WCVM vs. UCVM - Help make a decision?

Started by thnythe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thnythe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I have just been accepted to WCVM (Saskatoon, Canada) and UCVM (Calgary, Canada) and I need to make a decision! Any input would be welcome (from those attending or otherwise!).

My pros:
WCVM:
+well-established/refined (40+ years old)
+strong faculty
+high success rate
+more national/international recognition

UCVM:
+smaller class size (~30 students)
+closer to home (~2 hour drive)
+new program
+new facilities
+less cold in the winter (haha, which does matter a bit...)

My cons:
WCVM:
-far away from home (~8 hour drive)
-larger class size (~80 students)
-cold winters

UCVM:
-new program (this coming fall is the second year of students)
-areas of focus that may not necessarily mesh with what I want to study
-not as well recognized nationally/internationally
-last I saw, the facilities were not completed construction

Any opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
 
Saskatoon is a much more established school, with a history of success. It's also much more exclusive in its acceptance, holding a higher standard than UCVM.

Meanwhile you'll also benefit from a lower cost of living in Saskatoon, than you would in Calgary.

Congratulations, either way.