• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

MD wamc

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Gold Member
  • Oct 14, 2011
    1. Academic Administration
      Non-clinical volunteering: is Planned Parenthood your only community service experience? You are splitting some hours doing clinical work with PP as well, so I'm looking to see if there more than just one major community service activity in your bucket? Describe your international service trip a bit more.

About the Ads

pinklemonade99

2+ Year Member
      May 27, 2019
      1. Pre-Medical
        Non-clinical volunteering: is Planned Parenthood your only community service experience? You are splitting some hours doing clinical work with PP as well, so I'm looking to see if there more than just one major community service activity in your bucket? Describe your international service trip a bit more.
        The service trip is through a non-profit organization that the university partners with. Students go to impoverished communities in various countries and build public infrastructure projects, educate community members on public health, and open a free medical clinic. The time before the trip itself is spent preparing and fundraising. This is where the majority of my hours come from.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Silver Member
        Gold Member
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          **** PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE ****

Resident: CA
          Ethnicity: Asian
          Major: Biology
          Minor: Comp Bio

MCAT: 520 (129/130/131/130)
          GPA: 3.83 cGPA w/ upward trend, 3.79 sGPA

Research: 450 hours; developed a program to help with computer aided drug design at a comp bio lab. Manuscript currently being edited to be submitted for publication (plan on having it submitted by the time I complete my application).

Non-clinical: 600 hours; involved in a volunteer group that takes a service trip abroad every year since freshman year of college (2 leadership positions) and did non-clinical volunteer work at Planned Parenthood

Clinical: 100 hours; volunteered at a hospital and at Planned Parenthood (hours were projected to be closer to 150-180 hours without COVID-19)

Shadowing: 120 hours in radiology and internal medicine

Employment: 400 hours; on campus, administrative work study job

Other paid experience: 300 hours; worked at a pizza place freshman summer

Rec Letters: 4 letters from my PI, bio lab professor, humanities professor, and on campus employer (expected to be strong and supportive)

School List:
          1. NYU
          2. Columbia
          3. UCLA
          4. UCSF
          5. Cornell
          6. Duke
          7. U Pitt
          8. U Mich
          9. Yale
          10. U Chicago
          11. Northwestern
          12. Vanderbilt
          13. Mount Sinai
          14. UCSD
          15. Baylor
          16. Case Western
          17. Emory
          18. Boston U
          19. UVA
          20. USC
          21. U of Rochester
          22. Brown
          23. UCD
          24. Georgetown
          25. UCI
          26. Dartmouth
          27. Tufts
          28. UCR
          29. Kaiser
          30. California Northstate

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions about my school list! I am currently planning on applying only to MD schools, as I think MD fits slightly better with my goals/aspirations for medicine in the future. This is my first post on SDN, but it seems that @Goro, @Faha, @WedgeDawg, and @Mr.Smile12 have helped a lot of prospective students with their school lists, so I would greatly appreciate your feedback as well.
          Delete CNU, Brown, Gtown
          Scratch UCR IF you're not from the Inland Empire
          ADD: U VM, U Cinci, OH State, Cal U Med, Einstein
          Consider WashU, Duke, U CO,

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.