Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cschellh

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone else here is going to the Wayne interview on Jan 14th?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from them. By the way, when did you apply to Wayne?

I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from them. By the way, when did you apply to Wayne?

Hey! I applied in September I think.. but I took the Oct pcat and the results came in November-ish to pharmcas.

My bf and friend also got an interview to Wayne for the same day.... so I think that it is the first interview day from what I hear.. so hopefully you'll hear from them soom! =) What are your stats???

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmcas gpa: 3.43
pcat: 69
Very good EC's and volunteer work

I applied on Aug 25th.

pharmcas gpa: 3.43
pcat: 69
Very good EC's and volunteer work

I applied on Aug 25th.

Well those sound pretty good to me! My gpa is 3.67 & pcat 64.. tons of EC's and volunteering as well..

So you sound pretty good I think! =)

yup Jan 14th is the first day they start interviewing...there's 6 more days lined up as well so far that's scheduled til Feb 25th

yup Jan 14th is the first day they start interviewing...there's 6 more days lined up as well so far that's scheduled til Feb 25th

Thanks for the confirmation! =) Student there?? :) Any tips?

I also have an interview on the 14th, but I haven't heard anything back since I confirmed a time.

I also have an interview on the 14th, but I haven't heard anything back since I confirmed a time.

Me either? Probably soon.. once the semester starts back up! =)

I just received the interview letter and I am not sure if I want to do the supplement application that they have at the bottom of the e-mail. I was just wondering if other people were going to do it.

Hi,

I applied to WSU as an OOS student (canada) and was complete beginning of September. I havent heard back from wayne.... i didnt send in my transcript for fall 09 since i was waiting for all of my marks.

Am I disqualified? I am sending my transcript by the end of the week. I sent them one in the summer as well as one in october so they would be able to see my fall courses.

I'm really nervous :scared:

Last edited:
They just let me know today...Jan. 20 :faints:

Supplemental application? The email I got asked for a resume.

They just let me know today...Jan. 20 :faints:

Supplemental application? The email I got asked for a resume.

You will receive another email a few days before the interview with a link for the supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an interview invite today for Jan 20 but I'm so puzzled about whether I should go. I've already been accepted but this is the first public school that invites me for interview. The thing is I already took Human Physiology at a community college. I didn't know that they require to take the class at a 4 year institution until after I applied. Now, I don't know if they will waive it for me. If not, I'm worried that I won't be able to take these classes before the program starts. Anyway, does any of you here know how long after the interview that they will send out the decision? Also, if I am out of state, will my status be changed after one year?

have any international applicants received an interview?

Anyway, does any of you here know how long after the interview that they will send out the decision?

According to Pharmcas, Acceptance Letters are mailed to regular applicants: between February 15 – April 15, 2010. I've heard of people getting them March of last year.

You can ask your questions to the school directly and get a real answer.

Gratz on all those who made it to the interviews. How did it go? Any surprises?

Hey! I am just wondering how the Wayne State interview went for those who had one on the 14th? I heard there is an essay question - how was that?
Thanks

Hey! I am just wondering how the Wayne State interview went for those who had one on the 14th? I heard there is an essay question - how was that?
Thanks

The interview went great. You first are taken to a conference room where there were several Pharmacy students and they were all super nice. We actually played some card games while waiting for other people to get there. They were all just trying to ease our nerves. We didn't really see much on the tour, but that was okay. After the tour we had the writing sample which you do on the computer. I think all of the questions that they use are pretty straight forward and they are just seeing how you respond to them and also to make sure you can use proper grammer. After that you have the interview which is two on one. My interview went very well. It was my second one and I could tell I was much less nervous for this one. My only tip is to act yourself and try to relax the best you can, so just try to talk slow and calmly. Once the interview is done you meet with an advisor to see if you have any prereq work left to complete. The whole thing was about 2 hours long. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
As I have gotten a few PMs from people.. I figured it best to just respond on here. As the above poster has already said..

