Aug 24, 2017
Dental Student
Hey everyone,

I'm an FTD looking into applying to IDPs that US schools have to offer.
However, there is a fair chance of not being accepted into any of these schools given the fact that I will only have a few months of work experience after I graduate.
My question is, do I need a degree/certificate to work as a dental assistant or dental hygienist while waiting for the next cycle of admissions?
Is it a good idea overall? (I was thinking about making a few bucks while waiting, and I really don't want to stay in my country lol)
What kind of visa is needed for that? And can I change it to an F1 visa once I get into a school?

Thank you


7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Citizenship and immigration office can give you an answer if you can stay in the country waiting, if you can ligally work on your visa and how much etc
In order to find out what you need to work as DA you need to contact licensing body in your state. Most of the time you don't need much to assist. To perform duties of RDA you need additional training and certification. Often people get just a X-ray certificate
You can work as a hygienist only in Florida and only after pretty complicated certification process
About the Ads