Wayne or Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maestro1625

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you should do anything possible to get out of michigan because of the bad weather, declining economy, and DMC problems.

good luck at jefferson:luck:

i agree...jefferson would be better for you

Withdraw and apply to FL schools next year... Wait thats a terrible idea, what is the cost difference between in-state at Wayne and Jeff.?

about 16k a year.

Thats a pretty decent chunk of change, if it were me I'd be at Wayne. The cost savings is pretty large and as far as "prestige" they are not in different leagues in my mind. I think the DMC problems will resolve themself, both parties need the other. As for the problems with MI I wouldn't be lining up to work there but who says you have to, leave for residency and do it with about $70K extra in your pocket.

Thats a pretty decent chunk of change, if it were me I'd be at Wayne. The cost savings is pretty large and as far as "prestige" they are not in different leagues in my mind. I think the DMC problems will resolve themself, both parties need the other. As for the problems with MI I wouldn't be lining up to work there but who says you have to, leave for residency and do it with about $70K extra in your pocket.

but i mean, with the declining economy, everything in southeast michigan looks very depressive to study. plus there's the crime and danger in detroit.

The OP will also be more well-rounded by having experience at jefferson that is unique based on a different location.

Maestro1625:

I go to Jeff, but I know nothing about Wayne State - didn't apply there, didn't think about going there, haven't even been to Detroit. But there are questions that I think are also important to consider:

1) Are tests graded on a curve? If they are, would that bother you?

2) What resources are available to the students. In other words: are the lectures recorded? Do they provide preprinted notes? What kind of extracurricular activities are there, and how are they structured?

3) Are the administrators and course coordinators really good about making announcements about upcoming mandatory stuff? Are they on top of things, and are the rules/guidelines/etc made clear?

4) Do the administrators and course coordinators listen to students? Do students feel like they can speak up in response to things that they genuinely find upsetting?

5) How much of the classes are lecture-based or PBL? Is it organs-systems based, or based on the block system? Which matters more to you?

To put my own biases out on the table: I like the administration at Jeff. I feel like, based on what I've heard from other schools, I got pretty lucky. (I'm sure that some of my classmates would disagree, but, the way I see it, you can't please everyone all the time.) I have a good relationship with my student dean, and definitely trust her. I think that the amount of transparency that Dean Nasca strives to achieve with the students is really admirable, and the amount of close exposure we get to the "higher-ups" is striking. No, I can't barge into Dean Nasca's office whenever I want, but he teaches 1st and 2nd year renal physiology - I mean, actually TEACHES it. (He's a nephrologist, so he actually does know stuff about renal physiology - he's not just trying to look impressive.) Dr. Brucker, who used to be the president of our university, teaches 1st year clinical skills sessions - you're in a group of ~15 students, sitting in a classroom with the former president of the university, learning how to use blood pressure cuffs. The funny thing about that is - he never announced that he was president of Jefferson. I only figured it out when I walked out of the classroom at the end of the session and saw his portrait in the lobby of the building.

I also really like the course coordinators, and feel like they listen to our input. A lot of them are amazingly modest people who seem to have no ego at all - that makes for a comfortable atmosphere. Since many of the course coordinators are also practicing physicians, I feel like they serve the double role of teacher and role model. They're great role models, and, as cheesy as it sounds, I think it's crucial to have good role models as a 1st and 2nd year student - it keeps you motivated. (Sometimes, though, it's easy to get carried away - I almost said to one of the doctors that I really admire, "I want to be just like you when I grow up!" Fortunately I stopped myself or else total humiliation would have ensued.)

Honestly, though, to get a complete picture, you have to talk to other Jeff students and Wayne students as well. This is just my view.

Plus - I'll be honest, the extra cost is a lot of money. For some people, that can be a huge factor. Furthermore, if a big group of your friends are going to WSU, that can be a major factor too. I'll admit, it can be tempting to know that you'll have your own social network before starting med school. [For the record, though, most people come to Jeff without knowing a single one of their future classmates. (The exception is, of course, the PSU 6-year program kids.) And these people make friends and adjust just fine.] And it can be hard to think that, by going to Jeff, you'll probably grow apart from them - when you meet up again, they'll have their own private in-jokes about professors and classes and things like that, which you won't understand because you don't attend that school. That can be rough. It's a very, very tough decision, but, hopefully, I've given you some more concrete, objective stuff to think about. Feel free to PM with more questions, and good luck!

