Waterloo interview prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetitans2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are people preparing for the waterloo interviews next week?

Members don't see this ad.

that's what i wanna know!
i do'nt know...i guess know something aboutthe school?

i dont' really know what to wear as a girl...
maybe a dressy coat and black pants?
i donno

Interview Attire:
For girls wear a suit. If you don't have a suit wearing a dress pants and blouse would work. If you can throw a blazer on top that would be great.
You probably don't want to be wearing coat while you interview.

For boys again wear a suit. Tie is unnecessary but wouldn't hurt.

Remember to be comfortable and to look good and neat.
Don't forget to wear a pair of suitable shoes.

In terms of interview questions. Here are examples of what I was asked last year.

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. What kind of courses did you take in your undergrad?
3. What was/were your favourite course(s) and least favourite course(s)?
4. What is the difference between optometrist and ophthalmologist?
5. How would you tell a patient that it is no longer safe for him or her to drive? What if the patient refuses to listen?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How did you answer question 5 by the way?
I was thinking to first describe to the patient the severity of the pathology. Then describe exactly the deficits, and then describe how those deficits severely limit the ability to drive.
If the patient refuses to listen I would probally begin to emphasize the danger he'll be to himself and to others.
I'm not sure what to do if the patient just storms out.....

For the attire.. is it written in stone that we must wear that?

I am a girl and I am rather small, I had so much trouble looking for a pair of fitted dress pants. At last, I asked my mom from overseas to mail me but the package is still stuck at customs after 3+ weeks.

I am a little worried I can't find any fitted dress pants and the interview day is near. At last, I got a black dress skirt pleated..

I really hope this won't affect much...I tried my very best already.. and things just didn't go the way I wanted

I am a little worried I can't find any fitted dress pants and the interview day is near. At last, I got a black dress skirt pleated..

I really hope this won't affect much...I tried my very best already.. and things just didn't go the way I wanted

As long as you look professional, you will be fine. Don't worry too much about what you're wearing but make sure it looks like you are ready for a professional school.

I don't think the admissions committee is basing any decisions on whether an applicant was wearing black dress pants or not.

As for guys... wear a tie if you have a nice one. I don't know if it's unnecessary to wear one but it adds to the classic look of a suit and really brings things up if you're not wearing a suit jacket.

How did you answer question 5 by the way?
I was thinking to first describe to the patient the severity of the pathology. Then describe exactly the deficits, and then describe how those deficits severely limit the ability to drive.
If the patient refuses to listen I would probally begin to emphasize the danger he'll be to himself and to others.
I'm not sure what to do if the patient just storms out.....

If the patient still refuses to listen, I believe there are legal actions you could take to get their license restricted... but that would probably be a last resort.

I don't remember exactly what I said for word for word...
I answered that I would show some sympathy and empathy towards the patient by carefully choosing my words and non-verbal cues.
When patient refuses to listen I would send them home and get them to come back in a day or two with a companion...

in terms of what to wear, dress is fine too.
Like Habitual Rx said as long as you look professional you should be fine...