Wanting to switch into dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdconfuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an intern who matched into radiology. I am realizing that radiology is not going to be a good fit for me. I had an extremely competitive application for residency (AOA and very solid step 1) and am from a solid medical school.

I am hoping to switch into dermatology. I am coming here for advice for strategies in doing so. My questions are the following:

1. Is it extremely unlikely that I could find a PGY-2 spot for next year? If there were any openings, how would I go about finding them? Would you suggest emailing individual program directors to inquire about openings? If I did email them, should I include a CV with my emails?

2. If I did not find a PGY-2 spot for next year, could I enter the scramble this year and hopefully get a spot through the scramble, as it is already too late to enter this year's match process?

3. If numbers 1 and 2 are not options, what would you suggest doing next year while I reapply?

Thanks, all.

Members don't see this ad.

PGY-2 resident openings (very) occasionally happen. Residentswap.org might be a good place to look. The scramble is possible, but not likely.

Your best chance is to apply again, as a regular candidate, through the match. A year or two of research would help as well. The main question you'll be asked is how committed you are to the field.

Good luck.

Do most programs advertise their spots on residentswap? Is there a way around paying $80 to look at position openings? Also, would you suggest directly emailing programs about possible openings?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, $80 is the least of your worries. Applying to derm is EXPENSIVE!! Money for apps and travel will run you thousands.

on a different note, I would try and do a cool research project with a radiology attending. Something with derm and radiological findings. I would then find a derm faculty member somewhere to also be involved and present the findings at the annual Derm convention.

IMHO, there is a big question. . .
why are you interested in derm? Your answer will either get you in or keep you out. You need to convince a PD not to take an up-and-comming grad, and instead to pick a radiology resident. You can do it, but it will be a challenge.

Switching into derm is not that easy and you may find yourself needing to do a clinical fellowship to 1) get some publications in derm, 2) develop connections within derm, and 3) convince people that you are interested in derm. Personally, I would be interested in the answer myself (as people have already pointed out on this thread) since that can definitely make or break you, and you'll have a higher level of scrutiny since you'll have already walked away from one residency before.

Also, have you gotten a release from your radiology match? You'll need to disclose that on future applications. I know of people that have chosen not to disclose in the past when they stepped away from another matched spot and this can have dire consequence if you are not honest about it.

The scramble will be very tough, if not virtually impossible, because you probably don't have any connections within derm (or maybe you do?) and connections are king for the scramble since it's rare to have unmatched spots in derm.

Since Derm is a small group, a lot of open spots are more on the dl than other specialties. I think PDs are the ones who are most in the know. Are you able to reach out to the Derm Dept. at your medical school or at your current institution?

Best of luck. It may take some time, but if it's truly what you want, you should be able to get it.