Way to go - thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibalz

PUCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, just wanted to thank a certain school of "optometry" for their contribution (cheating scandal) that forced NBEO to come down on all of the schools with a vengeance. It was because of their thoughtful instructions to their students a few years ago (to create a question bank of memorized Boards questions so they could improve their dismal Part I pass rate) that many instructors will no longer give review sessions in their areas of expertise to students getting ready to take Part I in March.

You guys know which school I'm talking about. If not, do a thread search.

Next thing you know the rules will be so tight that KMK will be asked to cease & desist.

Just a thought - there are only so many ways to ask what the primary action of the superior rectus muscle is without a certain group claiming copyright infringement or that its outright cheating.

I mean uh-oh, if a school teaches you how to add 2+2, will the people that write the CPA exam disqualify you and say its cheating because it may have appeared on a past, present, or future exam?

Gimme a break, already. :slap: :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know, now we have to fly all the way to North Carolina (I'm at WesternU in CA) to take part III. Also, I find it interesting that whenever professors refer to the boards, they are always required to say something like "you'll need to know this for any big major optometric tests in your lifetime, not just for this class," but never refer to them specifically as National Boards.

Reminding students that certain concepts are important for boards is ok. Writing down questions is not. The point of the boards is to test and assess readiness for students to practice. If you just memorize 5000 questions and pass the boards, the whole system gets messed up. People will get through who are not prepared. Additionally to create the appropriate curve the test will be made more difficult to adjust but the students who don't have questions will have a harder time passing. The system will inevitably fail. For teachers at a school to do it is frankly crazy. That is just how it is in the medical world..I am sure it is the same in the optometry world.

I do wonder whatever happened to that class of students, the faculty responsible and whether or not there's anything on their records from that incidence.

As for Part III- certainly sucks in terms of expense to fly to North Carolina, but I think everything is much more standardized now (the risk of needing to file an incidence report is minimal, so the retake rate is lower), and I think that's an improvement.

Last edited:
NECO! Wow. Not only is it an expensive school but they were involved in a cheating scandal. Their school accreditation should be taken away!

Reminding students that certain concepts are important for boards is ok. Writing down questions is not. The point of the boards is to test and assess readiness for students to practice. If you just memorize 5000 questions and pass the boards, the whole system gets messed up. People will get through who are not prepared. Additionally to create the appropriate curve the test will be made more difficult to adjust but the students who don't have questions will have a harder time passing. The system will inevitably fail. For teachers at a school to do it is frankly crazy. That is just how it is in the medical world..I am sure it is the same in the optometry world.

But in the medical world there are prep classes (Kaplan, The Princeton Review) designed to help you study for the USMLE and COMLEX, which include question banks and practice tests.