Warning - MCG Anesthesiology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cut and pasted this from Scutwork.com - Interesting Review

28-Mar- 2009

Schedule

In the Main OR: Get here about 6:30A, in the room by 7:30. Get 15 min AM break. Lunch 30 min. Out at the earliest 4 PM, latest 7-8PM. CRNAs go home before residents, if a resident's cases are done then they get the CRNAs out. Call is q5-6 with 2 weekends off a month. There is currently a night float system in place, where a CA-2 or CA-3 is on 6P-6A one week at a time.
On some rotations (CT/Neuro) residents tend to stay later than others.
ICU: report at 6:30 AM leave on average around 5 PM with q4 call.
OB: 6:30 AM - around 4:30 PM with q3 call.
Pain: 8 AM - 3:30 PM with 1 hour lunch. two weekends in main OR.

Teaching

This is definitely one of the weak parts of the program. Day to day really depends on the faculty you are assigned to. Some faculty enjoy teaching (and actually do) while others would prefer to leave you in the room all day with no interaction. There is little to no didactic sessions taking place. Most attendings are too busy covering 2-3 rooms, and canceled lectures are frequent. There seems to be very little time for residents to study on there own as well. This has lead to a board failure rate approaching 50% in recent years.
Atmosphere

Residents get along well. There is a good mix of married with family and single residents in the program. There is also a good working relationship between residents and attendings in the Main OR, Pain, and Peds. However, there is a significantly hostile work environment in both the OB and CT departments. Some of the faculty in these departments create a sense of bullying and intimidation towards the residents. Unfortunately the director of OB has been made the program director. This has caused the atmosphere of OB and CT to be felt department wide. There is also a constant fear of being given an extra 6 months of residency for inconsistently enforced regulations. Last year 3 out of 9 residents in the senior class were given 6 month extensions on their residencies.
Conclusion

Overall this program is in dire need of change. It does have potential, but under the current administration it will not realized. I would recommend ranking MCG low on your list if at all.

http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=996&d=1

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. It's not very often we get a Path attending browsing scutwork and supplying random reviews to our forum.

Welcome. :eyebrow:

Wow. It's not very often we get a Path attending browsing scutwork and supplying random reviews to our forum.

Welcome. :eyebrow:

No problem - I am happy to share information I come across with anesthesiology colleagues and medical students on this board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. 4 years ago when I interviewed there residents were leaving at 3-4 pm the latest and overall it was a a laid back program which was under change at that moment.
Overall their schedule is still better than ours. I would say - much better.

Wow - not the view I've gotten.

Just met a couple of the MCG residents at the ASA Legislative Conference. They seemed very happy with the program. The chairman is also very pro-MD/residents, which is great considering they also have to deal with SRNA's.

Obviously the person writing this review is a current resident, otherwise, they would put their rank (unless they are afraid of being identified). In this case, it looks like a smear campaign: "Overall this program is in dire need of change. It does have potential, but under the current administration it will not realized. I would recommend ranking MCG low on your list if at all."
This person does not like the
OB or the CT people; therefore, his/her review should be taken with a grain of salt. All programs have good and bad things, but this review does not appear to be the motives of this reviewer