Wayne State BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doct4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I realized there wasn't a thread for this years fall cycle. I got the initial acceptance letter about a month ago. It did not state date of orientation or anything like that. I also got a phone call from the admission committe the next day to congratulate me and she said she will be sending out an email to everyone addressing orientation dates and such things.
She also told me not to register for classes until orientation.

I was wondering if anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

got my acceptance but other than that I haven't received any other information. i didn't even get a call to congratulate haha

Can you please tell me how long it took after submitting your application to receive a decision?
Also, I'm applying with 3.23 gpa and 20AA 21TS DAT with letters of rec from biochemistry, cell biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry professors. Will this be enough for acceptance? I just finished a 30 credit postbac with 4.0 gpa so I really need this...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please tell me how long it took after submitting your application to receive a decision?
Also, I'm applying with 3.23 gpa and 20AA 21TS DAT with letters of rec from biochemistry, cell biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry professors. Will this be enough for acceptance? I just finished a 30 credit postbac with 4.0 gpa so I really need this...

I submitted mine around November and got my acceptance letter on April 25th! i had also taken the DAT, my scores were AA 19 and TS 22 (reading killed my score lol) GPA 3.2.. i would say you should be hearing back soon :) i know one of my friends is still waiting from them. i heard they do a second round of acceptances in July. not sure though. Good luck!

got my acceptance but other than that I haven't received any other information. i didn't even get a call to congratulate haha

i looked at older forms and it seemed like they indicated the date of the orientation in their acceptance letters lol. She did tell me when she called that they were working on a date and it would be a week or so before class start- which kind of sucks cause she said not to register for class till then. :/

Thank you for the info!

I submitted mine around November and got my acceptance letter on April 25th! i had also taken the DAT, my scores were AA 19 and TS 22 (reading killed my score lol) GPA 3.2.. i would say you should be hearing back soon :) i know one of my friends is still waiting from them. i heard they do a second round of acceptances in July. not sure though. Good luck!

I had my app completed 05/12.. When I called back then, the lady told me they might review the app the week after..(i.e. this week) Hopefully we'll hear soon.. I also have similar stats gpa 3.21 with DAT AA 22 TS 21. Submitted letters I used for dental school..

I had my app completed 05/12.. When I called back then, the lady told me they might review the app the week after..(i.e. this week) Hopefully we'll hear soon.. I also have similar stats gpa 3.21 with DAT AA 22 TS 21. Submitted letters I used for dental school..
so did i! i used the letters for dental school, as well as my personal statement.

I just found out that I got in today! I got an e-mail saying that there was a comment added to my application, I didn't get any letter or a call from anyone either :/
Called their office just to make sure I got in because I wasn't sure after reading these comments. Anyone else hear back?

I finished my app on 5/11 so anyone who applied around then should hear back soon.

I read the other threads about info on the success of the program. Does anyone have any success stories to share? I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs but since I'm from SE Michigan, this looks like a pretty solid bet for me.

I just found out that I got in today! I got an e-mail saying that there was a comment added to my application, I didn't get any letter or a call from anyone either :/
Called their office just to make sure I got in because I wasn't sure after reading these comments. Anyone else hear back?

I finished my app on 5/11 so anyone who applied around then should hear back soon.

I read the other threads about info on the success of the program. Does anyone have any success stories to share? I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs but since I'm from SE Michigan, this looks like a pretty solid bet for me.

yes, i got that email too and i received the letter either the same day or a few days after.
and then received the phone call a few days after that too lol.

congratssss!!!

I just got my acceptance letter today as well. Anyone know what our next step is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called yesterday. Brenda said she'll be sending out an email about the orientation which will be the last week of August

that's kind of inconvenient for those of us who have work and need to work our schedules accordingly. It will be such a short notice. :eyebrow:

The curriculum is posted on their website.. Some classes are available only in the Fall. I picked those ones and the ones that don't have any prereqs.. Lecture times may change but highly unlikely.. (from my undergrad classes at wayne)...

Going through the forums, I noticed that most people take BMB 7010 (Biochem) and PSL 7010 (Physiology)... Remember that you need to need to 4 CORE courses (i.e. 4 classes with different 3-letter codes). All classes start on 08/27 and end 12/16.. Orientation is probably a week before.. Those are the classes:

BMB 7010 - General Biochemistry
T Th 01:00PM - 03:00PM

MBG 7010 - Molecular Biology and Genetics
W F 01:00PM - 02:50PM

BIO 6000 - Molecular Cell Biology I (May require instructor approval)
MWF 10:40AM - 11:35AM

PHC 6500 - Drugs and the Addictive Process
Th 05:00PM - 08:00PM

PHC 7410 - Principles of Toxicology
MWF 10:00AM - 11:00AM

PSL 7010 - Basic Graduate Physiology
MWF 08:00AM - 08:50AM (Except M till 09:50AM)

The curriculum is posted on their website.. Some classes are available only in the Fall. I picked those ones and the ones that don't have any prereqs.. Lecture times may change but highly unlikely.. (from my undergrad classes at wayne)...

