wanting to become DPT need advice ..HELP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in undergrad right now, i graduate in may. I want to be a pt but i was wondering can anyone tell me on a scale of 1-10 how hard a DPT program is ? i still have to take my prerecs- such as chem, physics etc..
i guess the questions i have are:
1) what are some cheap pts schools
2) what GPA should i aim for overall and in science area
3)How hard is a DPT program
4) what is the starting salary of a DPT

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, regarding GPA I believe a 3.00 is required by most schools in order to apply but of course the higher the better. Starting salary range could be around 60K or 65K but it depends. I cant' tell you how hard it will be because I'm in the same situation I will graduate in April, and cheap PT School? from the ones I have looked at...I believe FIU is the cheapest. But I have mainly looked for schools in FL I do not know much about other states
Good luck

Thanks very much xmeryx.I also live in fl. and good luck to you also

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you can handle A&P and physiology stuff then it shouldn't be that bad. My friend got into UNF, she is dropping out after one semester (just this past fall) since she said it is pretty tough. She had an undergrad gpa of 3.6-3.8 range. She did get a 980 on the GRE but the GRE is overrated. Shes going to nursing school now, which I think is also tough. She sent me some of her ppt slides and she had a of studying to do just for gross anatomy. (i.e. need to know every muscle and each muscles movements like add and abduction, plantar-dorsi flexion, etc.) Then I opened up another ppt and saw it was everything on the spinal nerves. It looked intimidating, but if you really want to be a PT you have to go to school.

DPT or MPT. DPT cost a lot more than an MPT. I live and grew up in tallahassee, I went to fsu, and heard about FAMU's program from the PTs I volunteered with. Even though the 1st time pass rates of the NPTE are bad, they say the school is still good. I believe FAMU is still an MPT so it would be about 30k for tuition (like paying off a car loan after graduation right?) but they might be changing to DPT then I wouldn't know how much it would be yet. MPT's are on the decline and I read somewhere that everyone needs a DPT by a certain year or they can't practice???????

As far as starting salary, what everyone has been saying is about right. But when you do some part-time stuff it can be up to like 80k-90k.

What Schools are you guys applying to? or have you already applied. I graduated in Spring '08 and took a year off since I didn't have my s**t together (the one thing I regret the most). Now i'm hoping to get in to start the fall of '09. Applied to Nova and UCF and 2 schools in GA.

J,
thanks for the info. As far as schools im applying to.. im current in school in springfield mo.. i want to apply to southwest baptist here in MO also. and maybe missouri state, yet im from fl and havent ruled out applying to any of those schools ither, my greatest fear is that i will do horrible in chem and physics, and not beable to get into grad school. also what did you mean you had to take a year off?? like you didnt have your prerecs all done???

Any way lets keep in touch and best of luck to you.

can anyone plz help me out vit dis? i hv just completed my bachlors In physiotherapy. its a 4 1/2 yrs course from Dr NTR Universty of health sciences,AP, India.i need 2 know
1) can i apply for DPt
2) if yes ..hw?
3) clearing lic is impt 4 applying?
4) can anyone briefout the procedure for fall intake 2009...hope its not too late?

Last edited:
can anyone plz help me out vit dis? i hv just completed my bachlors In physiotherapy. its a 4 1/2 yrs course from Dr NTR Universty of health sciences,AP, India.i need 2 know
1) can i apply for DPt
2) if yes ..hw?
3) clearing lic is impt 4 applying?
4) can anyone briefout the procedure for fall intake 2009...hope its not too late?

As far as I know DPT is an entry-level degree, meaning that if you have already completed a bachelors degree in physical therapy from another country you are not eligible for it... I am not sure how it works, but I know that some PTs from other countries get some credits transferred and complete other ones before sitting for the board exam...That usually is a long process though...

If you think you can handle A&P and physiology stuff then it shouldn't be that bad. My friend got into UNF, she is dropping out after one semester (just this past fall) since she said it is pretty tough. She had an undergrad gpa of 3.6-3.8 range. She did get a 980 on the GRE but the GRE is overrated. Shes going to nursing school now, which I think is also tough. She sent me some of her ppt slides and she had a of studying to do just for gross anatomy. (i.e. need to know every muscle and each muscles movements like add and abduction, plantar-dorsi flexion, etc.) Then I opened up another ppt and saw it was everything on the spinal nerves. It looked intimidating, but if you really want to be a PT you have to go to school.

