Waterloo

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here applying/has applied recently to the school of optometry at Waterloo? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying. What kinds of thoughts do you want to hear?

Im sorry...

is it just me?, or is it every time I hear "waterloo" I always think of that ABBA song:

ABBA Waterloo

My my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse - I feel like I win when I lose

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you

Anyway,

seriously though, ..........I dont know much about Canadian Optometry schools, but i do know that they are WAAAY cheaper than American ones. to give you some numbers $60,000 compared to $160,00+ (depending where you went; genereally cheaper if you are a resident of a state that has an opt. school)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current UW optometry student, I would encourage you to consider other schools (i.e. in the states). I realize that the expense is a lot more, but probably worth it in terms of quality of instruction, facilities, etc. That being said, if you have any specific questions about the application process, just post it here and I will try to answer it.

Tokey

Originally posted by anothertony
Im sorry...

is it just me?, or is it every time I hear "waterloo" I always think of that ABBA song:

:laugh: hahahahaha! :thumbup:

Originally posted by jd4me
Is anyone here applying/has applied recently to the school of optometry at Waterloo? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I do not like their course requirements (like around 9 courses). It make it seem like the only way you can get into OP at Waterloo is to do their Pre-Optometry programme and that sucks because Waterloo does not have a high reputation in Science (other than OD) so if you fail to get in from Pre-Op, you are screwed!+pissed+

It seems like you'd need an b.sc. to fill all the pre-reqs or at least 3 yrs of an undergrad.

That's pretty much true! It seems that U of W optometry program is catered to its pre-opt. program!

Let me back this up with the requirements:

The University of Waterloo (UW) offers both an Honours Science , Regular and the Pre-Optometry/Pre-Health Program which are uniquely designed for prospective optometry applicants.

Academic Admission Requirements:

Required Prerequisites for September 2004 Entry

- General Biology (with lab) - 2 terms
- General Chemistry (with lab) - 1 term
- Physics (with lab) - 2 terms
- Calculus - 1 term
- Linear Algebra or Trigonometry or Geometry - 1 term
- Introductory Psychology - 1 term
- English/Writing - 1 term
- Physiology (Human or Mammalian) - 2 terms or Human Anatomy and Physiology - 2 terms
- Introductory Ethics - 1 term
- Organic Chemistry - 1 term
- Microbiology - 1 term
- Biochemistry - 1 term
- Statistics - 1 term

Recommended Courses for September 2004 Entry
- Human Anatomy - 1 term
- Embryology - 1 term
- Genetics - 1 term
- Histology - 1 term

and some bonus info:

Minimum grades
For acceptance into the School of Optometry, a minimum Science Average of 75% is required. The Science average is the average of all grades while the student is registered in a Faculty of Science. In recent years, the average overall university performance of the successful candidates has been approximately 85% with a range of 76% to 93%. The School of Optometry looks for an OAT score of 300 or above. Both academic and non-academic portions of each application are considered, so that, successful candidates tend to submit applications which are competitive both academically and non-academically.

For students who do not undertake their pre-optometry undergraduate studies in a Faculty of Science, an equivalent average grade will be calculated. For example, for a student with a background in Engineering, this would be an Engineering average.

I wonder what the people from the pre-opt program do if they don't get into optometry. Because realistically, only 20 people or so from ON get into the program because of quotas for other provinces.

I really don't think there are any quotas for other provinces. Each class has different proportions of people from each province, and each year there are more or less people who did the Pre-Optometry program at UW. As far as I know, people who graduate with a Pre-Optometry degree are just as qualified for anything as anyone who graduates with a general Science degree. I think in our class about 25 people did their undergrad at UW - but not all of these people were from Ontario (I did my undergrade at UW, but I'm from Alberta - I know a lot of people in Pre-Op who were in the same position). Out of 65 people, that's a fairly good chunk, but not when you consider that this is the only University that offers a program specifically dedicated to getting the pre-reqs for optometry school. Other people that I've known from the Pre-Optometry program have gone onto medical and dental school, so it's not like the degree was a complete waste of their time.

I wonder what the people from the pre-opt program do if they don't get into optometry. Because realistically, only 20 people or so from ON get into the program because of quotas for other provinces.