Going through the forums, I noticed that most people take BMB 7010 (Biochem) and PSL 7010 (Physiology)... Remember that you need to need to 4 CORE courses (i.e. 4 classes with different 3-letter codes). All classes start on 08/27 and end 12/16.. Orientation is probably a week before.. Those are the classes:

BMB 7010 - General Biochemistry
T Th 01:00PM - 03:00PM

MBG 7010 - Molecular Biology and Genetics
W F 01:00PM - 02:50PM

BIO 6000 - Molecular Cell Biology I (May require instructor approval)
MWF 10:40AM - 11:35AM

PHC 6500 - Drugs and the Addictive Process
Th 05:00PM - 08:00PM

PHC 7410 - Principles of Toxicology
MWF 10:00AM - 11:00AM

PSL 7010 - Basic Graduate Physiology
MWF 08:00AM - 08:50AM (Except M till 09:50AM)

But, when i called- she instructed me to not sign up for any class since the curriculum posted online hasn't been updated and some of the classes have been changed. Thats why they have been saying to wait and register for class at orientation.

Hey all!

Was a former BMS student. Just today got accepted into Wayne State's Medical School formally!!!

Happy to answer any questions you guys have about the program. Best of luck!

Hey all!

Was a former BMS student. Just today got accepted into Wayne State's Medical School formally!!!

CONGRATSSS!! yes i have a few questions.
1- when did you take your mcat?
2- how many credits did you finish at BMS?
3- was being in the program helpful into getting into waynes medical school?

CONGRATSSS!! yes i have a few questions.
1- when did you take your mcat?
2- how many credits did you finish at BMS?
3- was being in the program helpful into getting into waynes medical school?

1. Took my MCAT the summer before I started the BMS program.

2. I just completed the BMS program (36 credits I believe?) but I took 22 credits in the program before I applied to medical schools last summer. (You need at least 20 BMS credits to apply to med schools).

3. No question about it. I can definitely say I got in because I did the BMS program.

I know that I am not supposed to enroll for classes until orientation, but I am nervous the classes will fill up before then. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I know that I am not supposed to enroll for classes until orientation, but I am nervous the classes will fill up before then. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I was in the same position as you. Trust me, you don't need to worry. None of the classes will fill up. They tell you to wait to enroll on purpose.

I just got the official email from Brenda for Orientation.
are we supposed to RSVP our spot in the class now or wait until the "official" email *You should understand that formal admission to the Wayne State University Graduate School is absolutely required for matriculation into the BMS Program.*

Why so many official emails? LOL o_O

I just got the official email from Brenda for Orientation.
are we supposed to RSVP our spot in the class now or wait until the "official" email *You should understand that formal admission to the Wayne State University Graduate School is absolutely required for matriculation into the BMS Program.*

Why so many official emails? LOL o_O

Got the same email today, i'm not sure what to do either.. This is probably when we need to rsvp our decision before they send you (or not) all the required documents based on whether we accept or decline...

i emailed Brenda and accepted the offer and reserved a spot at orientation :)

YAYAYAY, i felt like i was the only one in that class for a little haha. cant wait to meet everyone :):p:happy::soexcited::clap:

Likewise! I can tell the future is bright for all of us :)

I have finished my application last Wed, June 4th for entering 2014 Fall semester.

AGPA 3,6 SGPA 3.6
AA 20 TS 22 but RC15 lol

My personal statement is weak. Planning on re-sendin my updated personal statement the end of this weekend.

Do you think I have a change to get accepted?

I have finished my application last Wed, June 4th for entering 2014 Fall semester.

AGPA 3,6 SGPA 3.6
AA 20 TS 22 but RC15 lol

My personal statement is weak. Planning on re-sendin my updated personal statement the end of this weekend.

With that GPA and DAT, I think you have a great shot. I'm pretty sure you'll get in.

Hey all!

!! That's awesome news for you and for everyone that's choosing to do this program!

I have a couple questions as well.

1) How many kids from your class got into medical school/dental school/whatever grad school they were trying to get into? Not just Wayne State
2) From doing research about other programs, this isn't like the traditional SMP that we see from EVMS or UCinci. Obviously it worked for you, but would you still recommend this program over any of those other SMPs?
3) What were your stats before joining the BMS program, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance. Congratulations! That's the dream right there.