Went in for the interview and got there about 15 minutes early.... there were 3 students already enrolled in the program -- a P1 & two P3's. They were kind of there to ease people I think and to give you a chance to ask questions from current students and sign you in.

Then given a tour by one of the P3's.. nothing too special here. Lots of doors locked... missed much of the pharmacy building due to locked doors (which I think should have been taken care of beforehand... but whatever =P) We had 4 interviewees.. and 1 tour guide

Then writing sample... general ethical question. Got to type it out on microsoft word and printed out 2 copies for the adcoms. Given 30 minutes.. not too bad I thought.

Then taken to the interview rooms. We each got a set of interviewers. . . mine were 2 faculty members from the college. They were both very nice and did their best to not make me intimidated I think. Lasted maybe a 1/2 hour.. can't say for sure. Just general ?'s... why pharm? why wayne? tell me about your extracurriculars?

Then you meet w/ an advisor and they tell you about any prereqs you need to complete still.

Not bad! I was actually more impressed with the college of pharmacy than I thought I would be. I went to Wayne for a semester for undergrad and I wasn't that impressed.. but the college of pharm was pretty impressive! =)

All-in-all, I would say it wasn't too stressful of a day..they weren't trying to interrogate you or intimidate you...

Not as relaxed as some of my interviews.. but definitely not as stressful as others =) Pretty standard.

Good luck!! =) I forgot to ask when we would find out about our status... so if anyone knows that please let me know! :cool:

I asked when we could possibly find out and one of my interviewers said earliest would be around 2 weeks but possibly all the way into March.

does anyone one what the remaining interview dates are for wayne state?

They spots keep filling up so my dates are being pushed back. Seems like a free for all. The next open ones are on the 26th and Feb. 1.

I am so anxious to hear back. I hope we hear sooner than later:xf:

Hey guys I had the interview on jan 20. everyone was nice but for some reason one of the interviewers started to grill me about everything. He asked (no lie) 15 question and when i answered one he came back with another question right after that :mad:. I wish i could say he asked the basic question, but no this guy is your worst nightmare when it comes to interviews. To be fair i am a non-traditional student my gpa is 3.61 and Pcat comp 77 ( chem 98,bio 84) i managed a place but never volunteered or shadow a pharmacist so whatever. Honestly im married and have a kid and really would like to stay here but screw Wayne State I not your DOG!! sorry im venting here but still what fing luck do i have lol:D

Aww.. sorry to hear it =( It is awful when you have an interviewer like that... really ruins the experience. I had an interview like that too (in another state)... it was rough. Who were your interviewers?

Did you apply @ Ferris & U of M??

wayne was the only school in michigan i applied to, every other school I applied to are in other states. Right now I hate Wayne but if I get in lol I love wayne :D

Hey guys I had the interview on jan 20. everyone was nice but for some reason one of the interviewers started to grill me about everything. He asked (no lie) 15 question and when i answered one he came back with another question right after that :mad:. I wish i could say he asked the basic question, but no this guy is your worst nightmare when it comes to interviews. To be fair i am a non-traditional student my gpa is 3.61 and Pcat comp 77 ( chem 98,bio 84) i managed a place but never volunteered or shadow a pharmacist so whatever. Honestly im married and have a kid and really would like to stay here but screw Wayne State I not your DOG!! sorry im venting here but still what fing luck do i have lol:D

you had no pharmacy experience. did you expect them to ask you easy questions? I can tell that you don't enjoy answering interview questions. they expect you to know the ins and out of the pharmacy profession. I love answering interview questions and I consider myself an excellent public speaker. I have many months of pharmacy experience and a better gpa than yours and they have yet to interview me. my pcat composite is close to yours. i am expecting an interview sometime in february. i have three interviews in february so i hope i can cancel few of them.

Last edited:

and by pointing yourself out like this can affect their decision regarding your application negatively. i know many admission committee members who enjoy coming to SDN and read about what students say about their school.

and by pointing yourself out like this can affect their decision regarding your application negatively. i know many admission committee members who enjoy coming to SDN and read about what students say about their school.

