WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreciousMoments2024

UGA CVM c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So this is my second round of applications, and I was wondering if I could get some advice or pointers on what you guys think.

Applying To:
UGA (IS), Auburn, Mizzou, Ohio State, and Cornell

Undergraduate- University of Findlay
Cumulative GPA:
science GPA: 3.27
last 45: 3.58

Graduate- Mercer University
Cumulative:

Currently in second year of earning my MPH, on track for graduating in May of 2020
B.S. in Animal Science with a Pre-Veterinary Medicine Emphasis (May 2018)
A.A. in English Equestrian Studies (May 2018)

GRE results:
151/152/4.0 (Taken in June 2017)

Veterinary Experience:
- May 2019-July 2019: Intern at Georgia Department of Agriculture's Meat Inspection Services, shadowed some public health veterinarians (24 hours)
- February 2019-Present: Veterinary Assistant with equine veterinarian (560 hours)
- January 2019-Present: Veterinary Assistant with small animal emergency clinic (825 hours)
- August 2018-December 2019: Veterinary Assistant at a VCA general practice (800 hours)
- May 2017-July 2018: Veterinary Assistant at VCA general practice in Ohio (320 hours)
- May 2017-December 2017: Shadowing at another VCA in Ohio (87 hours)
- January 2016-April 2016: Taking hands-on classes with food animal and equine veterinarians (128 hours)*

Animal Experience:
- July 2016-July 2018: Kennel Assistant/Shift Leader at a VCA in Ohio (2400 hours)
- May 2016-August 2016: Pet Pal at Hancock County Humane Society (60 hours)
- August 2015-May 2017: Classes and barn duty at the Animal Science Farm with my school (worked with dairy and beef cattle, swine, sheep, goats, alpacas, and llamas and includes a swine production and management class) (162 hours)*
- May 2015-August 2015: Summer camp horse-back riding instructor/barn help (440 hours)
- August 2014-May 2016: Classes out at the English Equestrian Farm for school (1600 hours)*
- February 2009-May 2014: Volunteer, wrangler, and horse-back riding instructor at a Girl Scout Camp for summers and some weekends (1750 hours)

Employment
- May 2019-July 2019: Intern at the Georgia Department of Agriculture's Meat Inspection Services (>240 hours, not finished yet)
- November 2015-April 2017: Line Cook at Red Lobster in Ohio (1800 hours)
- August 2015-December 2015: Freshman mentor for the students in the english equestrian program (280 hours)

* I am worried about listing these as they are school credits. I know there's a section that asks if they earned acadmeic credit, but does anyone think listing these would be frowned upon?

Awards/scholarships:
- Endowed Scholarship (March 2016): $400 given to one equestrian studies or pre-vet student entering their junior or senior year with a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- UF Trustee's Scholarship (August 2014-May 2018): $16,000 per year based on academic performance.

Recommendations:
- Undergraduate adviser who I also took a class with
- Graduate professor I've taken two classes with
- Possible: Small animal surgeon/Co-owner of emergency clinic I work at (from Nigeria) (I still need to ask him about it this weekend)
- Equine vet I currently work for (Auburn grad)
- VCA vet I worked for (UGA grad)
- VCA vet I worked for in Ohio (OSU grad)

I applied for the first time in the 2017-2018 cycle. Since then I have greatly expanded my veterinary hours and varied my experience. My goal as of now is to become a large animal veterinarian who either works with multiple species or focuses on swine. I also am earning my Master's of Public Health to help strengthen my application and increase employment opportunities after graduation. I am still deciding if I will retake the GRE, as I know higher scores can help to balance my lower undergraduate GPA. I'm just worried overall that I won't be a strong enough applicant, even after fixing some of the issues I had in my first cycle. Any tips/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You want to work with swine and you're not applying to ISU? I think that's a lil crazy. Home to SMEC: Home | Swine Medicine Education Center - SMEC and Iowa has more pigs than people: Iowa pig population reaches record 23.6 million
And with an MPH, I would think you might be interested in this as well: The Center for Food Security and Public Health

ISU loves large animal students who are sure about where they want to go. The only drawback I see is that your large animal experience seems to be mainly with equine.

@genny To be perfectly honest, I hadn't really looked into ISU at all, which does feel silly since I did learn about Iowa being one of the top swine producers in the country while earning my undergraduate degree. I will absolutely check it out! I have been worried that most of my large animal is in equine and that all of my food animal, besides public health/meat inspection, is from academic credits. I will try to look for more opportunities to expand this part of my resume. Thank you!