Way to find a good psychologist in my area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnicornDemon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm interested in psychotherapy but the current psychologist I'm seeing isn't really doing much analysis. She just sort of laughs at my jokes and mirrors what I say. I'm hoping to find an intelligent psychologist who can analyze my comments and provide perceptive feedback.

Are there are any websites or methods by which I can find a good psychologist? Perhaps one of reputed success or a strong educational background?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm interested in psychotherapy but the current psychologist I'm seeing isn't really doing much analysis. She just sort of laughs at my jokes and mirrors what I say. I'm hoping to find an intelligent psychologist who can analyze my comments and provide perceptive feedback.

Are there are any websites or methods by which I can find a good psychologist? Perhaps one of reputed success or a strong educational background?

If you want a Victorian couch and old guy to throw out an interpretation once in a while, i hope you are independently wealthy and live on one of the coasts. If not, you might have to settle for more up to date methods.

I would also add, that if this all you want/need (ie., you have no pathology, distressing symptoms, or proximal treatment goals), then your local bar-keep will suffice just fine. :D

Last edited:
What is the general location that you'd like to travel to for treatment? I honestly don't know of any good websites to reference so this is a good question for a transcontinental forum. Maybe try APA's website?

If you do want the leather-tufted chaise lounge (i.e. modern day Victorian couch) type-treatment, I can recommend some contacts w/ many reputable, evidence-based therapists in NYC (who are also analytically-trained or in-training who may accept payment on a sliding-scale, if you are not independently wealthy or have insurance).

And erg923, don't you start about "analysts who provide evidence-based treatments" as being oxymoronic. ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It would depend on what problem you are going to see a psychologist for. If it's something like panic disorder, anything other than CBT is just silly. If you want to find a good psychologist, I would first suggest finding one tailored to your specific problem.

If you don't feel challenged in therapy then it's not very useful.

You can do a search online (psychologytoday is the main website). Read through bios and select the ones that seem to be a good fit. Make sure you "interview" them on the phone and ask questions (e.g., what type of treatments he/she uses, do they measure outcomes). A good CBT therapist will challenge and restructure your thoughts in session so you may want to look for someone who specializes in CBT (although a good psychodynamic therapist should be doing the same, just different approaches).

If you want to find a certified CBT therapist. You can do a search on the academy of cognitive therapy website: http://www.academyofct.org/i4a/memb...rm.cfm?directory_id=5&pageid=3348&showTitle=0

you might enjoy a psychologist who uses Functional Analytic Psychotherapy, a 3rd wave of CBT. It uses analysis of verbal behavior in session.