So the good, the bad, and the other info.

Wayne:
Good:
Lower tuition
going to school with some close friends from undergrad
already know who'd I'd live with if going there
already know the area well

Bad:
Unstable DMC situation
Not sure if I can take four more years in Michigan
Unstable economy

Jeff:
Good:
a sweet location
a bit better rep than Wayne
leaving Michigan

Bad:
not knowing anyone when going there.

The "unstable economy" can be a double-edged sword for you as a medical student. Bad because poor economic conditions entail higher rates of crime. Good for someone training at hospitals that treat poor people (the DMC). People w/o health insurance are far less likely to object to the involvement of a medical student (or intern or resident) in their care.

I would go to Jeff since it's much better than Wayne ... Atleast that's what I heard from some of my out-of-state buddies

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote Jefferson!

Wayne State only because I'll be a Wayne girl when I finish my undergrad.. yay for BSMD programs =)

but i mean, with the declining economy, everything in southeast michigan looks very depressive to study. plus there's the crime and danger in detroit.

The OP will also be more well-rounded by having experience at jefferson that is unique based on a different location.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in another thread you kept asking about ppls "stats" that got interviewed/accepted at Wayne or something along those lines, or asking about the waitlist and possible movement...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in another thread you kept asking about ppls "stats" that got interviewed/accepted at Wayne or something along those lines, or asking about the waitlist and possible movement...

you're correct. however, wayne was my only interview so i don't have any choices.

Wayne:
Good:
Lower tuition

Bad:
Unstable DMC situation
Unstable economy

Jeff:
Good:
a sweet location
leaving Michigan

Bad:

something to note is that my family is moving out of Michigan to Florida this summer so closeness to home is no longer a factor in my decision.

I am not sure if jeffs good enough school to make up 16K per year difference...certainly go to second look weekends...

That's so funny that you are from MI and your parents are moving to Florida. I'm also from Michigan and my parents just moved down to Florida this year. I also got into Jeff and Wayne, but in the end, I think I'm going to go to the school that's most exciting to me, which is Einstein.

Yeah, it's A LOT more expensive to go out of state, but throughout the course of your life, I think the payoff is greater to go to the place where you really want to go. So if I were you, I'd pick Jefferson since I liked the school more. You won't go wrong though, if you do decide on Wayne, because that's a good school too. Good luck!

What are you crazy? Of course Jeff.

Wayne:
Good:
Lower tuition

Bad:
Unstable DMC situation
Unstable economy

Jeff:
Good:
a sweet location
leaving Michigan

Bad:

something to note is that my family is moving out of Michigan to Florida this summer so closeness to home is no longer a factor in my decision.

I'm noticing some strong east coast bias here... :rolleyes: You've been quite a dick on these boards so I'm apprehensive in trying to convince you to stay... but 14k a year ? and if I remember correctly from your mdapps you have the stats to get money from Wayne... To me it's a no brainer.

Back to what smq123 said about Jefferson administration. If it's really that great, then they are blessed. Wayne people (on these boards) bitch and whine about things concerning administrative stuff all the time...

I've heard nothing but great things about Wayne from people who graduated from there or are now just leaving (I'm a bit late starting med school, so those were my "peers"). But you seem to be REALLY adamant about leaving michigan, and if you truly hate it here/there, don't stay. Although you can match anywhere (location wise) out of any med school, Wayne students stay in state or at least in the midwest. If you want to practice on the east coast then Jefferson might be a better choice... I'm sure you thought of this before, you're a smart guy

Has your friend heard back from Jeff? If I were able to go to school with my friends and save 16K, I know i'd probably do that. But if your friends are coming out to the east coast with you, why not?

Has your friend heard back from Jeff? If I were able to go to school with my friends and save 16K, I know i'd probably do that. But if your friends are coming out to the east coast with you, why not?

the only other one of my friends who applied there turned down her interview (for the last possible interview day). Honestly, I saw myself staying in the midwest when this whole application process started, but priorities change.