WBCs in Peripheral Blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxnfiend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the research lab right now and can not find the answer to this anywhere but I need to know it for a protocol so I figured I'd ask here:

Does anyone know how many WBCs there are in 1mL of peripheral blood? I found a source saying 600 times lower than RBCs which I know are 5M/mL. Does 8,333 WBCs per mL seem right? Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the research lab right now and can not find the answer to this anywhere but I need to know it for a protocol so I figured I'd ask here:

Does anyone know how many WBCs there are in 1mL of peripheral blood? I found a source saying 600 times lower than RBCs which I know are 5M/mL. Does 8,333 WBCs per mL seem right? Thanks! :thumbup:

No, that's a little on the low side. A normal range for WBCs is about 4.5 -10.0 K /uL. That's 4,500 to 10,000 cells per microliter of blood. There are 1,000 microliters per milliliter, so you are left with 4.5 to 10 million white cells per mL.

I hope my math is correct.

Oh, and your RBC count should be ~5 million per microliter, not milliliter. The micro- milli- conversion seems to be the root of your problem.

No, that's a little on the low side. A normal range for WBCs is about 4.5 -10.0 K /uL. That's 4,500 to 10,000 cells per microliter of blood. There are 1,000 microliters per milliliter, so you are left with 4.5 to 10 million white cells per mL.

I hope my math is correct.
Ah thank you very much! I realized the source I had was just wrong and found a paper with your exact numbers. :thumbup: