WashU vs UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr4b

Reaction score
WashU vs state schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean, you will have no problem matching in California from WashU or UCR/UCI. I don't think you'll limit yourself by choosing one of the UCs, but like, if WashU ends up being the cheapest option, I'd take it. Then again if you will be unhappy there and you know this, then don't go there.

What is the overall difference in CoA?

If prestige doesn't mean much to you, then it doesn't mean much to you. There's your answer. Prestige does not change the quality of training you receive. Go to the school where you will be happiest and makes financial sense.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, you will have no problem matching in California from WashU or UCR/UCI. I don't think you'll limit yourself by choosing one of the UCs, but like, if WashU ends up being the cheapest option, I'd take it. Then again if you will be unhappy there and you know this, then don't go there.

What is the overall difference in CoA?
is definitely a bit cheaper in the end. I have this concern that I won’t be happy there but it’s just based on internet searches and videos really since everything is virtual and feels fake so I honestly don’t know 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If prestige doesn't mean much to you, then it doesn't mean much to you. There's your answer. Prestige does not change the quality of training you receive. Go to the school where you will be happiest and makes financial sense.
Thanks for your opinion! I guess what keeps getting me is all the students at those schools talking about things like services or support or opportunities etc. that made their choice so easy. it’s always so vague but seems to imply that there’s something there that will make students happier or more successful or whatever and they seem to tie it into this “better school” idea if that makes sense. So I’m just trying to understand if that’s real!

Thanks for your opinion! I guess what keeps getting me is all the students at those schools talking about things like services or support or opportunities etc. that made their choice so easy. it’s always so vague but seems to imply that there’s something there that will make students happier or more successful or whatever and they seem to tie it into this “better school” idea if that makes sense. So I’m just trying to understand if that’s real!
It's not real

Reactions: 1 user
How is UCs $20K higher than WashU with partial scholarship? Did you get 50% or more at WashU?

UC Davis is #7 in primary care rankings as per USNWR.

In regards to your cons about WashU, Forest Park from what I heard is very close to campus and it is HUGE! The weather is worse than in California, but I still think that you'll have time and opportunities for outdoors activities.

Not sure about the gunner reputation, though I feel like it might be lower than other similarly-ranked institutions?

In regards to your cons about WashU, Forest Park from what I heard is very close to campus and it is HUGE! The weather is worse than in California, but I still think that you'll have time and opportunities for outdoors activities.

Not sure about the gunner reputation, though I feel like it might be lower than other similarly-ranked institutions?
Thanks for pointing that out! it is very cool that they have that- but in all honesty I'm a deep in the mountains or desert with no phone service type of nature person haha so that doesn't ~quite~ do it for me as far as my concern for being able to participate in camping/hiking/mountain biking outdoor activities.

I guess I do need to decide what the value of that is when I will probably be in the library most of the time anyway though :/

Thanks for pointing that out! it is very cool that they have that- but in all honesty I'm a deep in the mountains or desert with no phone service type of nature person haha so that doesn't ~quite~ do it for me as far as my concern for being able to participate in camping/hiking/mountain biking outdoor activities.

I guess I do need to decide what the value of that is when I will probably be in the library most of the time anyway though :/
I feel you on that one. I'm a big city guy and Saint Louis doesn't really match my vibe, but I'm gonna be a med student so how much is that going to matter anyway

By my best estimate $17k higher per year, yeah. COA though so part of that is straight up the CA COL 🙃
If you were my kid, I would recommend WashU. You can match to CA or anywhere else from WashU. I am from CA and been to St. Louis to couple of times, besides BBQ nothing appeals in that city but you are going for education.

If you were my kid, I would recommend WashU. You can match to CA or anywhere else from WashU. I am from CA and been to St. Louis to couple of times, besides BBQ nothing appeals in that city but you are going for education.
For 1/2 tuition scholarship difference,or about $140k total difference, I’d say pick you choice and don’t worry about that difference, especially including Duke and Vandy over St. Louis.

thanks for sharing! on some level I agree, but then I remember that 4 years is a long time and med school is going to be tough, and then I start to think I should find a place that I think I will be genuinely happy at...

For 1/2 tuition scholarship difference,or about $140k total difference, I’d say pick you choice and don’t worry about that difference, especially including Duke and Vandy over St. Louis.
This is also something I'm thinking about, though as I said- I have trouble really feeling out the value of those schools as well.

This is also something I'm thinking about, though as I said- I have trouble really feeling out the value of those schools as well.
Go to one of the UCs. It is clear that prestige is not important to you. The value of the school is the education they provide, and UCI/UCD both provide top notch education. WashU's education is not better.

thanks for sharing! on some level I agree, but then I remember that 4 years is a long time and med school is going to be tough, and then I start to think I should find a place that I think I will be genuinely happy at...
Agree happiness is important. Is Vandy still in play? That school is known for happiness and its rank is improving steadily 😀

Have you spoken to current students? I have friends at Wash U who absolutely love it. I don't know anything about the CA schools you're considering but I think the "top" schools are ironically less competitive due to true pass/fail, AOA being awarded post-match, etc.

I would really recommend talking to as many students as you can from each place, from all 4 years. St. Louis is also a wonderful place, try to visit if you can.