Wanting to take an upper-level Bio class, while studying for MCAT and working FT?

Started by jophe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jophe

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some input on this decision

I am currently working fulltime at a somewhat demanding job, and studying for the MCAT. I am going to take the April test, but I really want to take an upper level Bio next semester to boost the GPA (3.44.) I am shooting for Immunology. I reasoned that this will actually help me prepare for BS (MCAT.)
It will just be one class, twice a week for 1.5 hours. This shouldn't really cut into MCAT prep. I took the August 06 test (24M,) so I am not going into this without any previous experience.

I know some can juggle more than others, so I will keep that in mind when reading any responses. I was just trying to gauge what to expect if I go down this route. Any input would be greatl appreciated!

Thanks!👍
 
no advice? I am not looking for someone to tell me what to do - I just wanted to see if anybody else had a semester like this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!😎
 
Your plan does not sound bad. Immunology is not a class that will impact your MCAT study time so you seem to be a good track. I think biochem would be a good class to take as well since it will boost the GPA and could help with the MCAT prep since it touches on bio/chem/orgo all in one class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Immunology will not be a big help for the MCAT. However, only you can answer your question about whether you can handle the courseload. I took 2 upper-division Bio. classes, as well as a Chem. Lab the semester I took the MCAT, while working full time. I got 3 As, a 36 on the MCAT, and still have the same full-time job. If you think you can handle it, go for it.
 
Immunology will not be a big help for the MCAT. However, only you can answer your question about whether you can handle the courseload. I took 2 upper-division Bio. classes, as well as a Chem. Lab the semester I took the MCAT, while working full time. I got 3 As, a 36 on the MCAT, and still have the same full-time job. If you think you can handle it, go for it.

"Why don't you see if you can handle jo'self one of them first class tickets to the resurrection." I love the avatar man. 👍 Thanks for the advice. That is all I needed to know. So your in Houston? Where did you take the classes? UH?

Thanks!
 
😍 However as previously stated, Immunology will not give you an edge on the MCAT. However if you enjoy it then take it because it will give you an introduction into some of the material which you will cover your 1st year of med school.
 
"Why don't you see if you can handle jo'self one of them first class tickets to the resurrection." I love the avatar man. 👍 Thanks for the advice. That is all I needed to know. So your in Houston? Where did you take the classes? UH?

Thanks!
I'm in Austin, and I took the classes at UT. Of course, since your taste in movies is excellent, you'll do fine 🙂 If you're looking for an Upper-Division Bio. class to take that will help with the MCAT, I'd recommend [Human] Physiology. Also, don't get me wrong, while I was successful in taking those courses while studying for the MCAT, it wasn't easy, but it sounds like you are considering a smaller load than what I took, so it may work out about right for you. Best of Luck to you!
 
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some input on this decision

I am currently working fulltime at a somewhat demanding job, and studying for the MCAT. I am going to take the April test, but I really want to take an upper level Bio next semester to boost the GPA (3.44.) I am shooting for Immunology. I reasoned that this will actually help me prepare for BS (MCAT.)
It will just be one class, twice a week for 1.5 hours. This shouldn't really cut into MCAT prep. I took the August 06 test (24M,) so I am not going into this without any previous experience.

I know some can juggle more than others, so I will keep that in mind when reading any responses. I was just trying to gauge what to expect if I go down this route. Any input would be greatl appreciated!

Thanks!👍

Just make sure that you get an A/A- in this class. If it isn't working out for you, the drop at the first sign of trouble. Your biggest hurdle is going to be the MCAT so that's where you emphasis should be. If your MCAT is not going along extrememly well, then drop the class. You 3.4 is lower than average but you MCAT is way low so getting that up should be your major priority.

One class is not going to raise you GPA significantly but you can get loads of boost with a good MCAT score. Good luck!
 
It can be done, but just realize that you'll basically never see your friends or family for a looong time to come, lol.

I studied for the MCAT with classes while working fulltime with some overtime on the weekends, so I have an idea of what the load is like with this. And basically this meant missing people's birthday celebrations to do orgo homework and not seeing any of my friends for weeks at a time =(

Also, the younger kids you'll see might be fairly carefree compared to you, and the amount of time they're able to dedicate to just studying (especially if they're gunner types) will depress you a little.

But you can definitely pull it off if you're willing to endure the pain.
 
Thanks to everyone who replied.👍 Some very good advice. If I am going to be taking a class, Immunology is going to be my only choice - since I have either taken most of the other relevant upper Bios, or the ones I can take are scheduled during working hours for me. It stinks that the odds are against me with the GPA and MCAT, since it really doesn't reflect my capabilities. My biggest hurdle is just myself. Not work ethic, but spending too much energy worrying/stressing if this is what I really want to be putting all of my time an energy into. And it sucks that that keeps swirling around my head when I am studying, or trying to focus - or when I am taking the MCAT. It borders pathological at times. But the kicker is, when I think about what else I would want to do, nothing else motivates me quite like medicine. Don't see how I am going to explain that on to the adcoms without sounding like I have serious OCD. I really envy people who can get on a path, and don't obsess about other possible paths. Regardless, thanks again everyone for the replies!
 
Thanks to everyone who replied.👍 Some very good advice. If I am going to be taking a class, Immunology is going to be my only choice - since I have either taken most of the other relevant upper Bios, or the ones I can take are scheduled during working hours for me. It stinks that the odds are against me with the GPA and MCAT, since it really doesn't reflect my capabilities. My biggest hurdle is just myself. Not work ethic, but spending too much energy worrying/stressing if this is what I really want to be putting all of my time an energy into. And it sucks that that keeps swirling around my head when I am studying, or trying to focus - or when I am taking the MCAT. It borders pathological at times. But the kicker is, when I think about what else I would want to do, nothing else motivates me quite like medicine. Don't see how I am going to explain that on to the adcoms without sounding like I have serious OCD. I really envy people who can get on a path, and don't obsess about other possible paths. Regardless, thanks again everyone for the replies!
Don't worry man, I think that as you do this crazy hard work for med school you'll slowly realize you really wanna go-otherwise why would you torture yourself this way :laugh:
 
If you say you are having issues with concentrating for the MCAT (study wise) why would you add another thing to your plate? one class is not going to impact your GPA that much and your GPA is not too shabby. My opinion is to prep like mad for the MCAT which will determine if you get in or not. Good luck.
 
👍 Thanks for the honest advice everyone. I am going for it, and just signed up for the Immuno class today. I really miss being in school, so I really think this will help me get some positive momentum on the MCAT studies as well.