Wayne State pharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIpharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading posts and haven't heard anything about Wayne State. I'm applying to Wayne and a few others now, and have a 3.77 overall, 3.7 sci/math. I take the pcat in october. I've got tons of extracurric - pharm exp, volunteer, on campus etc. The blackmark might be a B- i got in precalc- should i retake that? What do you guys think my chances are since you have more experience applying than me?

Members don't see this ad.

Cool I'm in MI too except I'll be starting my first year of pre-pharm in the fall. I'm going to Ferris though, and if I meet all the requirements I'll have a guaranteed seat in their college of pharmacy.

I don't know much about being excepted into pharmacy colleges since I really haven't been doing any research on any but you seem like you have above average GPA's and a strong background in extracurricular activities, just shoot for like a 90 on the PCAT, probably no lower than an 80, and you'll do fine. Also, look into whether or not you'll be allowed to retake pre-calc, because some schools count that against you or they won't accept any credit at all if you retake a course.

thx keith, but im looking for input from ppl who have applied, are applying or have gotten in. at wayne, i know you can retake a course and have only the new grade count (pharmcas just avg's the two grade anyways).

ps - i like ferris' guarenteed admissions deal, they just made that rule official last year. i was originally enrolled in ferris with the deans scholarship and all, but decided to go to wayne not knowing that the rule would be official. i wish i would have stayed at ferris! :( oh well - ill just have to get in the hard way. you should like ferris, ive heard its alot of fun (more than wayne anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are probably in. I am applying there for 08. Have you attended their informatin meeting yet? I went back in May and it really gave me hope. I think I got this right, are you already a student at Wayne? If you are your chances are even better. I was attending Macomb community college but transfered to Wayne and I start in the fall. Even though the community college is waay cheaper I am going to finish my pre-reqs at Wayne because they answered me not flat out but clear enough for me that they accept most of thier students from Wayne. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They said a lot of people apply w/o even having any e/c's! They don't get in obviously ,so I figure good the more people with crappy applications the better mine will look. I do think you should relax. Two people from the admissions board gave the meeting and allowed many questions, they ony look at pre-req gpa and pre-calc is not one of them. Good luck.

MIpharm said:
I've been reading posts and haven't heard anything about Wayne State. I'm applying to Wayne and a few others now, and have a 3.77 overall, 3.7 sci/math. I take the pcat in october. I've got tons of extracurric - pharm exp, volunteer, on campus etc. The blackmark might be a B- i got in precalc- should i retake that? What do you guys think my chances are since you have more experience applying than me?

excellent gpa you have there.......

jregan said:
I think you are probably in. I am applying there for 08. Have you attended their informatin meeting yet? I went back in May and it really gave me hope. I think I got this right, are you already a student at Wayne? If you are your chances are even better. I was attending Macomb community college but transfered to Wayne and I start in the fall. Even though the community college is waay cheaper I am going to finish my pre-reqs at Wayne because they answered me not flat out but clear enough for me that they accept most of thier students from Wayne. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They said a lot of people apply w/o even having any e/c's! They don't get in obviously ,so I figure good the more people with crappy applications the better mine will look. I do think you should relax. Two people from the admissions board gave the meeting and allowed many questions, they ony look at pre-req gpa and pre-calc is not one of them. Good luck.

I currently go to pharm school at Wayne, and the bit about accepting most of the students from Wayne's undergrad is NOT true. The rumors about WSU students having priority have been going around for years, but there is not a whole lot to the rumors. Sure, they accept WSU students, but they accept people from all sorts of schools, so you don't really have an advantage if you are a WSU student. I did my science prereqs at MCC and got in. It's basically gonna come down to your GPA and PCAT.