Wax-ups and methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCFpremed

Tooth Shucker
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just started coronal wax-ups and I wanted to get different opinions on how everyone is taught to wax teeth. I was taught to build the tooth up with the wax using minimal carving (except for grooves and contour). We basically apply the wax to the ridges and fill in the middle after forming a framework. I guess this is opposed to loading the prep with wax and then carving it down to shape the tooth. How do you guys learn to do them? Also which carving instruments (Hollenbach, PK-?) do you recommend for different structures (incisal edges, cusps, fossa, grooves, facial contour, embrasures)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Theres alot of ways. I started off with speed carving, then tried the whole build up technique. I start with the PKT's to add wax, then carvers, then burnishing type instruments. Make sure you get a waxing bulb and make them smooth and shiny(soap) before you turn them in(if you have practicals on your waxups).

We just started coronal wax-ups and I wanted to get different opinions on how everyone is taught to wax teeth. I was taught to build the tooth up with the wax using minimal carving (except for grooves and contour). We basically apply the wax to the ridges and fill in the middle after forming a framework. I guess this is opposed to loading the prep with wax and then carving it down to shape the tooth. How do you guys learn to do them? Also which carving instruments (Hollenbach, PK-?) do you recommend for different structures (incisal edges, cusps, fossa, grooves, facial contour, embrasures)?

Thanks
Hey buddy, I think you are referring to the DA lab with Dr. Exarcos!

Wax-ups require a lot of patience and a trained hand for you to get the job done well. Since you are a novice to this technique, my advice is to first understand the anatomical dimensions of the tooth you will be working on. Use your dentoform as a guide to help you visualize the contours/shape of the tooth you will wax-up from scratch (i.e. buccal/lingual/occulsal aspects). Then do it in steps using a very well heated wax (easier to work with), always leave the details (anatomy) of the tooth as the last step.

It's not easy to covey this in words, you just have to watch the instructor's demonstration at the beginning of the lab on your monitor, then take it from there. Don't worry too much about that portion of the course, it's not really a big part of your final grade. :thumbup:

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may have learned different terminology than you, but I think I get what you are saying. Really, any method that gets you to the best final product is fine. There are definitely people in my class who use the bulk wax and carve back methodology, and there are others who are a little more precise in adding wax.

I add fairly precisely so I have to do less carving. As for what I use to carve different structures...here are some general guidelines, but it is all preference:

Incisal Edges: Half Hollenback at two angles to the incisal edge
Posterior Pits: Acorn Carver, usually slightly warm to melt the wax a little, I'll also use it to move through the occlusal grooves and polish grooves when near finished
Fossa: Half Hollenback again...depends what fossa you are talking about I suppose.
Embrasures, contours, margins: Half Hollenback...have you noticed my preference yet?
Cusps: varies, but I probably use Tanner Carvers the most here.

Probably the best waxer in our class uses a huge array of different instruments than the rest of us...he was a certified lab tech for over a decade...and his instruments look like everything from scalpels to buck knives...so go figure.

i think what works best for those in my class was the what i like to call the "blob" technique...

1) with the peg in the typodont, add wax to all surfaces until the "blob" exceeds the dimensions of the tooth you're trying to wax.
2) now, use your carver to obtain the proper buccal-lingual/medial-distal dimensions... while doing so keep in mind embrasures and heights of contour.
4) once you have B, L, M, and D faces done to your liking, work on your occlusal anatomy. i like to heat an instrument other than a carver to manipulate the wax.

while waxing, constantly take the peg in and out of the typodont and check the margins, ridges, etc. also, use a piece of panty hose throughout the process to smooth your wax. it will make waxing much, much easier.

hope that helps,
jb!:)

i think what works best for those in my class was the what i like to call the "blob" technique...

1) with the peg in the typodont, add wax to all surfaces until the "blob" exceeds the dimensions of the tooth you're trying to wax.
2) now, use your carver to obtain the proper buccal-lingual/medial-distal dimensions... while doing so keep in mind embrasures and heights of contour.
4) once you have B, L, M, and D faces done to your liking, work on your occlusal anatomy. i like to heat an instrument other than a carver to manipulate the wax.

while waxing, constantly take the peg in and out of the typodont and check the margins, ridges, etc. also, use a piece of panty hose throughout the process to smooth your wax. it will make waxing much, much easier.

hope that helps,
jb!:)

Hey, sounds about like how I do it. One of the TAs for our course has taken dental lab tech courses and he says the pros definently build up. I carve though. He showed me his build up technique but it would take some free time to perfect it, something I am short on.

I started with the blob method (on #8). Worked well for me, but once we hit premolars and molars, I had to build up. I couldn't get the cusp heights right by the blob method.

When we just need to build up cusps, that's all we do. We have the tooth in the typodont and build up the appropriate # of cusps in the appropriate places. We build them up far enough so that the opposing teeth make contact with them. Then you know you are at the right height. From there we create the triangular ridges. Then the margins, etc. Height should be correct but when you have the typodont bite down, it should give you the appropriate heights in each place. If something doesn't make contact where it should, then you need to build it up more. After all is said and done, work on more precise anatomy.

Remember that sometimes you have to build up the entire crown and not just the occlusal surface. When you do that, make sure it contacts the adjacent teeth before you start building up the cusps. Otherwise you'll just have to go back.

I stick with PKT 1-4 plus the spatula. Worked so far.

Hey buddy, I think you are referring to the DA lab with Dr. Exarcos!

Yes, I am! I've heard about the grading, but I'm more concerned about my skills improving in this area for myself. I'm sure it will come in handy for next year.

jackbauer! said:
use a piece of panty hose throughout the process to smooth your wax.

I'll have to try this one out. Thanks everyone.

I like the stint method. Vacuum form a stint onto your typodont and then cut down the stint until it just covers a couple teeth. Put a little blob of wax on your die. Put a little lube in your stint and then fill your stint with wax. Heat the top of the blob and the wax at the bottom of your stint and then quickly press them together. Remove the stint. Trim a little bit where they join and you are done. Occlusal anatomy and occlusion are already perfect. This is more of a method for those of you who are not D1's as they will probably say it's cheating. With this method you can have a wax up perfect in like ten minutes.

putty impressions of preformed teeth work well ,...just like stent, except using putty ...get the impression ... melt wax and add with a glass dropper (also heated) ...put wax in and voila!

also ... put a blob of wax ... put some die lube on opposing tooth ... soften blob ... close the bite that way you get full contact ... then carve back wherever you don't want contacts and make up anatomy.

happy waxing :)

In our class, for the waxing practicals, the professors were always very strict about handing in clean, shiny finished products. The panty hose technique works well but at the very end right before you turn it in rub it with an armor all wipe (yeah the car wipes), that thing will shine like a piece of jewelry. Even the instructors were asking how we got it that shiny.

which armor all wipes do you use? protective, glass, leather....? =] does it matter?

I use the build up method then use mostly a burnishing type instrument (Red handled wax spatula) to carve down and adjust where I need to, and maybe a tanner carver or hollenback for big adjustments. Polishing with a lens polishing cloth.

I like the stint method. Vacuum form a stint onto your typodont and then cut down the stint until it just covers a couple teeth. Put a little blob of wax on your die. Put a little lube in your stint and then fill your stint with wax. Heat the top of the blob and the wax at the bottom of your stint and then quickly press them together. Remove the stint. Trim a little bit where they join and you are done. Occlusal anatomy and occlusion are already perfect. This is more of a method for those of you who are not D1's as they will probably say it's cheating. With this method you can have a wax up perfect in like ten minutes.

we were told this would get us expelled...