Warning of AMCs financial collapse? Better watch your back.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmag

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing multiple threads here with information about financial troubles of AMCs. One physician opposed his hospital being sold to an even shadier entity and told his colleagues about looming financial insolvency. What happened next seems unbelievable even as a movie involving planted weapons, drugs, car sabotage, and other intimidation along with buying off police and a judge. Glad the guy finally won his lawsuit but 5.7 million seems like too small of a judgement.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Seeing multiple threads here with information about financial troubles of AMCs. One physician opposed his hospital being sold to an even shadier entity and told his colleagues about looming financial insolvency. What happened next seems unbelievable even as a movie involving planted weapons, drugs, car sabotage, and other intimidation along with buying off police and a judge. Glad the guy finally won his lawsuit but 5.7 million seems like too small of a judgement.

That is, indeed, a crazy read.

Reactions: 1 user

WTAF!

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

Tangent: My dad worked at that hospital occasionally in the 80s- early 90s (he worked more at another hospital), but I remember going there with him for rounds on the weekend. He said that back in the day, the hospital tried to recruit physicians by having awesome physicians food in the lounge. His example was steak and lobster -- they had to stop that.

Edit: my dad just told me he knew Fitzgibbons very well from being residents (different specialties) at the same time and consulting with him at West Med. So interesting and super crazy. I don't think of things turning mafia like in medicine.

Last edited:
:eek:

Tangent: My dad worked at that hospital occasionally in the 80s- early 90s (he worked more at another hospital), but I remember going there with him for rounds on the weekend. He said that back in the day, the hospital tried to recruit physicians by having awesome physicians food in the lounge. His example was steak and lobster -- they had to stop that.

Edit: my dad just told me he knew Fitzgibbons very well from being residents (different specialties) at the same time and consulting with him at West Med. So interesting and super crazy. I don't think of things turning mafia like in medicine.

I could see a group of shady goons from a PE firm doing this but then again I could also see the govt using far more coercive and destructive tactics if “providers” don’t play ball.

5.7 million does seem too low. I’d have thought he should get punitive damages to make it an even 20 million, otherwise I could see those shady operators doing this again.

Shady stuff like this happens all the time. At one hospital I know of there were staffing conflicts where the CMO regularly lodged sham care and behavioral complaints against a group of physicians he didn’t like. He’d go so far as to file complaints with the medical staff association and medical board to get people de-privileged, disciplined, and fired. Everyone knew what he was doing but he still got away with it after ruining several physician’s careers. The guy should have gone to jail but he got away with it.

Reactions: 2 users
5.7 million does seem too low. I’d have thought he should get punitive damages to make it an even 20 million, otherwise I could see those shady operators doing this again.

Shady stuff like this happens all the time. At one hospital I know of there were staffing conflicts where the CMO regularly lodged sham care and behavioral complaints against a group of physicians he didn’t like. He’d go so far as to file complaints with the medical staff association and medical board to get people de-privileged, disciplined, and fired. Everyone knew what he was doing but he still got away with it after ruining several physician’s careers. The guy should have gone to jail but he got away with it.

I really thought that we are at least immune to that…. But I guess not. Fuk those petty shlt heads with a little power.

I know someone who did this to another doc (called the board based on hearsay). Wrote horrible reviews online for docs too. Then projected that those docs were doing it to them. Called me to make me agree that what they did was acceptable. I no longer talk to them. Slowly cut then out of my life. I was afraid they'd start writing stuff about me online.

behind the scenes action revealed. im sure this isnt even all that uncommon, just that most of them do not get revealed

the rich and powerful can get away with a lot of stuff, especially since lawyers are very expensive to hire. judges and politicians can also be bought out