WARNING to all Canadian IMG's participating in US Match - Re: J1 Visa and the Statement of Need!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Pathfinder,

I am also interested in this as I submitted "late" on Monday. When did you apply? Did you speak with someone who told you that the quota was full? Or how did you know? I applied for IM. Do you know how to go about the appeal?

Hi,
I applied after Monday, I still did not receive any reply. I don't know if it is already full or not. I am also applying for IM.
I don't know how to appeal. Lets try to figure this out together.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe Canada makes such educated people go through such "quota BS." Sorry you guys have to go through this!!
Honestly, it's because there really aren't enough speciality jobs for a huge proportion of Canadian residency grads. There really isnt'. Tons of people, literally most all surg grads, can't get work here

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I applied after Monday, I still did not receive any reply. I don't know if it is already full or not. I am also applying for IM.
I don't know how to appeal. Lets try to figure this out together.

Luckily I made the quota. But you can try calling your MP etc. Good luck

Hi im a Canadian in a USMD looking at a non-categorical specialty with a Pgy1 preliminary/intern year.

Some residency programs say they don't sponsor J1 so if I get into a prelim pgy1 program that sponsors my J1 what happens if the residency program doesn't?

Some residency programs say they don't sponsor J1 so if I get into a prelim pgy1 program that sponsors my J1 what happens if the residency program doesn't?

I might be missing something here, but I think the obvious answer is don't apply to residency programs that don't sponsor the J1 if you need a J1...

Reactions: 1 user
I might be missing something here, but I think the obvious answer is don't apply to residency programs that don't sponsor the J1 if you need a J1...

Yes this probably is a dumb question but I meant if the Pgy1 program sponsored the J1 is there a way to continue using that visa for the residency program (pgy2 and onwards) or does the residency program have to sponsor me also?

I'm assuming yes but I just wanted hear from people who may be familiar with the whole visa situation.

Yes this probably is a dumb question but I meant if the Pgy1 program sponsored the J1 is there a way to continue using that visa for the residency program (pgy2 and onwards) or does the residency program have to sponsor me also?

I'm assuming yes but I just wanted hear from people who may be familiar with the whole visa situation.

Your prelim year, whether it's surgery, medicine or a TY year, is treated separately from whatever follows. You cannot continue on your prelim year J1 as it needs to be renewed every year by whatever institution you're at. Therefore both the prelim year and what follows will need to sponsor the J1 separately. Therefore, only apply to programs that sponsor the J1 if that's what you need.

Does anyone know if Canadian citizens that are US qualified internist/hospitalist can come back to Canada and practice without having to do residency again?

the real reason why there are no jobs or positions is because the canadian government restricts the number of such positions because they cannot afford paying for either the position nor the healthcare that is adminstered because medicine is socialized

Reactions: 1 user