That is one of the major reason that I chose not to go into the pre-opt program;) . Btw, what degree would they receive if they successfully completed the pre-opt program? It is B.Sc. Pre-Optometry?

Originally posted by The Musketeer
Btw, what degree would they receive if they successfully completed the pre-opt program? It is B.Sc. Pre-Optometry?
The degree that you receive (I think) is a B.Sc. (Honours) Pre-Optometry/Pre-Health

How many people are in the pre-op program?

How many people are in the pre-op program?
I think there were ~1200 in my class in first year. The numbers seem to halve every year (at least). Most people go into something else from pre-op after taking the insane schedule in first year!
The only advantage to taking pre-op at UW is simply that if you do get into the Optometry program before finishing your degree, you can apply some of your optometry credits towards a bachelor's degree as well as an OD degree. So if you only did 3 years of undergrad, you can still get an B.Sc Honours as well as your OD, i.e. you'd get both degrees in only 7 years. Not really a huge deal, but somewhat of an advantage...

This is from http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoucal/0304/SCI/optometry.html

Agreements have been established between Ontario and the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan through which the costs incurred in educating a limited number of students at the School of Optometry are shared with the home province. The maximum number of residents to which these agreements apply are: Alberta 7; British Columbia 5; Manitoba 3; New Brunswick 1; Prince Edward Island 1 (every 3 years); Saskatchewan 3. The School of Optometry's Admission Committee bases its decisions on the competitive level of the candidate and therefore the Committee is not committed to, or limited by, a contract province's allotted number of places. In each year arrangements will be made to provide an opportunity for applicants from British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan and in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island to be interviewed in their home provinces. Applicants from the six contract provinces must meet the same admission criteria as other applicants.

This is from http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoucal/0304/SCI/optometry.html

Agreements have been established between Ontario and the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan through which the costs incurred in educating a limited number of students at the School of Optometry are shared with the home province. The maximum number of residents to which these agreements apply are: Alberta 7; British Columbia 5; Manitoba 3; New Brunswick 1; Prince Edward Island 1 (every 3 years); Saskatchewan 3. The School of Optometry's Admission Committee bases its decisions on the competitive level of the candidate and therefore the Committee is not committed to, or limited by, a contract province's allotted number of places. In each year arrangements will be made to provide an opportunity for applicants from British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan and in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island to be interviewed in their home provinces. Applicants from the six contract provinces must meet the same admission criteria as other applicants.
These agreements are only applicable to funding for the School of Optometry, and have no actual bearing on the proportion of people admitted from the different provinces. Students do not get any of these funds at all. "The School of Optometry's Admission Committee bases its decisions on the competitive level of the candidate and therefore the Committee is not committed to, or limited by, a contract province's allotted number of places." For example, there are 5 or 6 people from New Brunswick in my class alone.

Hey.

Why are all you US kids so down on canadian optometry education? I am truly curious. I am considering applying to Waterloo... but I'm from here and have done my BSc here so kinda want to branch out. I can't see the justification in spending that much more money to head to the states. But can someone give me some good reasons?

As well, pre-opt. to me at UW is a dead-end because you don't get a real major. I am finishing a BSc in Biochemistry and I am quite happy with my education at UW. They might not have a reputation of being strong in the sciences, but co-op builds that and I have had some great work experiences and the workplace has been happy with my academic preparation. In the end I will still have most of the requirements for UW Opt. except for a few recommended courses.

I don't like it when people knock UW for science since engineering and math overshadow the faculty. I ended up with a 400 total science on the OAT... so obviously UW has taught me some good stuff.

Anyway... insight would be great since I am considering applying to the states. How do schools rank in the US as well?

Cheers.

I may be wrong, but I doubt reputation of optometry school would have a big impact on your future. Most likely you'll be working for some glasses store like lenscrafter, or open up your own clinic. Unlike med/dent, there is no established further specialization, which is the main reason why people care so much about ranking anyway- so they can get into the specialty/residency of their choice.

Actually there are several specalties ODs can enter and get extra training in through residency programs.

ie. Low vision, pediatrics & binocular vision, Cornea & Contact lens, Anterior segment disease, Retina...

Most placements for these residencies only take one or two ODs/year, so your academic institution could play a factor if your GPA is equal to another applicants.