wash u?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onyX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey-
where does Wash U anesthesia fall in whole picture...
any perks? residents happy?
high-tier? mid-tier? who knows....??
appreciate the info-
later :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i honestly appreciate the fact that you replied... I really do. BUT

Specifically, Wash U is a name school. It has a awesome reputation as mentioned in the previous posts and it is mentioned in US world and news report. However, Wash U has a ton of departments that do great things, have great research, turn out well-trained physicians, etc.... So, is the Anesthesiology dept relying on those other well known Department and the name of the school to carry it?

I'm not picking on wash u for this, the same could be said about others, etc.... where the anesthesiology department is not the "ranked program" but maybe the surgery department outranks, and so more preferences are given to them in the OR?

Essentially it all affects the training- get my drift?

Since I'm here at WashU, I'll take a bite at this.

The department here is loaded with funding. There's as much research as you could want, all you have to do is ask.

I suspect they do a pretty good job taking care of their residents, because I haven't heard that many negatives throughout my 3 anesthesia rotations. The residents are incredibly easy to work with and seem happy. From speaking with residents, regional may be a bit weak with respect to all our other services. Otherwise, cardiothoracic is especially strong, with anesthesiologists running the open CT ICU. Brand new ORs. Surgeon-anesthesiologist relations are fine (some surgeons better than others).

It's hard for me to judge how far our reputation goes, because I'm here.

As for perks. . . Hmm. . . Are you talking about call schedules or moonlighting or educational funding, etc? I think they've started opening up moonlighting shifts. CA2's get to go to a conference of their choice. Call schedules are about the same as anywhere else.

WashU turns out very competent physicians. Of the residents last year, I know one went as far as Los Angeles for private practice. I believe everyone who wanted a fellowship got one.

If there's anything more specific, let me know.