Wanting to start EMG/NCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking a job helping build an outpatient program for a hospital while helping inpatient for call and vacation coverage. Pain trained and boarded so may incorporate some of that, but hospital wanting more general pmr stuff in outpatient clinic. No push for EMG/NCS but thought it could help get busy and actually wanting to start doing them. Unfortunately haven't done them since residency so probably about 4 years if not a little more. Any advice as to best way to start doing them again presuming the hospital will allow? Shadow, courses, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Watch the videos. If you don’t recall things take the course. It’s like riding a bike. You will remeber it. Just have a mentor around who you can ask if you see something unusual.

Reactions: 1 users
Amazon product

Love this book. Still use it from time to time.

I do 5-8 EMG per week for ortho practice - mostly carpal tunnel type stuff and a few radic screens. Agree with above - will come back to you quickly. 95+% will be easy studies. If something doesn't quite add up just document what you see and go back to AANEM monographs or above book and can figure it out. Patient doesn't have to have an answer when they leave the study if you aren't sure what is going on - waiting a few days for the right answer beats guessing at something to appease them.

If I'm concerned for something legit - ALS, MG, etc. - then I'm referring to neuro anyway and if they want to repeat the study they can do so.

Reactions: 1 user