This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reebok

Reaction score
Hello!

Date of submission: June 12th 2023
Overall GPA: ~3.4 (3.03 overall at undergrad, 3.9 at community college (only prerequisites + AP + biochem),
Science GPA: 3.89
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.95
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 20 PAT, 17 TS, 20 BIO, 16 GC, 16 OC, 21 RC, 20 QR
State of Residence: Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

Overall GPA: ~3.4 (3.03 overall at undergrad, 3.9 at community college (only prerequisites + AP + biochem),
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 20 PAT, 20 BIO, 16 GC, 16 OC, 21 RC, 20 QR

Undergrad Attended:
Sewanee: University of the South (2013-2014), Virginia Commonwealth University (2015-2017), Northern Virginia Community College (2020-2022)
Major: Political Science, B.A. (VCU)
Minor:
Minority?
No, but asian-american
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: (100 hours, GP), (25 hours w/ OMFS), (25 hours with another GP).
Volunteering Experience: 100 hours w/ Catholic Charities Organization, 100 hours packaging and serving food for food banks with church, 100 hours helping mentally and physically disabled children under age 17 at their non-profit hospice care.
Employment: 40 hour weeks, (2100 total hours) with GP (magna cum laude at VCU in 2003) - Only practice who would take me in as a shadow in 2022. Shadowed for a month and have been working there since 2022. Extremely efficient and expert in EMR, dental EMR, and all procedures in the back (implants, ext, rct's, crowns, dentures, occl guards, etc, have done and seen everything)
Research:
N/a
Other Extracurriculars: NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse and still play for a men's league today, can shred on the acoustic guitar, golf, powerlift, running---training and applying to become a volunteer firefighter (something i always wished i did in college but couldn't)
Relevant Honors or Awards: GPA of 3.5+ (Dean's list in 2020, 2021, 3.75+ President's List (2021).
LOR type and strength: General Practitioner (very strong) Bio chem prof (grade: A) (strong), Orgo 2 Prof (grade: A) (moderately strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

Here is where I believe I don't have a good chance of acceptance and I hope i don't rattle on too much but I am basically a non-traditional career changer. I was initially a pre-med my freshman year, then switched to philosophy (pre-law), then switched to political science. I wanted to become a lawyer and earn an MBA as well but life took me elsewhere. The first job out of college was interning at a U.S. Congressman's office and hosting at an italian chain restaurant. I then worked in politics for over 2 years and floated around jobs (accounting dept for an HVAC company, retail clothing). In the meantime, I have worked part and full time for an internal medicine practice since I was 18. Finally, I work full time as an insurance manager for a dental practice. I am just as comfortable floating from the front walking people out and collecting payments as I am jumping into a very impacted wisdom tooth extraction.

I ask that anyone and everyone rips this application apart and tells me everything I need to do in my power to make my application stronger. I would love to type out everything about my story and how I've told it so far on my application but I am more than happy to explain any holes in my application as well as red flags. Please constructively criticize every and any area you deem to be uncompetitive or simply not important for my application. I am currently writing this during lunch before I go and assist again. Thank you so much!

School list:
I really need help tailoring which schools I should be applying to and currently, these are my top two targets. Obviously they are VERY well out of my range unless I pull an amazing DAT retake on July 15th or have a very comprehensive application that details every weak point of my career so far.

VCU

Midwestern AZ (brother graduated med school in 2023)

literally any school that will give me a chance for an interview

I just found out about this website and I am so grateful for everything I've read so far. Really looking forward to someone helping me out and just giving me a harsh reality of what I have to do.

I plan to apply in the next seven days.
what is EMR?

what is your TS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a retake of your DAT would prove to be most beneficial for your application. A 17TS really hurts you too. Aiming for 20s all around would benefit you. You might get stuck with an extremely expensive private school staring down the barrel of 500-600k of debt after graduation.

So smash the retake! I would look at schools that surround where your permanent residence is.

VCU, West Virginia, temple, case western, Tennessee, Louisville, Kentucky at all schools you could be looking at. Depending on your DAT retake will determine more.

electronic medical record (EMR software)

TS is super low at 17.
ok cool

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Hello!

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 20 PAT, 17 TS, 20 BIO, 16 GC, 16 OC, 21 RC, 20 QR

Undergrad Attended:
Liberal Arts School in Tennessee (2013-2014), Virginia Commonwealth University (2015-2017), Northern Virginia Community College (2020-2022)
Major: Political Science, B.A. (VCU)
Minor:
Minority?
No, but asian-american
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: (100 hours, GP), (25 hours w/ OMFS), (25 hours with another GP).
Volunteering Experience: 100 hours w/ Catholic Charities Organization, 100 hours packaging and serving food for food banks with church, 100 hours helping mentally and physically disabled children under age 17 at their non-profit hospice care.
Employment: 40 hour weeks, (2100 total hours) with GP (magna cum laude at VCU in 2003) - Only practice who would take me in as a shadow in 2022. Shadowed for a month and have been working there since 2022. Extremely efficient and expert in EMR, dental EMR, and all procedures in the back (implants, ext, rct's, crowns, dentures, occl guards, etc, have done and seen everything)
Research:
N/a
Other Extracurriculars: NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse and still play for a men's league today, can shred on the acoustic guitar, very good at golf, powerlift, running, played cello until high school, strung lacrosse heads for my teammates, paint and draw in my free time ---training and applying to become a volunteer firefighter (something i always wished i did in college but couldn't)
Relevant Honors or Awards: GPA of 3.5+ (Dean's list in 2020, 2021, 3.75+ President's List (2021).
LOR type and strength: General Practitioner (very strong) Bio chem prof (grade: A) (strong), Orgo 2 Prof (grade: A) (moderately strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

School list:

I really need help tailoring which schools I should be applying to and currently, these are my top two targets. Obviously they are VERY well out of my range unless I pull an amazing DAT retake on July 15th or have a very comprehensive application that details every weak point of my career so far.

VCU

Midwestern AZ (brother graduated med school in 2023)

literally any OOS school that will give me a chance for an interview
Hate to say it but VCU isn't likely. I was rejected IS after interview with a 24 AA

Status
Not open for further replies.