!! That's awesome news for you and for everyone that's choosing to do this program!

I have a couple questions as well.

1) How many kids from your class got into medical school/dental school/whatever grad school they were trying to get into? Not just Wayne State
2) From doing research about other programs, this isn't like the traditional SMP that we see from EVMS or UCinci. Obviously it worked for you, but would you still recommend this program over any of those other SMPs?
3) What were your stats before joining the BMS program, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance. Congratulations! That's the dream right there.

-This I honestly don't know, and I'll tell you that I really tried to gather as much info on this as I could in the last couple of years. Basically, about 33% of those applying to medical school get into Wayne State's medical school. A lower % get into other schools - but nobody knows the exact number because not all the BMS students report back to the administration, unfortunately.

-Yes, you're right in the sense that it isn't a TRUE SMP, like Georgetown's or EVMS'. The basic difference is that they take courses WITH the medical students (i.e. concurrently, in the same rooms). On the other hand, the BMS students at Wayne are taught by the same faculty that teach the medical students, but are not enrolled in the same M1 classes. In other words, they are different graduate level courses with very, very similar material to that being taught to medical students. The only difference (besides for the difficulty) is that you are 'competing' with each other, instead of competing with the M1 students at Wayne. Yes, the true SMP's in all honesty are probably a bit better if you are trying to get into medical school than Wayne's BMS program. However, I absolutely loved the BMS program, the professors, and the material being taught, and liked that I was learning the same stuff but not competing with M1s. I still got into medical school, so all I can say is I did my best and it worked for me.

-Went to University of Michigan, majored in a hard-science. cGPA was a 3.2 and sGPA was a 2.9 (I had an upward trend, however). MCAT was a 31

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!

I have a question on the length of the program. I know full time is only around 8 credits, but is it normal for people to finish the program in one year? I really want to simulate the course load of a medical schoool

thanks! :cat:

AGPA 3,6 SGPA 3.6
AA 20 TS 22 but RC15 lol

I think that you have a high chance to get accepted into the program. I dont know about this cycle though, cause i have a few friends who are on the waitlist- so I dont know if they are pulling people out of the waiting list and enrolling them in the class, or that they are accepting new applicants.

BUT, you can still apply for the winter cycle, i think that deadline sometime in October :)
PS: i hate RC lol thats what caused all of my denials to dental school :(

AGPA 3,6 SGPA 3.6
AA 20 TS 22 but RC15 lol

Your stats are good, but you are applying after the deadline. Why are you applying to a "SMP-like" program with a 3.6/3.6 for dental school?

I have a question on the length of the program. I know full time is only around 8 credits, but is it normal for people to finish the program in one year? I really want to simulate the course load of a medical schoool

thanks! :cat:

To finish the program, you need 34 credits I believe, plus the "BMS essay". It is impossible to fully complete the program in 1 year. However, if you have taken at least 20 credits of BMS coursework, you can apply to medical schools through AMCAS even though you'd still be in the process of completing the program.

This is exactly what I did. I took 12 credits Fall semester and 10 credits Winter semester. I then applied to medical schools, and then proceeded to finish my program during the application cycle year.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions :)

What is the tuition finishing this program for instate students?

Does anyone know if there is a FB group for our class started yet? I know some people that are looking for roommates and it would probably be easier to pass along information?

make one!!! i will join :) i want to see faces before our orientation that way we can kindaaaa "bond" haha

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just created a FB group for our class. Just search "Wayne State BMS 2014-2015" on FB and ask to join the group! I thought it would be nice to "meet" people before we start.

Hey guys! I just created a FB group for our class. Just search "Wayne State BMS 2014-2015" on FB and ask to join the group! I thought it would be nice to "meet" people before we start.

cant find it. post the link here.

To finish the program, you need 34 credits I believe, plus the "BMS essay". It is impossible to fully complete the program in 1 year. However, if you have taken at least 20 credits of BMS coursework, you can apply to medical schools through AMCAS even though you'd still be in the process of completing the program.

This is exactly what I did. I took 12 credits Fall semester and 10 credits Winter semester. I then applied to medical schools, and then proceeded to finish my program during the application cycle year.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions :)

Which classes did you take Fall semester? Biochem/phys I presume, and..?

Which classes did you take Fall semester? Biochem/phys I presume, and..?

Yep. Biochemistry and Physiology I, which amounted to 8 credits. For the remaining 4, I actually took a graduate-level physics class; it was one of the possible 'elective' courses that one could take, so I decided to go for it.