Yeah, If I was an adcom, I would do the same thing

Last edited:
Honestly XOO again I was just upset and venting if you would have read the whole post you would see the part of me saying "I'm venting" which means I'm not serious. What I am picking up is a sense of jealousy the fact I got the interview and you haven't even heard from them. My mistake I should have remember that there are people like you that would are out after everyone.

Honestly XOO again I was just upset and venting if you would have read the whole post you would see the part of me saying "I'm venting" which means I'm not serious. What I am picking up is a sense of jealousy the fact I got the interview and you haven't even heard from them. My mistake I should have remember that there are people like you that would are out after everyone.

I had a different opinion than you after my previous interviews. The interview should be about you and the experiences that you had. Quite frankly, I wish I get the opportunity to speak as much as I can. The reason they ask you many questions is because they are trying to get to know you better to help them present you to the admission committee. I understand the method schools use to pick students for interviews and pharmacy experience isn't required if you have a high gpa and pcat, but they expect you to know why you chose to pursue pharmacy.

Fair enough, I can accept what your saying but I do not agree. I got a question for you, just maybe don't you think I was venting? but the problem I have is people like you are ready to jump on someone because they said something you do not like or agree with. This is a forum where you sit back and chat for a bit and vent a bit SO RELAX!!!!!!

Test of character...would you write a thank you note for a horrible interview experience?

Just got back several hours ago. They kept stressing the relaxed atmosphere so I did go into the interview laid back....which made it easier for them to pick my brain. I feel like they grabbed my brain stem went to the OR with it.

The questions I got were mostly to find out about my motivation, where I was coming from, and how well informed I am. From what I've heard from others, most of the interviews are laid back. One of the P1s said that during his interview, only one of them asked questions and the other person was taking notes. They have questions in front of them which might be tailored to the applicant. They also asked one question after the other for me and also asked about pharmacy experience because I didn't have any listed.

They said it was going to be a quick ten minute interview so I guess they didn't want to do any talking...because from what I've heard, interviews are usually split 60/40 talking wise to the interviewer...so I guess they want to get students in and out. So imo, don't feel bad if you feel grilled. It might be standard.

Gah, I don't know how I did. I got excellent responses to some questions but others...grrr...I now know I could have worked on the answers better. A couple of the P1 students said they got invites a day after the interview and others take months. Oh man, I'm thinking I failed because I botched the last handshake...ahhh!!!

With that said, they have a strong program with en emphasis in hospital care, with opportunities in retail and research. Their faculty works together in harmony and the results are impressive.

Anyone get accepted yet? I called today, but she couldn't tell me anything on the status of my application. She just said that adcom was holding interviews.

nothing yet, does anyone know how many interviews have they conducted? I heard there will be 6 altogether

they put you into groups of 4 for a certain time and after the tour each person tag has a letter on it ABCD and you go into the room that corresponds to your letter. did you get an interview?

they put you into groups of 4 for a certain time and after the tour each person tag has a letter on it ABCD and you go into the room that corresponds to your letter. did you get an interview?

No I haven't. I have heard from all the schools I applied to except for Wayne.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get one and wish you the best!

For the writing portion, do you get only one essay prompt or do you get more than one? I hate timed essays...ugh...:smack:

For the writing portion, do you get only one essay prompt or do you get more than one? I hate timed essays...ugh...:smack:

You got one and it's a open ended question. Did you get an interview yet?

Yea I have an interview this Tuesday. Did you find that you had enough time to answer the question?

Listen it's not like the personal essay you wrote with PharmCAS where you had a time to make changes, this essay is really a way for them to see how you react to problems in a short period of time and trust me my grammar sucks. I was in your shoes so worried about it and the actual interview, but relax they are real nice :).

I won't be able to relax till after the interview. I just didn't think it would come up so quickly. They emailed me last week and they schedule me for Tuesday. Its my second interview so I know what to expect, but it just seems this one will be tougher than my first one. Thank you for all the help!:)