Was this guy a CCM attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand if there's no way of knowing for sure, but tell me what you guys think.

We transported another BS patient to the ED (she had been maced), and naturally it's taking FOREVER to give report and leave. My partner was dealing with the paperwork and I heard "sepsis alert, ED 43" over the PA.. Having never heard this, my interest was piqued and I headed over there.

The patient was interesting, end stage lung CA with pleural effusion, PH of 7.2 and a BP of 40/20. What really struck me was the two extra docs that showed up. One was a surgery resident (smokin hot btw) and the other was a doc that was not familiar to me and I didn't recognize him as an ED doc. I asked one of the nurses who said "I think he's the critical float" (that's exactly how she said it). This guy rather took charge of the scenario, and did some procedures (IJ, a-line, etc, surgery resident did chest tube).

Unfortunately we had to leave before the end so that's as much info as I can give, but it occurred to me that this job would be AWESOME. Float around the hospital to codes/messed up patients like this, swoop in and be super doc, then leave or perhaps admit him to my own service? Either way, the "rescue techs" of the hospital.. I want it.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great save:rolleyes:

I never implied that, but it was interesting to watch him go from talking at 100/50 to unconscious and 40/20, then the code. They get to do fun things that I don't when I'm on the medic.

Members don't see this ad :)
so he even had the hot female resident? wow!!! LOL.

Be an anesthesiologist...it's what we do every day. Except it's a bit more than "rescue tech". :rolleyes:

I understand if there's no way of knowing for sure, but tell me what you guys think.

We transported another BS patient to the ED (she had been maced), and naturally it's taking FOREVER to give report and leave. My partner was dealing with the paperwork and I heard "sepsis alert, ED 43" over the PA.. Having never heard this, my interest was piqued and I headed over there.

The patient was interesting, end stage lung CA with pleural effusion, PH of 7.2 and a BP of 40/20. What really struck me was the two extra docs that showed up. One was a surgery resident (smokin hot btw) and the other was a doc that was not familiar to me and I didn't recognize him as an ED doc. I asked one of the nurses who said "I think he's the critical float" (that's exactly how she said it). This guy rather took charge of the scenario, and did some procedures (IJ, a-line, etc, surgery resident did chest tube).

Unfortunately we had to leave before the end so that's as much info as I can give, but it occurred to me that this job would be AWESOME. Float around the hospital to codes/messed up patients like this, swoop in and be super doc, then leave or perhaps admit him to my own service? Either way, the "rescue techs" of the hospital.. I want it.. :)

Be an anesthesiologist...it's what we do every day. Except it's a bit more than "rescue tech". :rolleyes:

Rescue Techs are the pinacle of the fire service. The firemen that come when firemen need help. The best, smartest, and most technical. This guy seemed to be the "rescue tech" of doctors.. No reason for the eye roll, it was a compliment.

Critical care is more and more moving into a shift-work kind of arena, and it would be a pretty sweet gig. Although as the critical care doc you'd also be admitting to the critical care service (ICU) and taking care of the patient after all the lines and **** went in, and would probably be involved in the patient's longer term care for the next few days while in the unit during your shifts.

EDIT: Probably a pulmonary guy, mostly because in the current economy you just don't really see the surgeon and gas guys slumming it outside of the OR

Last edited: