Wassup with nuclear medicine?

Started by Quixote
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Quixote

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean the kind where you go directly after graduation, no previous rads. What kind of people go into those residencies? How is the job market? An IMG I know that could never match into IM (his boards 175/178) has matched into nuclear med...I thought it was competitive but after seeing him match am not so sure...Please advise
 
donvicious said:
According to FREIDA, 45.5% of Nuclear Medicine residents are IMG.

Nuclear medicine is one of the least competitive specialties, if not the least. The 45.5% IMG match is actually down from a couple years ago when it was well over 60%. The reason sometimes held as being the more widespread availability of PET scanning and the trend towards molecular imaging in recent years.