DPT or MPT. DPT cost a lot more than an MPT. I live and grew up in tallahassee, I went to fsu, and heard about FAMU's program from the PTs I volunteered with. Even though the 1st time pass rates of the NPTE are bad, they say the school is still good. I believe FAMU is still an MPT so it would be about 30k for tuition (like paying off a car loan after graduation right?) but they might be changing to DPT then I wouldn't know how much it would be yet. MPT's are on the decline and I read somewhere that everyone needs a DPT by a certain year or they can't practice???????

As far as starting salary, what everyone has been saying is about right. But when you do some part-time stuff it can be up to like 80k-90k.

What Schools are you guys applying to? or have you already applied. I graduated in Spring '08 and took a year off since I didn't have my s**t together (the one thing I regret the most). Now i'm hoping to get in to start the fall of '09. Applied to Nova and UCF and 2 schools in GA.

I applied to St Augustine, I will apply to FIU and probbably UM

As far as I know DPT is an entry-level degree, meaning that if you have already completed a bachelors degree in physical therapy from another country you are not eligible for it... I am not sure how it works, but I know that some PTs from other countries get some credits transferred and complete other ones before sitting for the board exam...That usually is a long process though...
thanks for the reply soccer31 .

J,
thanks for the info. As far as schools im applying to.. im current in school in springfield mo.. i want to apply to southwest baptist here in MO also. and maybe missouri state, yet im from fl and havent ruled out applying to any of those schools ither, my greatest fear is that i will do horrible in chem and physics, and not beable to get into grad school. also what did you mean you had to take a year off?? like you didnt have your prerecs all done???

Any way lets keep in touch and best of luck to you.

Well, I graduated in the Spring of '08. I wanted to apply for a PT program that started in '08 but I only had 23 hours of volunteer hrs. and at the time I did not take the GRE yet. Now I have taken the GRE and have over 100 hrs of volunteer. I still dont think I will get in anywhere w/ my low GPA but I still had to try.

Even though the 1st time pass rates of the NPTE are bad, they say the school is still good.

Not sure why the school would be good if it produces graduates who struggle with the NPTE. If you can't pass the test, you can't practice as a PT.

J,

keep your head up man dont let the GPA get you down bro.

Not sure why the school would be good if it produces graduates who struggle with the NPTE. If you can't pass the test, you can't practice as a PT.

Well when I was volunteering, the PT's that I was shadowing all graduated from there and they said it was a great program (and passed the test the first time they took it) even though their stats are like that. At the same time, there was an exercise tech that just graduated from FAMU's PT program and she did not pass the test the 1st time she took it and when I asked her if she would go to FAMU all over again she said no. The other PT's over heard her say that and they told me , sure there are programs that may prepare you for the NPTE better than other schools, but it's really up to the student. If you want it bad enough, it should not matter where you went to school, just study your but off. Then they pointed (with their eyes) to a guy that graduated from St. Augustine and they said that he is also studying to attempt his 2nd test.

J,

keep your head up man dont let the GPA get you down bro.

Agreed..I have a low GPA as well and I know for a fact I can be a great physical therapist. I'm not going to let my low GPA stop me from pursuing my dream. Make sure you have GREAT extracurriculars and confidence in yourself. Never take no for an answer.

Agreed..I have a low GPA as well and I know for a fact I can be a great physical therapist. I'm not going to let my low GPA stop me from pursuing my dream. Make sure you have GREAT extracurriculars and confidence in yourself. Never take no for an answer.

Thanks ya'll. But I dont know. All of these rejection letters and "hold" status letters (I dont even know what "hold" means) are really bringing me down.

And I agree, I try to look at back upplans/careers and I dont see myself doing anything else other than PT.

J,
Don't let go of your dreams. If you have determination and belief in your dreams, you will succeed in spite of your desire to let go.
Catherine Pulsifer

Dont take rejection personal take it as a need to do better. Think about it man what if people quit after small rejects, then we wouldnt have many of the great leaders we had in our life time J. I'll be praying for you but remember man if God brings you to it he'll bring you through it.

ultimately the question is how bad do you want it??????