Wanting to switch IM residency program? how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cokezero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is the problem. I am currently a categorical PGY1 at one hospital and want to switch to another program in a nearby city. I just have got to know the program that I am in, and the academics, lectures, attendings, and administration are just horrible. It is a private hospital and very influenced by the attendings. I dont know how to even start looking at other programs that potentially have a PGY2 spot open? Could I even break my contract or do interns just have one year contracts? Could i call other programs and ask them if they have open spots? So lost?!?
help...

Members don't see this ad.

i think we are stuck for the first year, but we are free to look for PGY2 spots elsewhere.

i am in the same situation. i don't even know how to find out who has open PGY2 spots, or when programs will even know how many they have available.

It is possible to switch programs. The best reason to have would be to have a spouse in another city or a sick relative or something. You will have to get your program director's blessing and most likely the PD at the other place would speak with your PD. It might be hard to bash a program to the PD's face. If you decide to try and leave and the best reason you can come with is the quality of the teaching, etc then make sure that you make it out because if for some reason you dont find a PGY2 slot that this acceptable to you and you are stuck in the same program, it could make for some friction.

I totally agree... I was specifically looking for one in the Dallas Area because of family in the area... Either Presby Dallas/ Methodist Dallas. Not going to try SW cause I know they dont have any PGY2 spots open from friends of mine. I dont know if I should just call acting like an interested applicant without mentioning the current program that I am in.