wanting to get some facts straight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im writing my secondary for TCOM. and I just wanted to make sure some of my facts are correct.

is it Osteopathic Manipulative Technique or medicine(OMT vs OMM?).

DO students have a year after graduation of residency training that is mandatory to all DO students?

Members don't see this ad.

You can use OMM, or OMT, or OP & P if you want. They all mean pretty much the same thing.

As for residencies and the PGY-1, it depends on which state you want to practice in. In Pennsylvania, for example, students are required to do a rotating internship as their PGY-1 and then continue on into residency. I believe that there are only 5 states that require DO's to do this, and I'm not sure what the other 4 are. Other than that you can do an internship or go straight into a residency.

Originally posted by DOtobe
You can use OMM, or OMT, or OP & P if you want. They all mean pretty much the same thing.

I'll take slight exception to this part of DOtobe's post. OMM and OMT can probably be used interchangeably; both refer to the manipulative part of osteopathic medicine. OPP, however, which stands for Osteopathic Principles and Practice, goes beyond the manipulative therapy. It encompasses, just as the name suggests, the philosophical and medical foundations on which the entire discipline of osteopathy rests. I believe the difference between these terms is quite significant.

with regards.

the five states where students are required to do a year of internship are : W. Virginia, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma. I believe that some residensies count the internship year as PG-1. I think IM is one of such residencies that does so.