as well as lots of leadership positions in undergrad.
 
Is the MS a research MS? These are not taken seriously by MS schools as GPA salvage, but DO schools will.

Frankly, I think it's time for Plan B. You should have aced that post-bac.
I dont think its a research MS, I wont be doing a thesis or anything like that, I have to do a research project which itself is a 1 credit course but everything else will be grad level science courses. I know I should have aced it, its something to now I still regret not excelling in.