WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beagle8strawberries

UMN c/o 2026!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying this cycle and I was wondering what my chances were. I will be applying to TAMU (in-state), Texas Tech, UPenn, LMU, UGA, Tufts, and maybe Illinois, WSU, and CSU. I am super nervous about how I am extremely average in all of my stats. I will be retaking the GRE and I will be doing wildlife rehabilitation during the summer with a veterinarian.

Cumulative GPA: 3.67 (potentially 3.68 after one class)
Science GPA: 3.52(?) (potentially 3.54(?) after one class)
Last 45 Hour GPA: 3.64 (potentially 3.66)

Veterinary Hours: (860 hours)
- Small animal hospital: 250 hours
- Emergency clinic: 100 hours
- Equine hospital: 210 hours
- Wildlife Rehab w/ Vet: ~300 hours (for this upcoming summer)

Animal Hours: (555 hours)
- Small Animal Shelter: 50 hours
- Wildlife: 300 hours (for this upcoming summer)
- Horseback Riding (5 hours due to the pandemic this semester)
- Pet Setting: 200 hours

Research: TBD (I will be doing research with the wildlife rehab this summer)

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-Vet Club Officer: 1 year
- Pre-Vet Club member: 2 years
- Equestrian Team: 1 semester
- HS Chamber Orchestra: 4 years
- HS Earth club: 4 years
- Ballet Club (will start this in the fall; I don't know if this counts)
- Lions Club (will start this in the fall; I don't know if this counts)

Letters of Recommendation:
- Equine veterinarian who I got really close to within the past year.
- Biochemistry professor who I am also close to.
- Hopefully the wildlife veterinarian I will work with this summer!
- Ochem II professor (maybe)

Honors:
- President's List (1 semester)
- Dean's List (2 semesters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
maybe Illinois, WSU, and CSU

Illinois new 4th year, CO resident. I'd say you're pretty solid for Illinois, pending your GRE scores and how your essays go. Your GPAs are right at our averages, which is a good spot.

I will say if you have to pick between these three, apply to Illinois simply due to numbers. CSU has approximately 14 or 15 people apply per spot whereas Illinois has 9 people apply per spot. Just from that perspective alone, CSU is more competitive OOS than Illinois. From what I understand, Washington is also fairly competitive, but I just dont know the numbers.

Illinois is also cheaper OOS in no small part due to FoCo's higher cost of living. CSU's tuition is definitely higher by nearly 6k. Over 4 years, you'll save at least 30k between the two.

(will start this in the fall; I don't know if this counts)

Put anything and everything. The schools will determine if something counts. If something doesn't, then the school will simply ignore it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Former CO resident and student at WSU accepted to both programs. As bat's said CSU is extremely competitive OOS plus high cost (not as high as like Penn, Tufts and LMU though). Personally out of (WSU/CSU/IL) I would nix CSU. WSU offers the option of IS tuition after 1 year (if accepted to Pullman) and is competitive, but IL is not terrible tuition wise compared to the other schools you have listed and much better than CSU.

I can't help but notice you have a lot of schools that are on the more expensive side tuition wise. I suggest if you haven't to take a look at this VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map
It's the VIN tuition map because I would consider putting IA, Purdue, or Missouri(allows tuition switch-read footnote on VIN not actually 46th most expensive) on your list of schools and take off UPenn, Tufts& LMU. But of course also make sure you meet their prereqs.

WSU breaks you down into tiers. Found here https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria that will give you an idea of at least getting an interview. WSU OOS is also extremely competitive OOS ~1-5% chance from submission to acceptance, on the higher end if you're willing to be considered for the Logan pool also vs ~1% for Pullman spots. While daunting, if you can get accepted then it's your best bet money wise. WSU wants to know all of you so like do you donate clothes, help with the food drives, enjoy kayaking? Literally list it all.

Suggestions for improvement if you can try and add in some food production med. Add your personal endeavors. Volunteering- I don't know if you just didn't list it or you don't have any I would recommend getting anything you can even with current challenges. I think you have a decent chance overall as long as your LORs and essays kill it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Illinois new 4th year, CO resident. I'd say you're pretty solid for Illinois, pending your GRE scores and how your essays go. Your GPAs are right at our averages, which is a good spot.

I will say if you have to pick between these three, apply to Illinois simply due to numbers. CSU has approximately 14 or 15 people apply per spot whereas Illinois has 9 people apply per spot. Just from that perspective alone, CSU is more competitive OOS than Illinois. From what I understand, Washington is also fairly competitive, but I just dont know the numbers.

Illinois is also cheaper OOS in no small part due to FoCo's higher cost of living. CSU's tuition is definitely higher by nearly 6k. Over 4 years, you'll save at least 30k between the two.

Put anything and everything. The schools will determine if something counts. If something doesn't, then the school will simply ignore it.
Thank you for the reply! :) I will most likely apply to U of I!

Hello,
Former CO resident and student at WSU accepted to both programs. As bat's said CSU is extremely competitive OOS plus high cost (not as high as like Penn, Tufts and LMU though). Personally out of (WSU/CSU/IL) I would nix CSU. WSU offers the option of IS tuition after 1 year (if accepted to Pullman) and is competitive, but IL is not terrible tuition wise compared to the other schools you have listed and much better than CSU.

I can't help but notice you have a lot of schools that are on the more expensive side tuition wise. I suggest if you haven't to take a look at this VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map
It's the VIN tuition map because I would consider putting IA, Purdue, or Missouri(allows tuition switch-read footnote on VIN not actually 46th most expensive) on your list of schools and take off UPenn, Tufts& LMU. But of course also make sure you meet their prereqs.

WSU breaks you down into tiers. Found here https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria that will give you an idea of at least getting an interview. WSU OOS is also extremely competitive OOS ~1-5% chance from submission to acceptance, on the higher end if you're willing to be considered for the Logan pool also vs ~1% for Pullman spots. While daunting, if you can get accepted then it's your best bet money wise. WSU wants to know all of you so like do you donate clothes, help with the food drives, enjoy kayaking? Literally list it all.

Suggestions for improvement if you can try and add in some food production med. Add your personal endeavors. Volunteering- I don't know if you just didn't list it or you don't have any I would recommend getting anything you can even with current challenges. I think you have a decent chance overall as long as your LORs and essays kill it!
Yeah, but I guess I have always wanted to apply to UPenn and Tufts to see if I would actually get in or not! One of my family members will live in Washington so I will probably apply to WSU and Illinois. Thank you for the suggestions :) I was just nervous since I felt like my stats were just average at best.

Hello! I am applying this cycle and I was wondering what my chances were. I will be applying to TAMU (in-state), Texas Tech, UPenn, LMU, UGA, Tufts, and maybe Illinois, WSU, and CSU. I am super nervous about how I am extremely average in all of my stats. I will be retaking the GRE and I will be doing wildlife rehabilitation during the summer with a veterinarian.

Hi! I know that a couple of the schools you are applying to are not accepting the GRE this year (Illinois, Tufts and CSU) if that helps you at all!

Hi! I know that a couple of the schools you are applying to are not accepting the GRE this year (Illinois, Tufts and CSU) if that helps you at all!
Yeah! I saw that on their COVID-19 Student and Applicant Info page. Thank you so much! (Also, sorry for such a late response!!)