My advice would be to take physiology and biochemistry, and, only if you feel prepared to do it, take an elective for 2-4 credits. Just find one that interests you and make sure it's okay with the department.

Yep. Biochemistry and Physiology I, which amounted to 8 credits. For the remaining 4, I actually took a graduate-level physics class; it was one of the possible 'elective' courses that one could take, so I decided to go for it.

My advice would be to take physiology and biochemistry, and, only if you feel prepared to do it, take an elective for 2-4 credits. Just find one that interests you and make sure it's okay with the department.

I am about to register classes now.
How was your time management for taking the Biochem and Physiology I? Do you think you could handle studying the courses and DAT and going for an interview in a fall semester?
The reason why I am asking this is because I am planning on following with the schedule.

1) Does anyone know the "Lafayette apartment" in the detroit downtown?
2) What are other apartments safe and around under $600 rates?

Last edited:
Your stats are good, but you are applying after the deadline. Why are you applying to a "SMP-like" program with a 3.6/3.6 for dental school?

Thanks for your kind word. I got accepted last week.
What is "SMP-like program?"
The reason why I am thinking of taking this program is because UDM recommended to re-applicants to consider start this program.
However, once I get accepted from UDM, i would withdraw my spot.

Thanks,

Thanks for your kind word. I got accepted last week.
What is "SMP-like program?"
The reason why I am thinking of taking this program is because UDM recommended to re-applicants to consider start this program.
However, once I get accepted from UDM, i would withdraw my spot.

Thanks,

Well usually people take these programs to bolster their academic credentials. You're above the average matriculant at UDM in both GPA/DAT so it seems like your academic credentials arn't what hurt you. If you applied to dental schools broadly, did you have success elsewhere, or are you tied to UDM for personal reasons?

SMP = special masters programs, usually for the purposes of these forums they're programs where you take medical/dental school courses with the medical/dental class and get graded/ranked against them to demonstrate that you're capable of succeeding in professional school, usually in an attempt to mitigate a sub-par ugpa.

Okay so I am applying for this term, and I am a little nervous. Mainly cause my GPA. I am at a 2.94 cGPA and about the same area far my sGPA. I am taking the GRE exam this Wednesday, june 25. I have 3 very strong letters of recommendation, as well as a solid statement of purpose. Brenda told me, in an appointment I had with her back in February, that the average GRE score of accepted applicants is in the 57th percentile, with +/- 17. But since I have a slightly lower than average GPA, I am shooting for a higher score. Anyone have an idea with regards to the GRE and anyone getting accepted? I bit nervous to take the exam and to apply.
Thanks.

Okay so I am applying for this term, and I am a little nervous. Mainly cause my GPA. I am at a 2.94 cGPA and about the same area far my sGPA. I am taking the GRE exam this Wednesday, june 25. I have 3 very strong letters of recommendation, as well as a solid statement of purpose. Brenda told me, in an appointment I had with her back in February, that the average GRE score of accepted applicants is in the 57th percentile, with +/- 17. But since I have a slightly lower than average GPA, I am shooting for a higher score. Anyone have an idea with regards to the GRE and anyone getting accepted? I bit nervous to take the exam and to apply.
Thanks.

I took the GRE to apply here (I took the MCAT in April and wanted to apply before then). I didn't think it was awful, the hardest part was math since my last class was calc 2 I took freshman year of college and I took the GRE fall of my senior year. You find out how you do directly after you take the test, so you can decide then if you need to revamp your study habits and retake it.

I didn't know about the range when I applied, but I scored outside of it on the upper range and got accepted after a few weeks of applying. But if you get a decent score and can explain your grades, I'm sure you will be fine. Since this is a program to improve stats before going to med school, they may not be as stringent on GPA and test scores (however this is just my best guess)

I took the GRE to apply here (I took the MCAT in April and wanted to apply before then). I didn't think it was awful, the hardest part was math since my last class was calc 2 I took freshman year of college and I took the GRE fall of my senior year. You find out how you do directly after you take the test, so you can decide then if you need to revamp your study habits and retake it.

I didn't know about the range when I applied, but I scored outside of it on the upper range and got accepted after a few weeks of applying. But if you get a decent score and can explain your grades, I'm sure you will be fine. Since this is a program to improve stats before going to med school, they may not be as stringent on GPA and test scores (however this is just my best guess)

Thanks for the reply. My weak point is all the vocab, having a lot of trouble with that, I'm the opposite, math is really strong point. Yeah I did explain why my grades aren't in the stellar side. Taking the exam 2mrw so we'll see how it goes. I feel ready. I'll report back soon after my application is completed. :)