Waterloo anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hutch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there planning on applying to Waterloo?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying to waterloo. I'm canadian so my main motivation for applying there is cost and location (close to home and family).

However, waterloo being the only optometry school in canada that teaches in english, the admission is extremely competitive and (despite what the website may say) getting in is based pretty much soley on grades.

So despite my volunteer/work experience, interest in optometry, knowledge of the profession, etc... i don't hold out much hope of getting in. So i'm mainly looking at US schools right now (hoping for ICO).

At this point I will be ecstatic to get in anywhere. I can't wait to be an optometrist! :)

I will be applying to Waterloo as well. I have also heard that getting in is very tough.

For all those applying to waterloo (or have been accepted before), whould you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks in advance...

My stats:

Gpa 3.93
Science 3.99
OAT: I am going to take it next month.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those applying to waterloo (or have been accepted before), whould you mind sharing your stats?
I did my undergrad at UW. We don't have the gpa thing here, but rather number grades.

Average: 89%
Total OAT score 380
Science sections 400

Oh and btw I was accepted last year.

I will be applying to Waterloo...and i have a question..hoping someone will know the answer to this..

I was planning on applying to Waterloo last year, and so I filled out my form 105 for my ouac# and got an application for waterloo in my email. However, due to personal circumstances i decided not to apply to any schools for 2006, but instead wait until i graduated (this year) and apply for 2007...but i thought i'd get a head start on my 2007 apps and so i collected two excellent LORS for Waterloo using the 2006 app, with my 2006 ouac # on the evaluation sheet. At the time i was not aware that you had to apply for a new ouac for 2007, and now i'm afraid i'll have to collect the letters again?? Does anyone know if i'll still be able to submit my LORS from last year, or will I have to get all new ones because of the different OUAC # for 2007? Thanks in advance!

I'd call Marie Amodeo and ask her. I can't see a need to have the LORS written again...but you never know, they'll probably need the 2007 OUAC #.

Hey There,

Just thought I should write as a veteran of the optometry application scene. I applied to Waterloo twice, once in 2005 and again last year, both times I was unsuccessful....not really a suprise though. The application procedure at Waterloo is VERY different from the other 18 schools available to you in North America (including puerto rico). They are very grades/gpa based so my advice would be that if you think your pre-req GPA and OAT scores are not the greatest then apply to other schools!...I am currently a student at SCCO and I absolutely love it:love:. I am originally from Newfoundland and I am the first student to ever attend SCCO from there, very exciting!!

I ended up applying to SCCO, SCO, SUNY, NOVA, UHCO and ICO...i got offered interviews at all of them and accepted right away from 3 of them, UHCO I decided not to go to the interview. These schools are on Rolling admissions too so getting your apps in early is an advantage, much nicer than having to wait until nearly july for Waterloo....that is the lamest thing.

If any of you have questions about being a canadian student in the US or any other application q's Just send them my way :)

I wish you the best of luck!:D

i was 1rst/2nd off wait list last year

gpa 3.96
oat 360 ts 370

hi, i'm applying for waterloo too....has anyone received their application forms in the mail/electronically yet? i sent in my application through the ouac the last week of october and am waiting to hear back from waterloo. i know some people who have been waiting for over a month with no word.

i was 1rst/2nd off wait list last year

gpa 3.96
oat 360 ts 370

Tybuff,
Shouldnt you be working on our 105 paper?!

As for Waterloo, I would say that everyone should at least give it a chance, if you want to work in Canada after you do your OD, it makes things alot easier (only one set of boards). I had low marks in my first year of undergrad, then they went up every year until I completed my degree. My overall GPA wasnt so hot (if you look on the grade range on their webpage, I am on the lower end). I was rejected the first time I applied, after 3 years, and got in after my 4th year.

hi, i'm applying for waterloo too....has anyone received their application forms in the mail/electronically yet? i sent in my application through the ouac the last week of october and am waiting to hear back from waterloo. i know some people who have been waiting for over a month with no word.

I don't think they've sent them out yet. I know last year I didn't get my application until sometime in early December.

Waterloo dosen't do rolling admissions so it really doesn't matter when you apply. They don't look at any of them untill after the deadline when all are in.